Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modifications

Lexiguy

The thought " It seemed like a good idea at the time" comes to mind.

Firstly, body lift.

1594931635-mod-monster-lexus.thumb.jpg.9c36619408dc73e767ebdf45718a2443.jpg

Secondly, getting the hump.

0e653bdc005cb69bb41d8b84c55c3de0--lexus-sc-image.jpg.aae6cd38417ff9195b468bfffd213fd0.jpg

Thirdly, my wheels and spoiler is bigger than yours.

1203198684_d69cf4d453a4f1f08860689dff715da5(1).thumb.jpg.20c6c2d248f2b80aeb32148e36f978a2.jpg

I found these while looking at SC430 images on line and after initially feeling nauseous I thought it only fair to share them!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Just  noticed these two. 

Firstly, how low can you go! 

Screenshot_20230103_084255_Chrome.thumb.jpg.48e911ed3c5b8a886f7b2524eb8b461d.jpg

Check the lights out too, I could seriously do with some of them.

"Some people say", that Neil's X1OUT is the most powerful SC430 out there.

Screenshot_20230103_083607_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7e435fb93d80e2612fe2459b1a57a98.jpg

Screenshot_20230103_084255_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean but I can see beauty in some of them, especially the Japanese lowered ones. Although we have a guy who attends the annual meet with a blue one that is on bags but the loss of boot space is too much of a compromise for me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like good value for money. If I didn’t need to keep mine from being taken back to stock to retain it’s value easily I would be tempted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403922825980?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0c2XQ1bCR3S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fgLYK3NFS2u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

This looks like good value for money. If I didn’t need to keep mine from being taken back to stock to retain it’s value easily I would be tempted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403922825980?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0c2XQ1bCR3S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fgLYK3NFS2u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Cheap but who would do such a thing? 🙄

The kit from Poland needs extra work to fit around the headlights of an early model SC430. 

Actual costs for the kit, properly fitted and painted, budget around £3500.

Or perhaps go for the SLC when they complete production......

• Like 2

Hi Neil, thanks for the info. I know you did yours and had quite a bit jiggling to get all the bit’s to fit but you did end up with something special which I did see at the meeting last year. If I did it I would have by a another SC for the project so not really practical and I don’t have a garage or off road parking either. To keep costs down I would also want to do most of the work myself apart from paintwork.

2 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Hi Neil, thanks for the info. I know you did yours and had quite a bit jiggling to get all the bit’s to fit but you did end up with something special which I did see at the meeting last year. If I did it I would have by a another SC for the project so not really practical and I don’t have a garage or off road parking either. To keep costs down I would also want to do most of the work myself apart from paintwork.

Hi Glyn, I think all kits need a bit of fettling, even the really expensive, well known brands from Japan. It's fun to do but you would probably need some dry space/rent a garage/lock up. I modified the kit, filled in the marker lights, had a challenge with rear lights and headlamp washers but it wasn't too bad. When I bought the SC as a project I knew it was going to be an expensive journey, I just didn't realise how long I was going to keep it or how far I was prepared to go with it. I doubt any other SC in the UK could match it for 'entertainment' but if I reveal that it has cost around £22k in mods so far then I think that confirms Perry's take on it.🤣

On 1/12/2023 at 3:18 PM, Perry Mahoney said:

Clearly some owners have far too much spare time and money!  Oh, and no taste whatsoever 😄

For examples of owners with class, subtle mods, see Lex legends Texsexlex in the US and WIL44 in the UK. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Neil E said:

Hi Glyn, I think all kits need a bit of fettling, even the really expensive, well known brands from Japan. It's fun to do but you would probably need some dry space/rent a garage/lock up. I modified the kit, filled in the marker lights, had a challenge with rear lights and headlamp washers but it wasn't too bad. When I bought the SC as a project I knew it was going to be an expensive journey, I just didn't realise how long I was going to keep it or how far I was prepared to go with it. I doubt any other SC in the UK could match it for 'entertainment' but if I reveal that it has cost around £22k in mods so far then I think that confirms Perry's take on it.🤣

For examples of owners with class, subtle mods, see Lex legends Texsexlex in the US and WIL44 in the UK. 

You and Steve (WIL44) seem to be the only ones who have really upped the mods on your cars in the UK.  
I think the general age demographic of owners and their numbers in the UK determine the extent of mods carried out. That plus the cost compared to the value of the car. I myself have spent about £5500 on mods but £3500 of that was on the wheels and tyres alone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

You and Steve (WIL44) seem to be the only ones who have really upped the mods on your cars in the UK.  
I think the general age demographic of owners and their numbers in the UK determine the extent of mods carried out. That plus the cost compared to the value of the car. I myself have spent about £5500 on mods but £3500 of that was on the wheels and tyres alone.

Lots of owners change the wheels, tyres, exhaust and shocks through choice or necessity + a few minor cosmetics but after that it gets a bit tricky.

Looking back through the threads there are few more to be found on here. Toby and Graham weren't at the Coventry meet but they've done a fair few mods. There are a few others but as you say, not many. Aquanuke was prolific in the early days, I think the car is still around the Cotswolds area but I've never seen it in the flesh. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neil E said:

Lots of owners change the wheels, tyres, exhaust and shocks through choice or necessity + a few minor cosmetics but after that it gets a bit tricky.

Looking back through the threads there are few more to be found on here. Toby and Graham weren't at the Coventry meet but they've done a fair few mods. There are a few others but as you say, not many. Aquanuke was prolific in the early days, I think the car is still around the Cotswolds area but I've never seen it in the flesh. 

i met up with Toby last year when I had problems with my muffler delete and saw all the mods he has done to his.  Really nice chap and lives very near me. i hope to catch up with him again this year when the weather gets better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

i met up with Toby last year when I had problems with my muffler delete and saw all the mods he has done to his.  Really nice chap and lives very near me. i hope to catch up with him again this year when the weather gets better.

Ah yes of course, the exhaust issues. Toby is a really good guy and knows his stuff. We met at the Sleaford meet. 

As you say, your SC430 is a lovely example as it is and too good to modify beyond cosmetics or enhancements that don't detract overall or can be easily reversed. So how long before you buy a second SC to go wild with?🙂  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

Ah yes of course, the exhaust issues. Toby is a really good guy and knows his stuff. We met at the Sleaford meet. 

As you say, your SC430 is a lovely example as it is and too good to modify beyond cosmetics or enhancements that don't detract overall or can be easily reversed. So how long before you buy a second SC to go wild with?🙂  

Rather than buy another SC part of me wants to swap the RX for a GSF but the price they sell for is above what I want to spend. They may be rare but around £40,000 for a 7 year old car I think is overpriced compared to other Marques.  If it was £30,000 I would be tempted. They also seem to hang around for bit before they sell which may mean it is not on many peoples wish list.  I bought a four year old BMW X5 M50d from a BMW dealer that was £75.000 new for £29.000 with 60,000ml on the clock.  When I sold it to buy the RX it was 9 years old and I struggled to get £17,000 at 84,000ml.
The first LC500's which I love also go for around £50,000 now but again there doesn't seem much of a market for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Rather than buy another SC part of me wants to swap the RX for a GSF but the price they sell for is above what I want to spend. They may be rare but around £40,000 for a 7 year old car I think is overpriced compared to other Marques.  If it was £30,000 I would be tempted. They also seem to hang around for bit before they sell which may mean it is not on many peoples wish list.  I bought a four year old BMW X5 M50d from a BMW dealer that was £75.000 new for £29.000 with 60,000ml on the clock.  When I sold it to buy the RX it was 9 years old and I struggled to get £17,000 at 84,000ml.
The first LC500's which I love also go for around £50,000 now but again there doesn't seem much of a market for them.

I agree entirely, would love an LC500, I regard it as the new Soarer but couldn't justify £60k or indeed near £40k for a GSF. The GS460 is my poor man's GSF for now. It's ultra rare, practical, quick and understated. The RX is just a luxury tool. Testers wrongly compare it to a Range Rover conveniently forgetting the LX570 and Landcruiser. With some M+S winter tyres on it, there's not much the RX wont do - tyres are the only thing I've modified on that one.🤣

I should really sell the SC as it was finished a while ago but I might just try another couple of mods before Spring arrives. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil E said:

I agree entirely, would love an LC500, I regard it as the new Soarer but couldn't justify £60k or indeed near £40k for a GSF. The GS460 is my poor man's GSF for now. It's ultra rare, practical, quick and understated. The RX is just a luxury tool. Testers wrongly compare it to a Range Rover conveniently forgetting the LX570 and Landcruiser. With some M+S winter tyres on it, there's not much the RX wont do - tyres are the only thing I've modified on that one.🤣

I should really sell the SC as it was finished a while ago but I might just try another couple of mods before Spring arrives. 

I would hang on to your SC it is really unique and special plus you have put so much time and effort into it as well as money.  You never know if you do sell it you might wish at some point you hadn’t.  I am getting on a bit now and in 53 years I have owned nearly 30 cars but my SC is the one I feel most attached to. The RX is a lovely car and I really like it but it is not quick nor particularly economical. I recently changed the tyres on the RX to Michelin Sport EV tyres and they give a lot harder ride so I now wish I had gone for the non EV ones but having spent £800 on them I am stuck with them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I would hang on to your SC it is really unique and special plus you have put so much time and effort into it as well as money.  You never know if you do sell it you might wish at some point you hadn’t.  I am getting on a bit now and in 53 years I have owned nearly 30 cars but my SC is the one I feel most attached to. The RX is a lovely car and I really like it but it is not quick nor particularly economical. I recently changed the tyres on the RX to Michelin Sport EV tyres and they give a lot harder ride so I now wish I had gone for the non EV ones but having spent £800 on them I am stuck with them.

No matter how much I abuse it the RX just keeps going and going and with decent tyres it's a proper 4x4. I'm not particularly attached to the SC but I do understand how that can happen. It's been great fun but it's served its time. I did try to sell it a couple of times in the past but no one was brave enough to take it on and so the modification has continued. It almost had a new owner (a fellow enthusiast) a couple of years ago but that didn't work out either.   

The only car that I really regret selling was a very nice modified high spec TT Soarer for a bargain price to a young guy from Hamburg who managed to write it off about 30 miles from getting it home. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 11:12 PM, Neil E said:

No matter how much I abuse it the RX just keeps going and going and with decent tyres it's a proper 4x4. I'm not particularly attached to the SC but I do understand how that can happen. It's been great fun but it's served its time. I did try to sell it a couple of times in the past but no one was brave enough to take it on and so the modification has continued. It almost had a new owner (a fellow enthusiast) a couple of years ago but that didn't work out either.   

The only car that I really regret selling was a very nice modified high spec TT Soarer for a bargain price to a young guy from Hamburg who managed to write it off about 30 miles from getting it home. 

Your GS460 is certainly a rare car that I didn't know existed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Your GS460 is certainly a rare car that I didn't know existed.

It is indeed a very rare thing in the UK. Shame Lexus didn't put the 8-speed 1UR-FSE into the SC430 with some upgraded tech, suspension and brakes. 

• Like 1

Hi Neil

Yes you are right, there are several easy upgrades that Lexus could have brought to the SC430 which may have helped its longevity.

But if they had, you wouldn't have enjoyed all that fun you have had with yours! 😆

Anthony 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Neil

Yes you are right, there are several easy upgrades that Lexus could have brought to the SC430 which may have helped its longevity.

But if they had, you wouldn't have enjoyed all that fun you have had with yours! 😆

Anthony 

Haha very true Ant.

A few obvious enhancements through proper manufacturer due diligence would have made it a better car out of the box. It bugged me that Lexus put so much effort and resource into making the previous Soarer so special and downgraded the SC430 in so many respects.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links