Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250.. touch screen benefits ?

I'm not interested in playing DVDs. Sat Nav isn't that compelling nice to have but looks dated to me.

Are there other significant benefits for having the screen besides reversing camera?

I'm seeing IS250s that I like that don't have the screen.. which I did really fancy tbh especially for reversing camera but I think I would just about survive without

Less to go wrong if you don't have one..?

I believe it very much depends on what year of vehicle you get. Having an OEM screen is nice for features like climate control and audio playback, but to give you an idea there are pre 2009 NAVI systems with limited features and facelift 2009+ systems which include a few more features. Having a reverse camera with the trajectory lines as well as parallel park assist and not having to deal with the hassle of fitting one yourself alone is a good reason to get a NAVI unit car. 

As far as I'm aware, you only get AUX connectivity with the Pre 2009 systems to get music, but you do get the Mark Levinson audio as an option which Is arguably one of the best stock speaker systems in a vehicle (almost audiophile level). Many people retrofit a GROM VLINE2 unit into this, to not only get Bluetooth audio but a full Android Experience as well as wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. 

Now I have a 2010 Lexus IS250 F Sport which has the facelift Navi unit as well as the Mark Levinson audio which became rarer after the facelift. This gives us USB connectivity to iPhones / iPods as well as Bluetooth music as a standard, which eliminates the need for most people to make any upgrades or retrofits. I however did get a GROM VLINE2 to provide me a full android experience mainly for Wireless apple CarPlay. 

You can opt to replace a non NAVI system with an android unit and get a much better user experience, but do be mindful what android unit you get as you can be seriously degrading the audio quality greatly and even the stock Pioneer audio system is fantastic. 

I have owned IS250 with both sat-nav and without sat-nav screen. I personally would happily buy without sat-nav as it is next to useless and non-satnav cars have much nicer access to all functions via buttons - much easier to use when driving. It is next to impossible to use touchscreen when driving, but to be fair it has "satellite" buttons for most commonly used functions. 

Yes you right - the only actual benefit of sat-nav screen is reverse camera, but even that is surprisingly poor quality. It is enough for it's purpose i.e. to see where to park, but don't expect crisp and clear view. 

Are they much risk to go wrong not really, but they sometimes goes wrong.

Now yes - you can fit GROM to get apple Car Play and Android auto, but again the original screen is fairly terrible quality, touchscreen sensitivity is very poor so your experience overall would be poor. And as far as price goes - you can fit entire replacement system with android and wide-screen which will have all these things out of the box. I guess the only benefit of having sat-nav in this case is that it will save you time on fitting reverse camera.

Finally, I would say all depends on the cost - if there are two identical cars for identical price and one has sat-nav, sure go for that, for free it doesn't hurt, but I would not pay 1 extra penny for it. 

Hi Paul. There are neither benefits or not beneficial to have the touch screen in the is250. It's all down to personal choice. If you think the screen looks dated then why did you go for such an old car? I'm not having a go at you but our old cars are still arguably the best cars on the road. 

Yes the screen isn't as clear as a modern car but it's far more adequate for its use. My rear view camera is as clear as a bell. That clarity depends on ambient light. The nav is also much better than adequate. I have no issues what so ever with mine.

What is it you expect from a 2009 car?

45 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Yes the screen isn't as clear as a modern car but it's far more adequate for its use. My rear view camera is as clear as a bell. That clarity depends on ambient light. The nav is also much better than adequate. I have no issues what so ever with mine.

What is it you expect from a 2009 car?

Sadly I have to disagree - it was terrible and dated even compared to contemporary cars in 2006 and by 2012 it was real eye-sore. Say BMW iDrive on 2006 BMW 3-Series. Camera quality is as well terrible, compared to aforementioned BMW, but as well cars like 2008 Nissan Qashqai or Juke for example ( I am sure same applies to wider range, I just haven't driven many Nissans recently). In short Lexus infotainment system has always been subpar and it still is subpar to this day. In 2030s we will be able to say same about most modern Lexus sat-navs from 2020 - they are not great today compared to other cars of today, they are arguable the worst infotainment systems fitted to any of cars in this class (Audi/BWM/MB). And I mean objectively what we currently have in LC500, ES and LS (best systems Lexus have ever made) is about equal to what was in other cars in 2012-2016. For example new Lexus "widescreen" system fitted to Lexus models since ~2017-2018 is very similar to "professional" system you would find in BMW 4 and 6 Series from around 2012-2014... except BMW controls are far more intuitive and system overall quicker.  

Now I am not trashing the Lexus as a brand, it is indeed one of the best brands on the roads, mk2 IS250 is still one of the most reliable and dependable cars there are and I would gladly drive one, but being objective about infotainment system  - it is very bad. So bad in fact, that I would not miss it one bit in car without sat-nav.

Now again - if you just look into it in isolation. Rear view camera does it job, you can see where you parking... sat-nav somewhat works if you have up-to date maps (although I don't think you can even get up-to date maps DVD for early non-HDD IS now)... so despite taking 10 times longer to enter post-code compared to mid-range smartphone and giving you outright worst route it kind of serves the purpose because eventually you will reach your destination. But the important thing here - nothing exists in isolation... if there were cars which did it better in 2006, then it means mk2 was not the best... and because almost any car in the segment did it better - I think it is fair (and objective) to say it was bad. 

• Like 1

So just what is it you sadly have to disagree with Linas? I've not compared the satnav screen with any other car. I stated my personal opinion. 

As for the quality of the rear view camera. On my car it's clear as clear can be. So it wasn't on yours but that's just how it goes. Just because yours was naff doesn't mean on another car it was naff too. Example. Mark Levinson system. Car is300h premium. 2 is300h built same year both registered within a month of each other. Both cars identical in every respect except one. The ML system. My 1st 300h system was awful. 2nd one was outstanding. So it goes to show just because something is naff in a  car doesn't mean its naff in another similar car.

Paul Simply wants to know is there significant benefits to having the screen or not. So please don't go on and on and on and on like you do. You go well and beyond what's necessary. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments chaps.. 🙂

All taken on board and enjoying the community vibe here..

2 hours ago, scudney said:

So Paul what exactly is it that you are after or looking for 🤔

It's quite simple..

I've struggled to find an IS250 locally with the Sat Nav in a year and trim I like.. they are turning up without the screen.

So wondering if/how long it's worth holding out...

There's quite a pricey one locally but with a superb history and it ticks all the boxes for me aside from the screen.. production date 2011, F Sport bodykit, Mark Levinson system, low mileage, FLSH, in the gorgeous Arctic Pearl.. the screen is the only thing missing.

I do like techy stuff so I was hankering after the screen, but not for any practical reason really and @Linas.P has a point that the buttons offer direct access vs using a touch screen whilst on the move..

Reversing camera would be nice for reversing out of a tight space at home, but I've already sourced a 'blink' camera to help with that..

Just to add my 2p worth, I have a 2008 IS250 with satnav and it works perfectly fine. I installed a updated 2019 disc, which enables me to input post codes whilst on the move. I've also added a digital CD changer which can play music from a USB stick, and I can also plug in my ipod. This is all controllable from the touch screen or steering wheel controls.

The Mark Levinson system is simply one of the best systems I have ever heard in a car. My previous car was a fully loaded 07 plate BMW 330i M sport. 

ML is great, but that has nothing to do with terrible sat-nav. Likewise standard audio with 13 speakers was equally decent on Mk2, not to say ML isn't better, but simply that it wasn't really that big of a deal in mk2 compared to mk3.

I have no experience with the nav version of the IS as my car has the Pioneer system so I cannot comment on the relative benefits but, even in cars with factory nav, I use Waze for navigation so a lack of factory nav does not bother me. There is a very basic reversing distance display in non nav cars.

If anyone can recommend a reliable Android head unit I would prefer that, but this setup works for now.

I use an Android phone, paired with an amazon Echo Auto stored in the centre console plugged into the USB and Aux in sockets for Bluetooth calls and streaming.

Android 10 and 11 have an Android Auto app with a simplified user interface. A MacroDroid app opens Android Auto when Bluetooth connects and I then use Alexa or Google voice commands.

I use amazon Music but others apps can be set as default. Named playlists can be called up by voice and music mutes for phone calls.

My phone holder is similar to this one and the lowered centre section of dash top means it does not obstruct my view.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EReach-Silicone-Non-Slip-Samsung-Different/dp/B01DWEXM82/ref=sr_1_10?crid=32UZU95VWL7TF&dchild=1&keywords=dash+top+phone+holder&qid=1627944236&sprefix=dash+top+phone+ho%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-10

With long Battery life on my phone I don't need trailing charger cables.

Edited by SPB

On 8/2/2021 at 4:38 PM, PJD69 said:

Thanks all for the comments chaps.. 🙂

All taken on board and enjoying the community vibe here..

It's quite simple..

I've struggled to find an IS250 locally with the Sat Nav in a year and trim I like.. they are turning up without the screen.

So wondering if/how long it's worth holding out...

There's quite a pricey one locally but with a superb history and it ticks all the boxes for me aside from the screen.. production date 2011, F Sport bodykit, Mark Levinson system, low mileage, FLSH, in the gorgeous Arctic Pearl.. the screen is the only thing missing.

I do like techy stuff so I was hankering after the screen, but not for any practical reason really and @Linas.P has a point that the buttons offer direct access vs using a touch screen whilst on the move..

Reversing camera would be nice for reversing out of a tight space at home, but I've already sourced a 'blink' camera to help with that..

I think I’ve seen the car you’re talking about on auto trader / eBay and it’s a beauty! The spec is very desirable and while it doesn’t have memory seats unlike the 2010 F sport, I’d say it’s worth the pennies but it’s always worth haggling when possible 😉

I myself haven’t had any problem using the screen while driving, sure it’s resistive and not capacitive but for the era it seems to work well enough. 

if you’re like me and you appreciate your tech you’d benefit from adding a GROM unit to modernise the infotainment and this really brings the car into 2021. I did do a few support videos for GROM to troubleshoot issues I’ve had  and now that it pretty much has full Functionality id take a look at this. 

• Like 1

hi, has anyone carried out any changes to the components of the ML system , such as replacement of speakers or the amp etc?

I'm used to pretty HQ audio systems but i find this ML set up lacking, looking at options to improve if possible & viable

Hi Ahmed. You say you find the ML in your car lacking. I'm not overly surprised. I'm on my 4th Lexus with ML. The 1st was a is300h premiere. That ML was lacking. However my 2nd is300h premiere exactly the same spec year colour interior etc etc etc. But the ML in the 2nd was outstanding. 3rd and my present is250 ML outstanding. 

Now there are 2 maybe 3 scenarios. 1, how long have you had your car and has the ML been lacking from the date you got it.

2, has the ML become lacking over time whilst you've had the car?

In what way is the ML lacking?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links