Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre choice dilemma

Glyn Jennings

So having got my new alloys for the SC430 I now need to get some tyres. The wheels are Front 19” 9.5J et35 and Rear 19” 10.5J et35. 
The recommended size according to an online fitment guide is front 255/35 and 285/30 on the rear. These sizes maintain the same overall diameter as stock. I was going to get some Michelin Sport 4 tyres but they don’t do a 285/30 only a 275/30 and even those are not estimated to be available for at least a month. So the Michelins are now out of the equation. Any recommendations for a different brand of tyre especially in relation to road noise or one’s to avoid? Also any comments on the wheel and tyre sizes in relation to rubbing bearing in mind I don’t intend to lower the car or change the suspension. Neither am I a fan of stretched tyres or negative camber.

Finally do you think I would be better off to to any Alloy wheel shop or a regular tyre place for fitting?  Elite wheels are in the town where I live.

Thanks in advance. Glyn 

I have found Kwik Fit can fit Michelin Sport 4 S 255/35 R19 and 275/30 R19 on Monday so I have gone with them.  There only seems to be 3mm in side wall height difference between the 275/30 and 285/30 tyre.  If I hadn't been able to get the Michelins then I would have gone for the HanKook's although they don't seem to be that easy to get hold of either.

32 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I have found Kwik Fit can fit Michelin Sport 4 S 255/35 R19 and 275/30 R19 on Monday so I have gone with them.  There only seems to be 3mm in side wall height difference between the 275/30 and 285/30 tyre.  If I hadn't been able to get the Michelins then I would have gone for the HanKook's although they don't seem to be that easy to get hold of either.

Won`t a 35 or 30 profile on an SC430 lead to an uncomfortable/ harsh/noisy ride Glyn and the prospect of Kerbing ?

34 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Won`t a 35 or 30 profile on an SC430 lead to an uncomfortable/ harsh/noisy ride Glyn and the prospect of Kerbing ?

The Michelin tyres have rim protectors so that should help against kerbing but I will need to be careful. They are also supposed to be a fairly quiet tyre. I have done lots of research and the 35 front 30 back is what most people go for to maintain as near as possible the right diameter for speedometer accuracy and rim width when aftermarket wheels are fitted. Obviously 19” wheels will never be as nice a ride as stock but that is the compromise. The new side wall height will be 82.5mm on the rear and 89.5mm on the front as opposed to the original 98mm stock wheels. One thing I hadn’t realised is that the J measurement on a wheel is the gap between the inner edge of the rim so the overall width of my rims are 10.5” and 11.5” so they look huge with no tyres on them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

The Michelin tyres have rim protectors so that should help against kerbing but I will need to be careful. They are also supposed to be a fairly quiet tyre. I have done lots of research and the 35 front 30 back is what most people go for to maintain as near as possible the right diameter for speedometer accuracy and rim width when aftermarket wheels are fitted. Obviously 19” wheels will never be as nice a ride as stock but that is the compromise. The new side wall height will be 82.5mm on the rear and 89.5mm on the front as opposed to the original 98mm stock wheels. One thing I hadn’t realised is that the J measurement on a wheel is the gap between the inner edge of the rim so the overall width of my rims are 10.5” and 11.5” so they look huge with no tyres on them.

ok Glyn, you seem to be well informed. Enjoy the Michelins.

35 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

ok Glyn, you seem to be well informed. Enjoy the Michelins.

It is a step into the dark but hopefully it ends well. I won’t be getting rid of the OEM wheels so if I don’t like the new set up I can always put them back on. The new wheels are very rare and the wait for a new set is at least six months so if it comes down to it they should be quite sellable but let’s hope that isn’t necessary.

• Like 2

Hi Glyn

I run my car on Michelin Pilot 18's and have been highly delighted with them.

I do like the look of 19's cosmetically but would hate to loose the ride comfort of the 18's.

Please show us some close up pics of your new wheels and tyres.

Anthony  

• Like 1

Hi Anthony. I will post some pictures when on the car.  New locking wheel nuts arriving Monday from US as well.  Still waiting for new wheel nuts as the standard Lexus wheel nuts are different to what you need for new Alloy wheels. I have already got some spigot rings.  This has been a very expensive exercise but she's worth it to me although the other she is not of the same opinion.

• Haha 1

Hi Glyn

My wife Claire named my SC430 Gina and refers to her as my other woman.

Gina is not an economy model but what mistress is! There again, the wife claimed to be an ecomomy model before I married her, but she soon drifted into the high maintenance bracket!!

I can't believe how much I have spent on Gina but she is worth every penny. She has beautiful lines, makes me smile every time I see her and she is a right goer!!!

(DON'T TELL THE WIFE)

Anthony  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would say the rear set up at 285 30 19 on 10.5 is 'spot on' perfect for best grip/handling, 9.5 width rims at the front may be a tad too wide for a precise steering feel and it will tramline a bit in lane 1. With such wide rims and low profile tyres it's always going to be quite a harsh ride on all but the best road surfaces and until the ARBs are upgraded, it's going to grip but sway around the curves when pushed. As said above, that's the compromise but it will look amazing.🙂

• Like 2

Today was the big day after waiting for 6 months for these wheels. I went down to Kwik-fit in the RX to get the Michelin 4 S tyres fitted. When I opened the rear tailgate the guy went Wow they are sic wheels. Then all the other tyre fitters came over to admire them. The Kwik-fit guys were great despite the reputation the company seems to have. I had put tape around the rims to protect them and they put even more on as they were as nervous as I was about fitting. An older more experienced guy came out of the the office to fit them while the others watched. 
Even he said he was nervous about fitting the tyres and put the tyres on from the inside rim of the wheel rather than outside. 
So I came back home fitted them on the car straight from the RX and finishing them off went to get the centre caps from the garage only to find the spigot rings I hadn’t fitted so they all had to come off again. Anyway all done now and I am pleased with result. The styling I know won’t be to everyone’s taste, my wife even said they look a bit bling.  They fill the arch’s out nicely and I am sure if I was prepared to lower the car they would look even better. I just have hope they don’t get stolen. I have fitted two types of locking wheel nuts one set from the US which were expensive however I can’t believe that anyone can purchase something readily available from Halfords that will remove any locking wheel nut with ease. Doesn’t seem right to me. 

I went out for a drive and I was pleasantly surprised how good the ride is still. Definitely a little bit firmer but still a comfortable ride. Far and away better than my previous last 4 BMW’s with M Sport suspension and run flat tyres I owned.99ACB37A-4AB8-4116-8DA5-874386C29784.thumb.jpeg.dcd54e053436350b5244fd649b4b3920.jpeg

7C68F553-8251-4A40-B50E-DCD4E9337782.thumb.jpeg.cf65a037f0139eb2f4a0908bef4e983e.jpeg

69010BE4-29FB-4DB0-8A4E-C04F089BB935.thumb.jpeg.3d3fe4baaf43fa5df85bb80b57b9e063.jpeg

241101AD-B172-4B5C-9D87-49E5C4CE4F87.thumb.jpeg.22c5ae00a7e5f96d0997657f1cdb8ca1.jpeg

D8ADC856-22DF-45C2-B2C2-5038048A9D24.thumb.jpeg.caddac9ccbab42ee84e5d05c2615d8ae.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

They make the car look more of a classic roadster, a modern slant on a 1930s sport coupe perhaps. It needs a pic in front of some art deco architecture like the Chrysler Building in New York. It's good that the ride quality is still acceptable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Localhero said:

Wow!! Stunning car (the best colour) but if I had those wheels I would not park it less than 12 ins away from any kerb 🙃

Thanks. I personally like brightly finished wheels with dark body colours, especially blue. However I never realised before how polished rims show every mark. I probably will always park drivers side to the kerb so I can see the distance to the kerb. My RX has side cameras which is so handy. I understand from Calvin at SC430mods.com that he is intending to do an add on to his reverse camera setup to add front and side cameras at some point. That would be a bonus for me.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links