Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange rattling scratching noise on cold

when my is250 has been sitting for few days in the cold and go and start it. If I lower the drivers window for the first minute or 2 I can hear a strange scratching/rattling kind of noise. It's almost like something is catching something. It's not loud. Sounds like very thin metal being scratched. I think it's the headshield clips. One of the clip is badly corroded is loose. But if it is that it's strange that it doesn't rattle always. 

Can anyone suggest what kind of round jubilee clip or something that I can place over the shields?

I've been hearing that noise for months but once warm and I've reached my destination there's no rattly noise. Very strange. But general advice is as above.

3 hours ago, james250 said:

when my is250 has been sitting for few days in the cold and go and start it. If I lower the drivers window for the first minute or 2 I can hear a strange scratching/rattling kind of noise. It's almost like something is catching something. It's not loud. Sounds like very thin metal being scratched. I think it's the headshield clips. One of the clip is badly corroded is loose. But if it is that it's strange that it doesn't rattle always. 

Can anyone suggest what kind of round jubilee clip or something that I can place over the shields?

I had a similar problem once when I was on holiday and the noise was driving me mad. Took it into a Autocare garage and when they put it on the lift, they found that yes, the clamps that hold the exhaust heat shields on were either missing or corroded. They didn't have anything suitable but a Toolstation close by had these clips which were as cheap as chips. I know that there not stainless but they have been on now for coming up to 2 years and if they go again, I will get stainless ones. It cured the noise.

https://www.toolstation.com/hose-clip/p21059

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links