Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12V Battery replacement for LS600H

53 minutes ago, Exdee said:

Hello everyone,

I am curious if any of you have tried a battery other than the OEM Panasonic in the LS600H.

Thanks

As long as it physically fits where it should, any should be fine. Yuasa are a well respected brand.

When I purchased my Ls600 it had a standard Battery and was running fine but as winter was coming I just ordered a replacement Battery from my Lexus dealer and, having replaced batteries on my Ls400 and Ls430 I had a real shock when I had to pay for the Ls600h Battery (no I hadn't asked the price beforehand) but was told this was specially designed so as to avoid a fire from the combination of the 12v Battery and the hybrid Battery.  I thought/think the extra cost is well worth to avoid a fire/explosion but an ordinary Battery was certainly working. Pay your money and take your choice.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, GEN said:

When I purchased my Ls600 it had a standard battery and was running fine but as winter was coming I just ordered a replacement battery from my Lexus dealer and, having replaced batteries on my Ls400 and Ls430 I had a real shock when I had to pay for the Ls600h battery (no I hadn't asked the price beforehand) but was told this was specially designed so as to avoid a fire from the combination of the 12v battery and the hybrid battery.  I thought/think the extra cost is well worth to avoid a fire/explosion but an ordinary battery was certainly working. Pay your money and take your choice.

You raise a good point re original Battery being AGM. The replacement should ideally be AGM too to avoid any acid from spilling in the boot in the event of an accident.  

I have just discovered that the 12V Battery is not used to start the engine which explains why the original Panasonic Battery is a modest 68AH and 500CCA.

I'll measure the physical dimensions of the OEM Battery and take things from there. I am sure Bosch will have an AGM Battery with a 5 year warranty which will fit and be half the price of the Panasonic from Lexus.

On 10/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, GEN said:

I had a real shock when I had to pay for the Ls600h battery [...] but was told this was specially designed so as to avoid a fire from the combination of the 12v battery and the hybrid battery.

Hmm... methinks these are the words of a salesman whose job it is to sell things, rather than to have any technical knowledge of the subject.

"Avoid a fire from the combination of the 12V Battery and the hybrid battery" is just waffle and means nothing in this context.

• Like 1

That may be; but:

1. He was not having to sell me anything as I had sold it to myself.

2. The "waffle" is mine as I didn't even indicate that I was quoting him directly. In fact I was summarizing what I understood him to say.   The technical details I don't recall as I'm not a technical person.

14 hours ago, Exdee said:

Bosch will have an AGM battery with a 5 year warranty which will fit and be half the price of the Panasonic from Lexus.

on a more simplistic note ............  when replacing my ordinary 12v Battery I seemed to have used the Lexus - Toyota spares dept in Canterbury .....  OK it's not very often of course ......  BUT the OEM and actually Yuasa supplied Toyota Battery was hardly more expensive than from anywhere else ............ and of course fits a treat 🙂

And I did various on-line comparative searches for pricing etc too

Malc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

on a more simplistic note ............  when replacing my ordinary 12v battery I seemed to have used the Lexus - Toyota spares dept in Canterbury .....  OK it's not very often of course ......  BUT the OEM and actually Yuasa supplied Toyota battery was hardly more expensive than from anywhere else ............ and of course fits a treat 🙂

And I did various on-line comparative searches for pricing etc too

Malc

Absolutely agree - have/will use Lexus dealer for my 12v Battery.  

• Like 1

It is a 12volt Battery. It 'tells' the big Battery to awake and start up.

I have had a Prius in the same mode. A 5 year Bosch Battery was top drawer and did the job perfectly.

My LS430 is on a Yuasa 5 year guarantee Battery from Halfords (best price at the time).

Buy the best Battery for the price.

Lexus do not make batteries...... they buy them in. A Lexus Battery is another brand...... made to look like a Lexus posh Battery.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I've not yet seen a Lexus Brand battery

Malc

I think the point being made is that you don't need to buy a Battery that is sold as a lexus part with a lexus part number. This Battery is close to £300 from Lexus. A decent 12V AGM Battery is going to be between £110-£125. 

Whilst, I am a fan of using Manufacturer parts, I don't think this is an area where it's necessary. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are very few global companies that make batteries anyway. It is a bog standard part. Choose one from a well established maker. It is that simple.

21 minutes ago, MLW said:

There are very few global companies that make batteries anyway. It is a bog standard part. Choose one from a well established maker. It is that simple.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:03 PM, Exdee said:

Leaving all sorts of things aside (i.e.: how sensitive these cars are to batteries, the question of whether Toyota test the batteries they sell, etc.), why not replace anything that can be replaced with a "bog standard" item?  Even better why not just drive a "bog standard" car to begin with?😂  Plenty around and way cheaper and it's still transport with wheels, seats, etc. Made from the same sort of materials....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GEN said:

Leaving all sorts of things aside (i.e.: how sensitive these cars are to batteries, the question of whether Toyota test the batteries they sell, etc.), why not replace anything that can be replaced with a "bog standard" item?  Even better why not just drive a "bog standard" car to begin with?😂  Plenty around and way cheaper and it's still transport with wheels, seats, etc. Made from the same sort of materials....

I guess money isn't a priority for you, which is fair enough.

We're just trying to point out that there's no such thing as a 'Lexus' Battery and the one that Lexus supply has only been bought in from the Battery manufacturer, had a Lexus label slapped on it and then sold out to people who think they're getting something special when they're not. The Battery will have come from somewhere like a Yuasa factory or a Panasonic factory here on Earth just like hundreds of thousands of other batteries, rather than being created in a mystic ritual on the planet Lexi where the Battery is filled with the tears of a purple Unicorn at midnight on the Winter Solstice instead of normal Battery acid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Planet Lexi is a new idea to me, but what is your factual basis for asserting that all Toyota does is slap on a label and overcharge?  Are you familiar with the concept of "OEM" = meaning close or same as manufacturer specs?  You may have heard of Porsche rated tyres?  If you read around you'll find that Lexus cars are very sensitive to their batteries.... My personal experience (previous cars: original Mini, Ford Ltd, Fleetwood Cadillac, Ford Thunderbird, Volkswagen Passat, Porsche 928 GTS, and 3 Lexus LS, respectively 400, 430) is that there seems to be no such thing as a "bog standard" Battery, all behaving differently.  Worst one was of course in the Mini, the best in the Passat (it lasted for an incredible 10 years) whereas the Porsche died in 1 year and I then replaced it with the second best which was a Bosch S5.  For Lexus I have always used the Toyota ones (same cost as "bog standard", never let me down and fitted for free)(exception costwise is the one for the LS600h).

As for money priority perhaps you haven't yet come across  the saying and reality: "I'm too poor to buy cheap things".

All the best or maybe just the "bog standard"?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, GreatCrosby said:

So...... can anyone provide the name & spec of a battery that is a suitable replacement on the LS600H, that can be ordered offline & be virtually like for like?

TIA

I cannot provide you with the answer just share my experience:

My car is serviced by a Lexus dealer so I told them to order a new Battery, then took the car, they fitted and then the bill!  Over £200!!! (my previous Ls 400 &430 took a standard 12v Battery (cost from Lexus under £100... Explanation provided me : the 12V Battery for Ls600 is specially made so as to avoid starting a fire with the hybrid Battery.  All good and well ... Next time I told the dealer to order me another Battery in case the problem I was experiencing was because of the Battery.  They advised me that the special Battery was not immediately available so they would get me a standard Battery!  (Temporarily?  I don't know, in the event I didn't need it.) So I guess it's your choice.  Have no idea where you could the special Battery other than Toyota/Lexus.

On 10/6/2022 at 5:10 PM, Exdee said:

Hello everyone,

I am curious if any of you have tried a battery other than the OEM Panasonic in the LS600H.

Thanks

Hello,

I was in the process of purchasing a replacement Battery for my LS600hl. I have the original Panasonic which is 13 years old!

Please note, it is not just about what size fits, it has to be an AGM AND have the built in sensor, this is really important (just can't remember what the sensor does, but it is to do with the hybrid Battery!)

I would go and get it purchased from the dealer only, free next day delivery, you are then not taking any risks and have peace of mind.

In the end my original Battery was fine and new one not required, even Halfords, who love to sell you stuff could not supply me a Battery.lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Hello,

I was in the process of purchasing a replacement battery for my LS600hl. I have the original Panasonic which is 13 years old!

Please note, it is not just about what size fits, it has to be an AGM AND have the built in sensor, this is really important (just can't remember what the sensor does, but it is to do with the hybrid battery!)

I would go and get it purchased from the dealer only, free next day delivery, you are then not taking any risks and have peace of mind.

In the end my original battery was fine and new one not required, even Halfords, who love to sell you stuff could not supply me a battery.lol

FYI the Battery does not have the temperature sensor built in. It does however have a groove specifically for the sensor.

For the 12V Battery a decent AGM Battery with similar dimensions will do the same job whilst costing you much less than going to the dealership. 

Link for the curious: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/904124-ls600hl-12v-battery-replacement-get-this-one.html

On 3/10/2024 at 10:51 PM, Yingyz said:

FYI the battery does not have the temperature sensor built in. It does however have a groove specifically for the sensor.

For the 12V battery a decent AGM battery with similar dimensions will do the same job whilst costing you much less than going to the dealership. 

Link for the curious: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/904124-ls600hl-12v-battery-replacement-get-this-one.html

Hello,

Thank you for explaining this and it is very useful information as well.

When I need another Battery I know what to look out for and will hopefully save some money too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links