Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Helpful Pc Apps

After Billybandit's post, I'd thought I'd start a thread for linking to useful PC applications that I've found useful. Most are freeware/shareware but feel free to add to it. At the moment as I'm at work, I'll just put these down but will update when I get the chance...

ZoneAlarm - Firewall software which works really well and is highly configurable.

Spybot - Search & Destroy - Another firewall/spyware removal program. Can also sometimes find what Ad-Aware doesn't.

Ad-Aware - Rogue spyware/cookie/dialler removal program which has free updates.

Kazaa Codec Pack - This website contains downloads for the Kazaa Codec pack - bascially, if you have ever downloaded a movie file from the internet but haven't been able to play it because it's been encoded in some weird format, this codec pack will sort you out.

This link also contains links to download RealAlternative and QuickTimeAlternative which are basically freeware versions of the respective players but minus the spyware.

This website contains downloads for the Kazaa Codec pack - bascially, if you have ever downloaded a movie file from the internet but haven't been able to play it

Hey!

That's illegal. You can't do that. Besides I always use VirtualDub; usefull for re-combining two half movies as well as squeezing them onto CD with a little editing.

Not wishing to side step the topic but couple of people mentioned putting movies onto CD. I've so far not been able to get a downloaded (non copyrighted :whistling: ) movie onto CD and got it to play in my DVD player. Does anyone have any advice? Does it have to go onto a DVD-R or can I get them onto normal CD's and play them?

are you tryingto make VCD's if so and your having problems and think you have done the conversion correctly you may want to look at the disc media type,, in the early days of me getting into this i found that differnent dvd players sometimes require the disc to have a specific finish on it,, example my samsung dvd player required a specific blue finish, this is to enable the laser to read the disc correctly.

If onthe other hand your doinf dvd discs then that is really straight forward.

have a look at www.vcdhelp.com everything your gona need is there.

Not wishing to side step the topic but couple of people mentioned putting movies onto CD. I've so far not been able to get a downloaded (non copyrighted :whistling: ) movie onto CD and got it to play in my DVD player. Does anyone have any advice? Does it have to go onto a DVD-R or can I get them onto normal CD's and play them?

I believe there are some DVD players which allow you to play DivX, avi and various other file formats but I haven't got any links at the mo. You could try Richer Sounds and see if they have anything.

A chipped Xbox can play pretty much anything considering it's really a PC. I use that to play my downloaded stuff via the TV at the moment.

I managed to download all episodes of Little Britain and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace via bittorrent! I am a happy chappy! :D

i have just bought a tevion dvd/xvid/divx etc etc etc player and it great! was region locked but 10 secs with the remote and it fixed that prob - only about £50 as well. no messing about with leads etc any more and if u have dvd rip movies then the quality is fantastic.

I have a samsung E235 dvd player that seems to play all except Realmedia and quicktime files..

will do cd/cdr/cdrw/dvd/dvdr/jpeg/mpeg/avi/mp3

its a great little dvd player think it cost me £65 it also has easy view so it will stretch wide screen films or fit to screen if you do not have a wide screen T.V

craig

o and i either use nero express or flyvcd to create my vcd but nero is better because it will also do super vcd

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links