Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Curve Speed Control

Rabbers

I was recently perusing a brochure for the ES and came across a mention of a safety feature called "Curve Speed Control" (or maybe "Reduction" - I am translating from memory), which, as far as I could understand, slows the car down automatically when you are approaching a curve too fast.  I know of systems with acoustic warnings to this effect, but not of one that overrides the driver's judgment.  Has any ES owner experience of the feature, or is it something completely new?

38 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I was recently perusing a brochure for the ES and came across a mention of a safety feature called "Curve Speed Control" (or maybe "Reduction" - I am translating from memory), which, as far as I could understand, slows the car down automatically when you are approaching a curve too fast.  I know of systems with acoustic warnings to this effect, but not of one that overrides the driver's judgment.  Has any ES owner experience of the feature, or is it something completely new?

I have a feeling it only works when under cruise control, but I haven’t experienced or tried it out 

• Like 1

Mine is a 2021 ES + Premium Pack and I have noticed the following that when on Cruise, any input to the steering beyond a certain point will cut power. After straightening the car, wait for anywhere up to ten seconds for normal power to come back on. Quite useful in town driving I must say.

There is also supposed to be faux Torque Vectoring ie when negotiating a curve rather quickly, the inner wheel break is applied. Can't say for sure I have noticed this feature but if on a curvy road and making rapid progress (within the speed limit ie) the car feels planted and not reluctant to change of direction. Body roll is well controlled.

11 hours ago, peniole said:

Under cruise control and uses the GPS maps to slow you down before a bend. …

Yes, this describes the function, and, having checked the current online brochures for the 2022 ES in Italy and France, I see this is the first model year to have it.  I have found no reference to it in the Lexus U.K. site, which, unless it was already previously available, seems odd.

• 1 month later...

It only works when in cruise control, but if you were driving appropriately you probably wouldn't notice it.

I had a similar system on my last car, a Mercedes E class and if you chose to ignore the sat nav telling you to turn off it would catch you out and try to make the turn and apply the brakes leading to a potentially dangerous situation. Not sure if the ES will behave the same, I've only done 124 miles.

3 hours ago, Tony787 said:

It only works when in cruise control, but if you were driving appropriately you probably wouldn't notice it.

Is this your way of telling me I'm still needing to exorcise the boy racer inside? 🙃
I find it can be a little over zealous at kicking in, have mentioned it in the niggles thread.

Corners I can comfortable take at much higher speeds can trigger it. There is a long sweeping corner that requires a couple of adjustments mid corner near us. With one of the adjustments to tighten it can trigger the drop in power. It doesn't seem to matter which drive mode you have set as I've tried them all through it. There are obvious benefits to the system however, and I would absolutely appreciate it on roads I don't know. 

29 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

… I would absolutely appreciate it on roads I don't know. 

I think that would exactly be my own view.  Elsewhere I would probably find it rather irritating.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links