Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adaptive Suspension 18' RCF

2 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

As I’m still trying to work out the problem and if indeed one exists at all, wanted to put the car back to stock as it removes a complication that would exist whilst diagnosis is going on.  Should I find that we fix it for the problem to reappear once I put springs back on I’ll take it in with them  fitted, or get techstream myself.

As an reliability engineer, if someone came to me with a problem and modification has taken place, I’d probably put back to stock before getting too deep into an investigation.

As I'm considering getting the lower Swift springs in the future I did try to find out if anyone on the USA forum had experienced any problems and I couldn't find any issues raised.

Let me assure you there is a difference because I very rarely use Sports plus setting as it is just a bit too hard for my likings preferring to let it do it's own thing with the Sports setting.

2 hours ago, B1RMA said:

As I'm considering getting the lower Swift springs in the future I did try to find out if anyone on the USA forum had experienced any problems and I couldn't find any issues raised.

Let me assure you there is a difference because I very rarely use Sports plus setting as it is just a bit too hard for my likings preferring to let it do it's own thing with the Sports setting.

It’s the reason I went Swift specifically, no issues raised.  Others seem to have problems with leaking shocks etc.  I really hope they do find something and the suspension is softened a bit.

On a side note, the Swift springs are brilliant, I very much recommend them if you want to lower the car a bit don’t want to go down the coilover route.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slight update on this, car had full service today and was fine.  

Asked the team to have a look at the particularly hard ride and it seems that although the software does recognize changes in suspension mode from the mode selector between 'normal' and 'soft' the dampers are effectively stuck in their stiffest position. Additionally, there are no error codes stored whatsoever. 

The dampers are 30 way adjustable and all four of mine are at 30 all the time, irrespective of mode selection.  Even in sports mode, the suspension damper position will not go to 30 as its only used for extreme load situations.    Seems there are a few reasons this could happen including the failure of a single shock absorber.  This is because if 1x failed to '1' and the rest were still operating correctly, an unstable ride could be experienced.  Its going back at the end of the month for further investigation as I needed to get home.....

The tech mentioned that my car is extremely stiff and shouldn't be riding the way it is. I'm really pleased that we found a problem and that it seems to be some form of fault that has been there for a while.  Sounds like its just a matter of digging until the route cause is found. Just need to hope now that its going to be a warranty job!

1 hour ago, Jgtcracer said:

Slight update on this, car had full service today and was fine.  

Asked the team to have a look at the particularly hard ride and it seems that although the software does recognize changes in suspension mode from the mode selector between 'normal' and 'soft' the dampers are effectively stuck in their stiffest position. Additionally, there are no error codes stored whatsoever. 

The dampers are 30 way adjustable and all four of mine are at 30 all the time, irrespective of mode selection.  Even in sports mode, the suspension damper position will not go to 30 as its only used for extreme load situations.    Seems there are a few reasons this could happen including the failure of a single shock absorber.  This is because if 1x failed to '1' and the rest were still operating correctly, an unstable ride could be experienced.  Its going back at the end of the month for further investigation as I needed to get home.....

The tech mentioned that my car is extremely stiff and shouldn't be riding the way it is. I'm really pleased that we found a problem and that it seems to be some form of fault that has been there for a while.  Sounds like its just a matter of digging until the route cause is found. Just need to hope now that its going to be a warranty job!

Well at least they have identified the cause. Wow just thinking about the fact yours has been stuck at full hard makes me shudder. Like I have said before on my back to back test drive of a non AVS car and an AVS equipped car I chose to pay the extra large amount of money for the AVS car.

I did come from an air ride suspension AMG which was very much a magic carpet ride and the AVS equipped RCF just about replicated that ride so that's why I bought it.

Hopefully when you get it sorted you can really enjoy what I consider to be a pretty well sorted car because I'm a big fan of the system and the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would give a final update on this thread as the suspension issue is now sorted.  Seems that there was a wire within the connector on the top of the damper strut that was damaged, causing the fault.  Must have been like it for some time as the suspension didn't seem to have been disturbed when I first got the car.   As mentioned above, when the AVS system detects a problem with a damper it will position all other dampers to match, ensuring that stability is maintained (doesn't give any warning lights etc. on the dash however).  Car drives exactly as I would now expect and as a few of you have stated, the AVS system is very much noticeable between settings.  So pleased, totally transforms the ride and enjoyment from the car.

Would also like to mention how good Lexus Newcastle have been, I'm very impressed with their service levels and technical ability and as such would whole heartedly recommend them should anyone be looking to use their services.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Thought I would give a final update on this thread as the suspension issue is now sorted.  Seems that there was a wire within the connector on the top of the damper strut that was damaged, causing the fault.  Must have been like it for some time as the suspension didn't seem to have been disturbed when I first got the car.   As mentioned above, when the AVS system detects a problem with a damper it will position all other dampers to match, ensuring that stability is maintained (doesn't give any warning lights etc. on the dash however).  Car drives exactly as I would now expect and as a few of you have stated, the AVS system is very much noticeable between settings.  So pleased, totally transforms the ride and enjoyment from the car.

Would also like to mention how good Lexus Newcastle have been, I'm very impressed with their service levels and technical ability and as such would whole heartedly recommend them should anyone be looking to use their services.

I knew all along there must have been an issue, like I have mentioned I thought when I went over to 20 inch wheels with tyres to match it would ruin the ride, but it hasn't, in fact I can't really say I've noticed any big change in the ride quality from the standard wheels. 

Well done Lexus for installing a pretty good system, there are better on the market but you just know being Lexus it will probably perform well until the car is too old to worry about. And unlike other marques won't cost a fortune to maintain.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 1:50 PM, Jgtcracer said:

Fantastic result, I’m glad you managed to get this sorted. Did Newcastle say if it displayed an error code? 

7 hours ago, F.A. said:

Fantastic result, I’m glad you managed to get this sorted. Did Newcastle say if it displayed an error code? 

First time it went in there were no codes but I have disconnected Battery a week earlier so may have cleared then.  Second time there was one stored that indicated a passenger front fault.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links