Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Windscreen side trims.

Hi all.:driving:

I had to have a new windscreen fitted in march this year as mine had a crack now i used a well know glass company not auto glass but another big one.

I had them fit my previous screen when we were in lockdown in 2020 but they did not at the time have any new side trim so fitted previous ones.

This time i insisted they had to fit new ones which they did but now the fun starts they fitted them to new screen and  a few days later the near side one was hanging off.

This could take forever to explain but will continue.😉

They send a man down to replace both near side and off side trim and i told him it was not good enough and he said the bloke who fitted the screen said the trim was damaged and tried to repair with super glue.🙄

Any way new ones fitted they lasted a week and broke again.

Had another go at them and  they decided to fit second screen and new trims again.

Fitter turned up and he did not know he was supposed to fit new screen just replace trims i told him he was to fit screen and asked to see trims which were made by Pilkington Glass!!!

Not genuine Lexus parts cheap parts which do not fit with a Pilkington Glass label on them.🙄

Well guess what happened next you guessed it they broke.

Now trying together genuine ones and have spoke to my insurance company who have put in a complaint to the glass installer.

I have also at the request off my insurer sent them photo's and said i want Lexus parts only so am waiting there reply.

Has anybody else had this problem and are genuine Lexus one's any better.

65mike:driving:

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1265.jpeg

I had screen replaced and fitter from Autoglass came with new mouldings, fitted them and they were fine. I don't think parts were genuine as it was just matte black, whereas original was part body colour (gloss black), part matte, but they fitted well and my old ones were very broken, so I was happy with that. Just for reference Lexus ones costs ~£89x2 for mouldings and £8x12 for clips, so Lexus parts alone are near £300, which explains why many fitters don't use them. Pilkington Glass is one of the biggest car glass manufacturers, so it isn't "cheap or bad quality OEM".

Not much to advise here - they have to come and fit the right mouldings and make it happen without braking them or using superglue. If it takes them 5 times, then it is their problem, but they have to do it right. Not sure you can insist to use Lexus parts (depends on insurance conditions), but you may reason with them that fitting wrong mouldings 5 times will cost them more than getting genuine part once. 

What a bummer. I dant get over how they used superglue to fit them when they actually fit via clips in the windscreen frame. Clips are dead cheap to replace, look on eBay. Lexus Parts Direct have the side trim pieces at a reasonable price. I got one from a breakers in Accrington. 

As for new trims with new glass? Not a chance. Because the trim is not attached to the glass itself. You can only get them replaced if the fitter breaks them whilst taking them off.

I used AutoGlass some time ago who replaced the trims.
He even came back the next day to replace one as he chipped the corner off during fitting (cheap aftermarket I assume).

The fitter had problems with the bottom offside corner, still doesn't look perfect now but he did what he could and it isn't noticeable.

I happened to have my camera with me whilst working from home so took a timelapse, for no reason other than I've never tried to do a timelapse.

Hi all.

Vlad they used the clips but they used superglue to stick the plastic down when it split see image 1.

I do not understand why you did not get new trim Keith seem tight fisted to me.

Anyway update i had a call yesterday from the windscreen installers and they have ordered genuine Lexus trims and will fit them on 6th May.😀

So will see what happens.😗

65mike

12 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

You can only get them replaced if the fitter breaks them whilst taking them off.

Which happens every single time... so all decent fitters comes with the mouldings to replace. I am yet to see person who is able to take of moulding without braking it. And yes - most of the time it is clips which brake, but every third one is not the clip itself that brakes, but the small tang on the moulding... and that is it, it can't be fixed and has to be replaced.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links