Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

STA-BIL 360 PROTECTION. Ethanol protection or snake oil?

I spotted an advert for this product in Classic Car Weekly but am finding it hard to track down any subjective reviews.

https://www.sta-bil.co.uk/products/sta-bil-360-protection-ethanol-fuel-treatment-stabilizer-2-sizes

It says it helps prevent corrosion, which could be good, but I thought I read somewhere that ethanol can also affect some rubber components, which presumably this product can't prevent.

Has anyone used it?

I remember several decades ago using Redex, and presumably this is something similar, but with a corrosion inhibitor included. 

I have never used it, but I know many who swear by it for winter storage of their motorcycles.
However, those have steel fuel tanks, and the LS430 tank is plastic (not sure about LS400) so may be less useful.
It does prevent water separation in petrol that sits for months without use, and that alone reduces most of the corrosion.

• Like 1

What really annoys me with this ethanol directive from the government is that it is a direct assault on the  car owner and under any commercial instance would end up in court.

The greens of this world do not give a toss about anyone else as long as their pie in the sky objectives are pursued at any cost to the individual but have no chance against the big polluting nations of the world.

The damage the ethanol does to vehicles of a certain era is enough to cause the scrapping of same therefore the carbon footprint is multiplied in supplying new replacements and a propotion of evs at a bigger carbon footprint than a petrol or deisel.

Fortunately according to government guidelines my 98 ls400 can cope with ethanol but a lot of vehicles after that year cannot so what does that say about a measured approach .

The wealthy who bought Lexus vehicles are fine but the not so well off who had to buy bog standard transport are going to be forced into buying a replacement for the car the Government policy as ruined.

The future is bleak for anyone who as a car that will not cope with ethanol and these additives may work but are a added cost to what is a very expensive fuel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

........  saw an ethanol free ........  All Electric.......... brand new Lexus 300 ?? today at a local shopping centre ......  alongside a ( huge ) brand new NX  ??? .....  a sales pitch for two local Main Dealers

£62k and £45k respectively I think ......  jeez, quite pleasant looking cars but oh my, so woefully poor interiors compared to the simple quality luxury of even my ancient, slightly worn Ls400 with 239k miles on the clock 

does anybody buy these brand new cars from choice do you think ??:unsure:

Malc

I think it’s greenwash. Diesel is still appalling, I know every little helps but…classic and older cars are not pressing new steel and plastics with less mileage.

There are bigger fish but they’re not easy enough and there is vested interest.

Just use Premium…

Simon in some areas including mine the non ethanol product is scarce and according to reliable informants about to get almost impossible to obtain .Refineries are being encouraged by the government to phase out the octane only products and it also suits them to stream one product on logistic grounds.The united states already as this scenario and in some states for small four stroke and two stroke machines (gardening and construction equipment)they are now selling bespoke ethanol free gasoline in small jerry cans.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links