Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is that big orange steering wheel image?

Recently, I sometimes see a large (full screen) image of an orange steering wheel in the info screen (next to the speedometer). This image is only visible for a second (or less), with text below it. It's visible in a flash and I haven't been able to read the text yet.
I have no idea what it means. I can't find it in the manual and I can't even find it with Google searches.
Is it related to the LDA perhaps? The LDA is activated and set to: steering assist = on and alarm = vibrating steering wheel. The LDA works fine; I occasionally feel the steering wheel vibrate and feel the steering corrections, but I don't see that image appear with these alerts.  The appearance of this image rarely happens.

Does anyone have an idea what this is?

I don’t know of a full-screen image of the steering wheel symbol with or without an accompanying text, or relatable to the LDA, but if there is an exclamation mark next to the image it would be warning you of a malfunction in the power steering system.  Texts accompanying warning symbols usually tell you to immediately take the car to a dealer for inspection.

@Renato : there's definitely no exclamation mark to be seen.  It is a full size orange steering wheel with a white text underneath.  And it's just a second or shorter, too short to read the text anyway (what's the use of such a message if it's gone in a second and you can't barely read the text).

@Moleman : you think of an alert if I'm not holding the steering wheel correctly?  Well, I can try to simulate that (carefully of course). Are there sensors in the steering wheel to detect this?  It's just an image, there's no buzzer (like with the -also orange- "Brake!" alert).

12 hours ago, Moleman said:

With using the LDA, this could come up if you are not holding the steering wheel correctly or it believes you are not holding at all.

10 hours ago, peniole said:

It thinks you aren't holding the wheel.

Confirmed.  Tried this morning, and the symbol appeared on the MID after I took hands off the wheel for 3-4 seconds and the car started to drift.  Strangely, this only happened at the second attempt although there appeared to be no appreciable difference in times and amounts of drift.

This is my second car with LDA, so I must have been doing something right over the years.  Not that I often switch it on except on the motorway.  The only related warning I had previously seen was the coffee-cup symbol/invitation to take a rest as a consequence of excessive sway and frequency of lane departures, invariably on winding roads when I forgot to switch the system off.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links