Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Improving the 177hp engine to tune

IRISH_IS220D

I bought this 2010 IS220d a few months back and i love it. Iv got the back windows tinted, changed to front LED and cleaned out the EGR but it needs more power. So im thinking, i want to try get the engine to 250bhp but Lexus detuned the engine because of gaskets as far as i know. But does anyone know.....

1 Did Toyota or another company make stronger gaskets?

2 Is there a way to stop coolant pressure building up and in turn stop gaskets blowing.

I love the car but think its crazy that toyota made a bad engine. There must be an easy way to correct there mistake other than a detune. 

• Like 1

Hi David. That diesel engine isn't worth tuning. Just read this forum as its been talked about to near death. There's probably one or two out there in Internet land that have tuned their is220d so maybe look on YouTube. Otherwise if you want a more powerful diesel then the o ly one I'd go for is the 3.0l beemer.

• Like 1

Vladimir may be right David.

Here there are many Lexus diesels driving nice and easy and without smoking like many other brand diesels do.

Do not think they are tuned. Most are seen being driven by old folks like many Lexus cars are. Actually, have not yet seen a Lexus here with a young driver.

Not even the F-sport cars are sports cars. They just have that name on them. The CT (called Luxury Sport) is not a soft suspension car but not stiff either. Believe the diesels are similar. Get you from one point to another in good shape, comfortable and what more can we want from a car. Driving fast here only mean losing driver's license.

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi David. That diesel engine isn't worth tuning. Just read this forum as its been talked about to near death. There's probably one or two out there in Internet land that have tuned their is220d so maybe look on YouTube. Otherwise if you want a more powerful diesel then the o ly one I'd go for is the 3.0l beemer.

Not much to add.

If you want to get more power from just a tune, then you needs to start from strong, healthy and well designed engine which has some safety margins. IS220d has no margins, if anything it is already beyond them, so the only way to go is downward and that is what Toyota did with IS200d. They realised that engine is unreliable at that power level and dialled it back down to 150hp.

So that is actually good example of "safety margin" - engine can make at most 190hp and explode, it can make maybe 165-170hp and still be reliable and manufacturer chosen to set it to 150hp, for safety. Simply said when they released IS220d they just got it wrong and they tuned it way past the safe/reliable margins and 177hp is just not what this engine can handle. If you want to go past 170hp on this engine then it needs new hardware - gaskets, head-bolts, pistons, rings etc. and you are already at 177hp, so before the engine is completely rebuilt you have no margin to tune. 

I am sure some astronaut will come here and say they have reliable tune on 250hp with cut DPF, EGR and smoke screen on demand, but you been warned. 

11 hours ago, IRISH_IS220D said:

1 Did Toyota or another company make stronger gaskets?

2 Is there a way to stop coolant pressure building up and in turn stop gaskets blowing.

The gasket, or standard coolant pressure, isn't the problem. The engines develop severe carbon build up which causes oil consumption and head gasket failures. Piston, rings, intake and EGR were reworked to improve reliability. 

Thanks for the reply everyone. I know its already over the limit at 177 but i figure ince i keep it serviced and keep the likes of the egr clean it should last. If anyone on here hasnt done the egr you really should. Take the Battery out and its 4 bolts easy peasy. I think i just have to accept its built for comfort not speed...... Or a family for that matter. I think ill go for the bigger Lexus next time. 

Thanks again everyone

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IRISH_IS220D said:

Dking good to know someone has done it safely. Although an engine rebuild to be sure the better gasket is put in may be too much. But its something to consider for sure

Not "safely", but illegally and immorally.

Guy boasts of killing everyone around him by dumping untreated cancer from his tail-pipe and then calls other "haters". Yes - people should hate polluters who deliberately remove parts of the car that are designed to protect everyone's health. To put it simply - he is criminal. What he did is in no way different from changing your engine oil and just dumping old oil into the lake or the river, or throwing old tyres on the side of the road or in the forest. I am sure Ireland has similar laws to UK in this regard (it was mostly EU regulation) and what he did is literally illegal and would attract steep fines.

Within the UK under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. The potential penalties are £1,000.

In addition, under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act. Potential penalties are unlimited fines.

As a reminder, LOC forum rules include:

Don’t break the law. Don't post about things that break the law, or that might encourage others to break the law.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

• Like 2

Within the UK, a yearly MOT inspection just tests for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons in a petrol car to check the engine is burning fuel correctly and a smoke test for diesels. Also for a diesel the existence for a dpf, if fitted as standard, is checked to ensure it hasn't been tampered with or removed but that is just a simple visual check.

An MOT doesn't indicate a vehicle is road legal, only that the elements that are checked are road legal, at the time of testing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dking22 said:

Yes the same process for checks in EU too. DPF existence only visual check. There are two ways to pass missing dpf check. Either open up from nearest joint and drill out/hammer out with rod or cut from original welds and restore after as close to factory as possible. 

EU they can not perform any additional check for dpf other than visual if suspected. Never heard anyone got fined for missing dpf, only threats from media.

Also any car with missing dpf does not get fined if its emissions class is euro4 or lower. IS is euro4 😁 Nothing illegal about it 😅

Most 10+ year old cars here are missing dpf, nobody sane can afford to buy new for double or more of the cost car itself. Some day they will die out and so dies the "problem".

That is just poor excuse, next time try that with brake pads and tyres - "oohhhh I could not afford tyres, so I am just running on cords".

If you could not afford to maintain car to the standard where it is road legal, then you should not own it. Same as you should not drive the car if you can't afford insurance, or MOT, or Road Tax.... or fuel. What you saying basically "I don't have money, so what I suppose to do... I am just going to to petrol station, fill-up the tank and drive-off". 

As well the inspection depends from country to country, some are lax, some are strict, but based on new rules if they suspect DPF is missing they simply refuse the MOT... Don't think MOT testers are that stupid, simply banking on DPF with some small metal object will render very different results.

Sure you can replace DPF with just resonator and nobody will be able to tell, but that is like saying -"I am not murdered I made sure to hide the bodies well".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dking22 said:

EU they can not perform any additional check for dpf other than visual if suspected. Never heard anyone got fined for missing dpf, only threats from media.

Also any car with missing dpf does not get fined if its emissions class is euro4 or lower. IS is euro4 😁 Nothing illegal about it 😅

Within the UK a missing DPF, where one was fitted when the vehicle was built, will result in an MOT failure. It doesn't matter how old the vehicle is.

It is an offence under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) to use a vehicle on the road which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet (above and beyond what the MOT tests). Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use.

As this is UK forum, the forum rules about not breaking the law relates to UK law. As such we don't condone DPF removal.

Topic closed.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links