Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


ISF brake pads


Recommended Posts

Quick question Guys - I have recently had fitted standard pads to the rear brakes and need to replace the front ones also.  Does anyone have a view about mixing non-standard front pads with standard back ones (e.g. Porterfield front pads)?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would have thought, as a general principle, that it is unwise to mix different brake materials on different wheels.

You would be setting up different performance characteristics on the front and rear axles and that surely may lead to different reactions under braking.  I would have thought that the brake pads should behave in an identical and predictable way on all the wheels,

I would - and indeed do - apply the same reasoning to tyres.

If you’re convinced you need a non-standard brake material, then surely it’s best to fit the same all round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LenT said:

I would have thought, as a general principle, that it is unwise to mix different brake materials on different wheels.

You would be setting up different performance characteristics on the front and rear axles and that surely may lead to different reactions under braking.  I would have thought that the brake pads should behave in an identical and predictable way on all the wheels,

I would - and indeed do - apply the same reasoning to tyres.

If you’re convinced you need a non-standard brake material, then surely it’s best to fit the same all round.

totally agree with your principle on tyres, unless you are actually wanting to promote understeer/oversteer, brake pads however dont feel this is an issue, i have on many cars ran more aggressive pads on the front (assuming they are more aggressive?) without any issues, will be trying it on the ISF in the coming weeks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


43 minutes ago, Twellsie said:

totally agree with your principle on tyres, unless you are actually wanting to promote understeer/oversteer, brake pads however dont feel this is an issue, i have on many cars ran more aggressive pads on the front (assuming they are more aggressive?) without any issues, will be trying it on the ISF in the coming weeks

I suspect that issues - if any - are likely to appear in extreme and emergency situations when performance differences are likely to be magnified.  At which point the discovery may be academic.

It’s probably an age thing.  I think of my driving style as ‘brisk’.  However I chose an automatic Lexus for a relaxed driving environment and not to explore the limits of understeer/oversteer on public roads.  I live in a rural environment and such behaviour can prove rather terminal if you encounter a six tonne John Deere coming the other way.

Other than for track use, I wonder in what way the OEM pads are considered inadequate for regular use on public roads?  Just asking….

Link to comment
Share on other sites


20 hours ago, LenT said:

I suspect that issues - if any - are likely to appear in extreme and emergency situations when performance differences are likely to be magnified.  At which point the discovery may be academic.

It’s probably an age thing.  I think of my driving style as ‘brisk’.  However I chose an automatic Lexus for a relaxed driving environment and not to explore the limits of understeer/oversteer on public roads.  I live in a rural environment and such behaviour can prove rather terminal if you encounter a six tonne John Deere coming the other way.

Other than for track use, I wonder in what way the OEM pads are considered inadequate for regular use on public roads?  Just asking….

i ran out of brakes here

Devils Staircase.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, LenT said:

Other than for track use, I wonder in what way the OEM pads are considered inadequate for regular use on public roads?  Just asking….

the std pads on RCF/GSF are well known to create significant amounts of Brake dust and in a number of cases brake squeal, which can be very annoying. They’re also expensive for what they are.  Toyota have in the past issued service notices to change from the OEM brake compound to softer pads on their cars before due to brake squeal. So as a manufacturer they’re altering pad material from std, so it can’t create that much of an problem. We had exactly this on my sons GT86.

Changing from OEM, on the front of my car has significantly reduced dusting, I’ve had zero squeal and I think initial bite from the brakes is better. The GSF brakes are good, but it’s far from having the best brakes of a car I’ve had or driven.

Also as every car has a bias towards the front brakes anyway, having a bit more at the front isn’t a bad thing is it?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership