Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Issues with LexusLink App on NX450H

2 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Following on from Richard's comment, I assume that the relevant permissions have been granted to allow the car, app and central servers to communicate with each other?

Potentially, these include: Connected Services Master Data Consent; Service Connect Communication (might be optional); WiFi Connect (optional); External Vehicle Video Capture (optional). I took these permissions from the Deep Dive tutorial so, being a US video, they might be different in UK. As there is no detailed description of the system, I don't know which are optional, I have just guessed from the description. It may also be the case that opting in to a particular consent could cause a problem by overloading the bandwidth with, say, video data, that is then preventing the timely transmission of other data, such as location and/or trip details.

Just to show me that I am not immune from the problems being experienced by many, since 6 o'clock last night, my location (4 places) has been accurate but the journey information is not (yet) showing in the app  or in the portal log (3 journeys). 

I don’t believe it is a permissions issue because this would result in it never working rather than being intermittent.

I don’t know which network operator Lexus use but I don’t believe it is a communications coverage  issue because a) the software should retry on failure and send data when it next connected and b) when the history is not updating I’ve still been able to connect to the vehicle to turn on heating / cooling.

I have wondered whether the flat Battery problems that some people have had could be related to communications as it would seem likely that the communications was powered from the 12 v supply and in fault conditions/ this could drain the Battery if not implemented carefully.

Whatever it is, it is such a shame that Lexus seem uninterested in diagnosing and fixing the problems.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, Harrier Man said:

Following on from Richard's comment, I assume that the relevant permissions have been granted to allow the car, app and central servers to communicate with each other?

Potentially, these include: Connected Services Master Data Consent; Service Connect Communication (might be optional); WiFi Connect (optional); External Vehicle Video Capture (optional). I took these permissions from the Deep Dive tutorial so, being a US video, they might be different in UK. As there is no detailed description of the system, I don't know which are optional, I have just guessed from the description. It may also be the case that opting in to a particular consent could cause a problem by overloading the bandwidth with, say, video data, that is then preventing the timely transmission of other data, such as location and/or trip details.

Just to show me that I am not immune from the problems being experienced by many, since 6 o'clock last night, my location (4 places) has been accurate but the journey information is not (yet) showing in the app  or in the portal log (3 journeys). 

Update to my last paragraph. Missing trips listed above never appeared in the logs, missing for 24 hour period, but next day it seemed okay. However, first trip today was not recorded but the subsequent two were. Is this perhaps due to a central server upgrade? I've completed just over 7,300km according to the odometer and when I sum all the individual trips, it is 300km less so, whilst I am having some problems, they don't appear as bad as some are experiencing.

Message on the App this morning reads, "Warning, we are having some issues, you might encounter some problems wile using the app. OK"

I take that as positive; one Lexus are acknowledging the problem, two there are (hopefully) changes going on in the background that will give us a better app going forward.

I don't seem to see what people here are seeing on the app.

I can see the last trip (but only the last trip, I can't see how you see trip history?), the location of my car (which gives an option to flash the hazard lights), a lock button and a climate control page.

Where are people seeing their trip history and things like the maximum speed that week?

47 minutes ago, Simon F said:

Where are people seeing their trip history and things like the maximum speed that week?

The app is not very intuitive. Try the following 3 steps

1. 2nd from left menu option at the bottom (3 lines on graphic)

2. Hybrid coaching

3. All trips

Best to forget the score & comments re hybrid coaching, particularly if you are used to driving a hybrid car, it assumes that you are forever driving in utopian situations.

If you are not used to driving a hybrid car there are many better tutorials on how to get the best from one elsewhere on this site and on the web.

4 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

The app is not very intuitive. Try the following 3 steps

1. 2nd from left menu option at the bottom (3 lines on graphic)

2. Hybrid coaching

3. All trips

Best to forget the score & comments re hybrid coaching, particularly if you are used to driving a hybrid car, it assumes that you are forever driving in utopian situations.

If you are not used to driving a hybrid car there are many better tutorials on how to get the best from one elsewhere on this site and on the web.

Thank you - yes, I can see all trips now (well, all that it has registered, which is not all of them).

Still can't see the maximum speed that period, but given that people are reporting it to be pretty inaccurate maybe that's OK.

@Simon F other (fairly uninspiring) features of the app are after selecting “hybrid coaching” scroll down to the bottom of the overview page and you will see 1/6. Swipe from right to left and the other 5 pages of analytics will be revealed.

6 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

@Simon F other (fairly uninspiring) features of the app are after selecting “hybrid coaching” scroll down to the bottom of the overview page and you will see 1/6. Swipe from right to left and the other 5 pages of analytics will be revealed.

We've seen this all too often, from Microsoft to so called 'smart' appliances. It's not the engineers, it's the marketing department. They love the bells and whistles features because that's how they sell products/cars. Sadly, I am still as seduced by this as most human beings are, even though I have come to realise that most are just 5 minute wonders that are of little real value. TBH, I can live with that but what really gets my goat is that the software engineers are always being tasked with dreaming up the next set of bells and whistles rather than sorting out the problems with the core, useful bits of the software.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

I actually see 1/7, but whatever the other 6 pages are will remain forever a mystery as swiping right to left just toggles across to the "all trips" tab, there seems to be no way to see the other 6 pages.

35 minutes ago, Simon F said:

I actually see 1/7, but whatever the other 6 pages are will remain forever a mystery as swiping right to left just toggles across to the "all trips" tab, there seems to be no way to see the other 6 pages.

Scroll to the bottom and swipe almost half way up.

If the first page shows the words “your ave drivers score” swipe at that point.

You can also toggle between week, month and year

As I mentioned earlier, the app isn’t very intuitive 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Ah - got it.  Thanks.

I wasn't swiping on the correct part of the screen.

1 hour ago, RXtoNX said:

Interesting that Lexus have the tazuna design concept to locate the main switches and controls so that they are easily accessed but the same isn't true of the software. The app is probably the worst example of a non intuitive layout but I don't rate the driver profile setup, the instrument display or the other software controlled layouts that highly either. Perhaps that's because the layouts and options are regionalised (USA,  Europe, etc) and therefore not part of the rigorous design and quality control that the rest of the car receives.

I can give an update on the story so far on my Unconnected NX450H+. Customer Relations sent me a message in October to say that there appears to be an issue between the telematics unit in the car and their servers. For that reason they will be in contact with the dealership to arrange to have it replaced. Well it's been in twice since then. On both occasions I was expecting to have the telematics unit replaced.  The first time the service manager told me that unecpectedly there was a delay receiving the unit but they needed to do some more diagnostics. I heard nothing more so January I went into the dealership to find out what was happening. Bingo they looked and the unit was due in the very next day so car booked in. I took it in and was told that they had been told to send it back because this unit is too expensive for the dealership to accept in as a warranty replacement.  Yes you read that right and I am beside myself with anger.

5 minutes ago, GeoffNX said:

I can give an update on the story so far on my Unconnected NX450H+. Customer Relations sent me a message in October to say that there appears to be an issue between the telematics unit in the car and their servers. For that reason they will be in contact with the dealership to arrange to have it replaced. Well it's been in twice since then. On both occasions I was expecting to have the telematics unit replaced.  The first time the service manager told me that unecpectedly there was a delay receiving the unit but they needed to do some more diagnostics. I heard nothing more so January I went into the dealership to find out what was happening. Bingo they looked and the unit was due in the very next day so car booked in. I took it in and was told that they had been told to send it back because this unit is too expensive for the dealership to accept in as a warranty replacement.  Yes you read that right and I am beside myself with anger.

Can you remind me whether you have complete failure with connected services or the standard intermittent issues?

I do think the fundamental problem is that Lexus seem to be clueless/ uninterested in diagnosing the real source of the problems we have … imho it is almost certainly a software issue but I’m not aware of any customers being involved in trying to really diagnose and fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing issues with Lexus Link. Today it only recorded 2 out of 3 journeys and only one correctly! According to the app my car is where I left it last Thursday- 3 miles from where it is now.

Absolute joke in a £55k car.

Definitely poor journey logging.

Yesterday, I drove about 40 miles to a place called Penkridge in Staffordshire, parked briefly in the centre to buy something and then drove a few hundred yards to the cemetary we had come to visit.  We then drove the 40 miles home.  The only journey logged on the Lexus Link app is the few hundred yards from the centre to the cemetary.  Nothing at all on the journey there or the journey back!  And yet it knew the location of the car was our home later that evening - presumably it thought we'd had it towed home 🙄

The climate control from the app seems to work fine for me, so that's nice, but other than that the app is almost entirely useless.

• Like 1

Agreed on the poor journey logging! Haven't studied it but see it missed the first journey out this morning, so assume the same throughout... 

Heating works but I've had scheduled ones fail a couple times, and so needs improving for sure.

Biggest annoyance that persists for me is the profile sync login requests - got to the point where I've had to change my Google password manager generated password for something easier!

• 8 months later...
32 minutes ago, Fernando58 said:

Since I updated my Iphone with version 4.20.1 Lexus Link app no longer succeeds waking up my NX 450h and doesn’t updated anymore status and further informations

There is a new app lexus link +. Have you tried that? In my case the all the issues with missed journeys etc seem to have been fixed

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links