Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Sludge Treatment is the new Air Con recharge....

Mincey

Just booked Betsy in for a service and was asked whether I wanted £16 worth of engine treatment gubbins to clear out any sludge etc. I was surprised as I was expecting to be asked whether I wanted her aircon regassing. Perhaps it's a time of year thing?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cdmaskell said:

Ye Gods, sludge in Betsy engine!  What ever next.  Seriously do Lexus engines sludge up? Very doubtful.  

I was rather incensed by the insinuation actually. I wonder whether the person taking my booking was new and had previously worked for a German manufacturer?

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Mincey said:

Just booked Betsy in for a service and was asked whether I wanted £16 worth of engine treatment gubbins to clear out any sludge etc. I was surprised as I was expecting to be asked whether I wanted her aircon regassing. Perhaps it's a time of year thing?

I would have been tempted to ask if they also stocked any snake oil ?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, peniole said:

You mean this:

Yes, that sort of product.

There is no way a 2 year old engine that has been using Toyota 0W-16 oil would need a flush though. So I'd certainly be asking the dealer why they think it is needed, I'm sure they wouldn't admit they haven't been using quality oil during the previous services.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes, that sort of product.

There is no way a 2 year old engine that has been using Toyota 0W-16 oil would need a flush though. So I'd certainly be asking the dealer why they think it is needed, I'm sure they wouldn't admit they haven't been using quality oil during the previous services.

Given what they charge per litre of the OEM 0W-16, and put in writing on the receipts, that would very bad legally if proven.

• Like 1

Have to admit that I went along with an engine oil flush at the 1st service. Didn’t cost a lot in the grand scheme of things and in the days when I used to get my hands dirty, I always did it. Probably a waste of time and as a chemist who is dubious of claimed longevity of modern oil, it would probably be better to change oil at 5-6 thousand mile intervals.

Well known fact that long oil change intervals are there to tempt the fleet boys who will be dumping the vehicles after 3 years.

• Like 1

This was a pattern decades past in which dealers offered a flush and fuel tank cleaner at a healthy margin. I would ask in writing if it was Lexus approved rather than a dealer franchise money maker. Seems more sensible to suction old engine oil out at 6 months/5k miles and then put fresh oil in. Can be done with a suction pump in 15 mins and should get around 80% out approx

When I used to work on cars myself I would always ensure the oil was at temperature and then let the oil drain for at least 2-3 hours so pretty much all the heavier deposits would drain out naturally, obviously at a dealers that won't happen.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links