Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Facelift RX450

Just had facelift RXL as a service car. Noticed that compared to original 2015/6 model:

1. Better smoother ride with less lean and float;

2. Better more weighty steering compared with way over light original;

3. However, still an odd interaction between cvt and engine on electric/power transition, Lexus have not managed to improve this;

4. Interior looks good but starting to show its age somewhat.

My guess is many RX owners may now go for newer NX model? Will be interested to hear from others on facelift v original here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SSUR said:

My guess is many RX owners may now go for newer NX model? Will be interested to hear from others on facelift v original here.

Guilty as charged!

NX450h+ F Sport on order to replace my 2016 RX450h F Sport.

The RX was the family car that replaced my RC a couple years ago, as the old NX was big enough for my needs but didn't live up to my expectations of the badge (inside and out). So as a longtime Lexus owner the RX was the only option for me (new NX will be my 7th).

I've looked at the facelift but not driven it, and so your first point is interesting to hear as definitely one of my gripes with my one. Second and third are general Lexus/hybrid traits in my eyes, but the last also rings true and so was a factor in my choice. 

Test drove the NX today and it ticks the boxes for 1 and 4 for sure...

We finally have a proper infotainment system!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SSUR said:

I actually went NX to RX in November. Given the price difference between the new NX and current RX it wasn’t a difficult decision to make - on a PCP £100 per month cheaper over 36 months for the RX. The deal was so good it would have almost been rude not to accept it…😆

I’ll run it for three years - and I love it - then either move EV or to an NX once larger discounts are hopefully available and any ‘new model’ bugs have been ironed out.

Also have to be honest here, it was a nice feeling buying the ‘top model’ (excuse me, LS and LC owners!). 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SSUR said:

Will be interested to hear from others on facelift v original here.

There will also be differences between RX models, so not just a question of facelift vs original - at lease 6 different variants:

• Base models have conventional suspension
  • F Sport has sports steering and sports Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) also optional active stabilisers
  • Premier / Takumi have AVS
  • I would expect RXL to have a different suspension set-up due to larger size and weight available with AVS (Premier / Takumi) or without AVS

I am a LS owner here so experienced RXL as a service car, having driven many RXs over the years.

Really interesting points. I thought better ride could be due to added length and weight of RXL.

Also, is the fsport (whether original or facelift) much better to drive with heavier steering and better road feel compared to standard model? 

6 minutes ago, SSUR said:

Also, is the fsport (whether original or facelift) much better to drive with heavier steering and better road feel compared to standard model? 

Well that's very subjective but certainly steering and suspension are engineered to be more of a drivers car, but there is no F Sport RXL.

9 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Well that's very subjective but certainly steering and suspension are engineered to be more of a drivers car, but there is no F Sport RXL.

Most of it is subjective tbh. I like to waft about, and didn’t like the firmer ride and seats in the F-Sport. It really depends what you want from a car - I certainly don’t need the space of the RX, but really liked the soft ride, big seats and V6 engine. Somebody who likes to drive more enthusiastically wouldn’t (generally) want that type of ‘wafty’ set-up.

• Like 2

Yeah, definitely subjective... I came from an RC so it was a bigger change than most perhaps... 

I haven't driven a non F Sport RX450h so only reference points are my previous Lexus coupe or saloons.

• Like 1

Having driven my 2010 RX450h (PX'ed it in for 2016 RX450h Luxury which we took back after a week), a 21 plate UX300 and an 21 Plate NX300 F sport (Courtesy Cars)in the last Month or so, i  have now got the 2016 RX450h F sport ( The one with the Engine Knock!)

It's at Lexus now having Engine Repair done, and i prefer the way it drives, the extra room to the Courtesy Cars and definitely the bigger engine over all the others ive mentioned.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Would be interested in how you would compare the F Sport to the RC?

Night and day in some respects, but the Lexus DNA comes through on both for sure (new NX will be my 7th Lexus).

The RX feels much bigger inside obviously, but I have the pan roof which makes it even more airy against my RC as that didn't have anything, and so felt very cockpit like, which I enjoyed. The ride height difference is stark and so they feel completely different in that regard, but as expected it's the usual looking over everyone feeling safe in a SUV against sitting low and feeling real sporty in a coupe. 

I miss the drive of the RC as the RX has too much body roll and so can wallow a bit, and even though this is improved in Sports+ mode it can't come near to the feel of a low sprung coupe. I do enjoy the additional power in the RX which was noticeable from day one. 

After having a test drive in the NX450h+ on Friday I think it will be a nice compromise for me in terms of family functionality and driving pleasure as roll was nonexistent and even more power!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links