Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

You may be right, but replacing Lead with a substitute was simpler than replacing water content which this E10 seems to have. Some garages in France were only selling E10 several years ago and it would be interesting to know the profit benefit to Refineries of replacing part Petrol with E10 because the answer to that Question and the fact that Madam Johnson is now running the Governments strategy on reducing Carbon emmisions, this Petrol shortage situation has given an ideal opportunity to "test the water".  I couldn't get E5 locally yesterday, only E10. May not have been a supply problem, but just sold out quickly, perhaps?  Must be more Cars on the road that can take E10 than can't, so why no E5 Super?     

The absence of E5 Stu is not necessarily due to increased demand for it, but possibly due to a deliberate restrictions of its supply in order to promote the use of E10.

I would not be surprised to find that 80% of domestic motorists ( excluding members of Motoring group forums) haven’t got a clue about the introduction of E10.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see if super unleaded becomes more and more difficult to find. I managed to put in 53L of Gulf Endurance (E5 97RON) although I'd have preferred Tesco, Shell or Esso's 99RON.

Does anyone with an LS460 notice any difference on 99RON vs 95RON?

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The absence of E5 Stu is not necessarily due to increased demand for it, but possibly due to a deliberate restrictions of its supply in order to promote the use of E10.

A way of getting "old Bangers" off the roads, considering that no doubt a high proportion are older untaxed vehicles.  If they die a death with Ethanol it will be to the Gov'ts advantage to reduce numbers of Motorists. Perhaps too simplistic a thought.  

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/26/ministers-lose-80-million-revenue-after-scrapping-car-tax-discs

On 9/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, TyrannosauRoss Lex said:

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why early cars are not compatible, and what issues would arise from using E10 fuel. 

First generation direct injection engines use an aluminium for the fuel lines/rails/pumps that can corrode when in contact with high concentrations of Ethanol. It causes a gel to form and pitting of the metal. Later vehicles use a different grade/coated aluminium.

Water in the fuel can avoid this, however the fuel suppliers have to keep the concentration of water in E10 fuel at low levels to avoid other problems.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

First generation direct injection engines use an aluminium for the fuel lines/rails/pumps that can corrode when in contact with high concentrations of Ethanol. It causes a gel to form and pitting of the metal. Later vehicles use a different grade/coated aluminium.

Water in the fuel can avoid this, however the fuel suppliers have to keep the concentration of water in E10 fuel at low levels to avoid other problems.

Thanks for your reply. It seems, for now, E5 fuel is a little tricky to find, but I managed to put in 53L of E5 97 yesterday, and from a full tank it was only a similar amount of E10, so should be quite diluted by now. 

Managed to put in 68L of Tesco 99RON Momentum yesterday to brim the car. Not TOO expensive in today's world at 145.9p/L.

MOT and full service (minus plugs and coolant) Thursday! As an aside, does anyone know if the differential oil needs changing on these? I assume so. Not sure when it was last done so I'll ask them to do that too. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links