Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ticking noise

Morning all,

I know this has been covered before but I’m struggling to get my head around it. Assistance please.

The car makes a ticking noise which comes from the drivers side on a cold start up for about 10 seconds or so.

However I can hear it a little when accelerating at low revs comes and goes. I’m guessing it’s cracked exhaust manifold. Also the car smells fuely in the cabin at times and under the bonnet on the drivers side it smells fumey.

Many thanks 

Imy

1 hour ago, C.B said:

The engine does have a ticking noise by default.

This is the best example of the cracked manifold noise I have come across.

902408383_ISFCrackedManifoldNoise.MOV

Hi there,

Link doesn't work.

Yeah ive read all sorts online you live in Lancashire as do I any-chance we could compare engine tones? 🙂

Are the manifolds made of cast Iron or Stainless steel?

Thanks

Sounds like the drivers side manifold to me.

Mine did the same, ticked on cold start. If you wound the window down and listened whilst driving from cold and warming up, it started to tick under heavier load accelerating up to speed and then went away at light load once the speed was reached and maintained in a 30mph zone. 

I've attached an image of how they fail, OEM are made from some form of steel.

20220314_133529.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

Hi there,

Link doesn't work.

Yeah ive read all sorts online you live in Lancashire as do I any-chance we could compare engine tones? 🙂

Are the manifolds made of cast Iron or Stainless steel?

Thanks

Pah I just used the standard attachment feature on a post 🤷‍♂️

Try this one instead https://we.tl/t-ChvyUXDqWT

If you want to come and compare noises thats fine by me.

If you need to have a manifold fabricated, these fellas are worth a call http://www.pipewerxcars.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Sounds like the drivers side manifold to me.

Mine did the same, ticked on cold start. If you wound the window down and listened whilst driving from cold and warming up, it started to tick under heavier load accelerating up to speed and then went away at light load once the speed was reached and maintained in a 30mph zone. 

I've attached an image of how they fail, OEM are made from some form of steel.

20220314_133529.jpg

Thanks for this - sounds similar to mine. Will go for a drive later and pay a little more attention on acceleration on heavier loads. Did you have this manifold replaced or welded up? Other side good? Gasket replaced or reused?

Also did the ticking noise disappear from cold start and acceleration? Sorry for the million and one questions!

2 hours ago, C.B said:

Pah I just used the standard attachment feature on a post 🤷‍♂️

Try this one instead https://we.tl/t-ChvyUXDqWT

If you want to come and compare noises thats fine by me.

If you need to have a manifold fabricated, these fellas are worth a call http://www.pipewerxcars.com/

Yea the wetransfer says expired. Do you have a youtube link etc. 

@BTCC_ Racer I had mine replaced under warranty, they only replaced the broken side and they used a new gasket from memory. They can be welded back up by a decent welder.

The ticking noise did disappear once warm, maybe depends how cracked your manifold is ?

If your car isn't under warranty, this could be a golden opportunity to put aftermarket manifolds on or GSF manifolds like another member has done, as well as potentially replace the engine mounts and start motor as a precaution.

There is no real detriment to running the car with a cracked manifold.

Just an annoying noise.

Comes down to how much money you want to spend on a solution

6 minutes ago, 4969_LXS said:

@BTCC_ Racer I had mine replaced under warranty, they only replaced the broken side and they used a new gasket from memory. They can be welded back up by a decent welder.

The ticking noise did disappear once warm, maybe depends how cracked your manifold is ?

If your car isn't under warranty, this could be a golden opportunity to put aftermarket manifolds on or GSF manifolds like another member has done, as well as potentially replace the engine mounts and start motor as a precaution.

There is no real detriment to running the car with a cracked manifold.

Just an annoying noise.

Comes down to how much money you want to spend on a solution

Thank you for the above valuable information.

I'll keep mine oem and have them welded up - its probably a good idea to weld up all four branches on both sides. I think its also worth putting new 02 sensors.

Anyone have the part numbers for the 02 sensors, Engine mounts, and exhaust manifold gaskets? Not sure if there is a parts manual to this car or an online catalogue - sorry i'm relatively new to ISF ownership.

• Like 1

I had the GSF manifolds fitted, Lexus won’t do this, the ISF has a design flaw, I’m not sure if welding would work long time, labour is 10 hours to change as subframe down for access, I’ll have the parts numbers in my paperwork as I had a new O2 sensor as one was jammed in, gasket are the same ISF, GSF, RCF…… if going for GSF u will need the heat shields to as they are different, mine was cracked completely in circumference BUT ticked on cold start up, cold acceleration BUT when fully warm was fine, the acceleration is massively noticeable when changed, especially the GSF as bore size is bigger……. From memory mine cost £1200 to change BUT I had the GSF manifolds, these are about £900-ish a side from memory 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links