Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. I purchased a 2008 220d before really reading up on them. 

Power is awful below about 1800rpm but then pulls like a train after. 

I've had a remap (now at 200bhp)  EGR has been forced open and deleted but it still is very poor at low revs but still getting 32mpg around town. 

I've also changed the Map sensor. 

Any suggestions? I love the car, just want more pull out of junctions and around my Welsh valleys without having to rev its balls off in 1st gear lol

Welcome Simon,

What you are describing is classic turbo lag and I'm afraid it can't be improved without considerable expense (and even then it might not get much better).

When I had mine I just got used to it and it wasn't much of an issue after that.

Any minute now there will be a rush of people coming on here telling you you should have bought a IS250 instead 🙂

My 2006 220D was the same. Either turbo lag then finally off. HG went at 187,000 miles so scrapped and got £350 from totally honest add on eBay. Was having parts off it, rest scrapped. A shame really as body/interior OK. Engine/gearbox combo not good.

You do get used to it though. Good luck with it.

It was my most expensive car at the time at £1,475.00. Plus new AC condenser and all new tyres, then 18 months later HG went.

Best cheap cars have been Volvo. A 740, 240 and current 1996 940. All auto and petrol.

Have a 2015 Auris Hybrid TS (estate) and that's good and reliable/ cheap to run if a little dull to drive. 

James. 

Lexus.jpg

Cheers for the reply but, Mapped at a better place? You have no idea where I got it mapped in the 1st place. Was told not to take off the dpf unless it was causing me issues as it won't sort the issue I have. 

Or am I being misinformed? 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:59 PM, JamesIS220 said:

and current 1996 940. All auto and petrol.

Sorry to digress but the estate version of the 940 was the perfect family car. A built in child booster seat in the middle of the rear seat and the "Celebration" end of production model came with a metal, fold-down, suitcase/dog guard grille to partition off the load space from the passenger area.

Compared to a 220D, though, its acceleration was probably fairly unimpressive. I expect the mpg was unimpressive too but at 1990s prices nobody really knew what mpg their cars did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Compared to a 220D, though, its acceleration was probably fairly unimpressive. I expect the mpg was unimpressive too but at 1990s prices nobody really knew what mpg their cars did.

Yes, not a fast car, at 11 seconds 0-60mph, but no turbo lag on my stock 1996 petrol AW70/71 Auto with 2.3 litre B230FK low pressure turbo and still drives well with 207,000miles. A good engine match to the gearbox. Economy is not it's strong point either. Around 25mpg average. maybe a bit more on a long run.

Volvo 940 Estate 2.3 Celebration 5d Auto (LPT) specs & dimensions | Parkers

James.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links