Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruising range decreases when running in EV mode

I've noticed something odd happening in the last couple of weeks. When I'm driving in EV mode, so the green EV light appears on the left hand side of the console, the Cruising range decreases. I'm sure it never used to do this. The manual says the Cruising range is an estimate based on the remaining fuel, but if the car is only running on Battery, surely the Cruising range should not change when running on Battery?

I rang my local Lexus garage and was given a wide variety of reasons why this could be happening. One reason suggested this was due to the recent cold weather. Another was tyre pressure changes. They also said the Cruising range is based on petrol and Battery charge!!

I've had my NX300h just over 6 months now. Does anyone else see this or this a user problem?

Thanks,

Phil

Cruising range is calculated over a longer period of time than just a brief period of EV running.

When running in EV mode your range should be decreasing because the calculated range already assumes an amount of EV running based on history.

• Like 2

Hybrid cars can run in ECO, Normal and Sport mode.

EV is very limited if the hybrid is not a plug-in.

Run in ECO and air-condition is less powerful than in Normal or Sport mode.

We trust that Lexus/Toyota know what they are doing and drive almost always in Normal mode. Never pressing EV button.

Have not found that driving in ECO will give much better fuel economy, but far less temperature adjustment in the cabin (we live in a place where the climate is summer all year long), when weather is hot, we have inside temperature regulated between 24 and 27 degrees C in order not to have too big difference when going out of the car.

Normal mode will also be better for colder areas, as air-condition, where it is cold and wet, keeps cabin dry.

• Like 1

I find that normal mode normally gives me my best economy and range. EV mode is only useful for moving the car short distances around my drive to save the engine starting for a short period. ECO mode gives the best economy when travelling in 50 mph motorway roadworks when brisk acceleration is neither needed or desirable. I have found that using ECO mode in normal driving reduces fuel economy because you have to accelerate harder to achieve the same response that you’d get in normal mode. Sport and sport + improve acceleration and reduce economy if used briskly but in normal driving doesn’t make much difference. I think that normal mode is the most efficient because that’s what Lexus engineers have designed it to be most efficient. I may be totally wrong but that’s my experience. I also have a GS which may work differently. 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:52 PM, ColinBarber said:

Cruising range is calculated over a longer period of time than just a brief period of EV running.

When running in EV mode your range should be decreasing because the calculated range already assumes an amount of EV running based on history.

This is also my experience. If I fill the tank and the engine is warm and I poodle along for a few miles the range is huge. However if I fill the tank and drive sportingly the range drops dramatically quickly. But over time with a range of driving styles the calculated range balances out. 

21 hours ago, PhilBlake said:

Thanks for your reply Colin. Sounds like the manual needs updating if the Cruising range is not just based on the remaining fuel in the tank 🙂

It's correct in that it is based on the remaining fuel but in combination with your short to medium term average mpg, which is based on ICE, hybrid and EV running.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links