Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

dash cam recommendations

finest1

hi all

can you recommend a dash cam. i've not ever ventured into this market, so not sure of what is out there and the technology. however, i don't want anything bulky and wires trailing all over the place either!!

thanks

There are some quite useful threads on this if you do a quick search, this combined with some other member experiences and comments helped me along to decide. I ended up fitting a Nexbase 622GW 2 channel (front and rear) dash cam myself which isn't actually that hard to do once you get our head around things and plan it. I had considered getting the Lexus dealership model GW322 but took the plunge and ended up with the more up to date 4k version for less than the dealership price. In terms of wiring its easy to tuck them into the roof lining and follow the door seals and panels (avoiding air bags), the power can be supplied from the fuse box if you purchase the hard wiring kit and uses a 2 amp "piggy back" fuse holder. There's quite a big variation in prices and its all down to personal choice in terms of whatever your preferences are, I decided if I'm fitting one I may as well fit the rear one as well....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hamish2015 said:

There are some quite useful threads on this if you do a quick search, this combined with some other member experiences and comments helped me along to decide. I ended up fitting a Nexbase 622GW 2 channel (front and rear) dash cam myself which isn't actually that hard to do once you get our head around things and plan it. I had considered getting the Lexus dealership model GW322 but took the plunge and ended up with the more up to date 4k version for less than the dealership price. In terms of wiring its easy to tuck them into the roof lining and follow the door seals and panels (avoiding air bags), the power can be supplied from the fuse box if you purchase the hard wiring kit and uses a 2 amp "piggy back" fuse holder. There's quite a big variation in prices and its all down to personal choice in terms of whatever your preferences are, I decided if I'm fitting one I may as well fit the rear one as well....

If you are going to buy, I recommend front and rear.

• Like 1

Here is a step by step guide from another forum for a Viofo A129 which appears to be a good quality but as I say that's personal choice.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ux-models-2019-present/960258-dash-cam-progress-thread-viofo-a129-duo.html?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ahmed-abrar said:

THINKWARE is the best, i've had installed the Q800 PRO on all my vehicles, front & rear 

From my experience of forums everyone will have different opinions on what they consider as being best, after all the choice is a subjective one. Thinkware, Viofo, Blackvue, Nextbase are all very capable manufacturers each having model ranges to suit customer requirements and budgets. 

• Like 2

I have a Viofo A129 Duo and it's superb.

Easy to install, great quality video both day and night, and small and unobtrusive enough to leave permanently in place without worrying that someone will see it and break in to nick it.

Viofo cameras on Amazon

One of the cameras in the list above is currently on offer for £131.48 here

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, finest1 said:

hi all

can you recommend a dash cam. i've not ever ventured into this market, so not sure of what is out there and the technology. however, i don't want anything bulky and wires trailing all over the place either!!

You’re spoilt for choice, Rishi.  I’ve always had BlackVue cameras but I doubt that any make already mentioned will disappoint.  Much may depend on how many of the additional features that the more expensive products offer you really need.

As has been mentioned, definitely go for a two camera setup.  Also a powered supply system that enables the camera to work in ‘Parking Mode’ when the ignition is off.  This can be either a Power Manager system or a separate Battery.

You’ll find many videos comparing different brands- BlackVue and Thinkware crop up a lot!

As for installation, I thought this link might be useful.

https://blackvue.com/installation-videos/

Most systems will be much the same.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Decide what features you need and what are nice to have.

Thinkware dashcams can incorporate speed camera warnings, fixed, average, traffic light and mobile ones with the database updated every 2-3 months. A very nice to have IMO especially when it is a voice warning telling you how far away from these pesky cameras you are when approaching 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links