Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nx450h+ charging & app

Can anyone help me? Is it possible to charge the car using the Lexus App? So far, it won’t let me unlock the charging station. Says I need to link to multimedia but I have done that and it has not made any difference. When I check account it says it is all active but I am not even able to set journey from App, or have I misunderstood that you can. The app is picking up everything else like previous journeys and car status etc. 

Are you trying to charge at a public charger, a fast charger installed at home or from a domestic socket Lynn?

I don't have much experience of public chargers; when I have used them, I have followed the instructions on the charger and not used the app. I do use the app when charging at home, I usually use the app to set the time I want the car charged by (better for the battery). Otherwise, I just plug in, no unlocking required.

• Like 1

So far I have only charged at home using my Hypervolt charger app, which works fine. But thought I’d try the Lexus app so I know how it works when at a public charger but I can’t get it to work and wondered if I’m missing something.

Sensible planning. I picked up my car a few days before going on holiday through Wales, England and Scotland so I pre-armed my self with accounts for Zap-Map, Pod-Point, ChargePlaceScotland and a Lexus Charging Card! Quite a ridiculous situation but that's the state of the EV market right now. However, lack of charging points close to the areas being visited and linked to the accounts I've got, has meant that only the ChargePlaceScotland RFID card has seen any use. 

My first nervous outing to a public charge point was to Lowther Castle in the Lake District. I plugged in with a smile; all this high tech and I had to insert a pound coin for one hour's charge! Worked beautifully though; there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. My next 'public' charge was free at a hotel and just like plugging in at home. My other public charges have all used the ChargePlaceScotland card. The charging point has a scrolling message to scan my card. After doing this, I plug in. The message is still scrolling so I've been scanning my card a second time but it could be that this message is for the benefit of a potential user of the second charge point. I have had 3 successful charges and one unsuccessful. I think the failure was my fault, not sure why or what I did but I'll work it out.

So, yes, whilst the app does have a button to 'Unlock Charging Station', I haven't yet had the need or opportunity to try it out.

The "unlock charger" in the app is only for the Lexus network of chargers. So you need to have an account with Lexus Charging and that will only work on those connected chargers.

For other public chargers, you'll need an account with the provider. 
To show the incoherent nature of charging in the UK I have 6 charging apps on my phone 🙄

Top Tip: PodPoint at Tescos are free and charge at 7kwh

• Like 2

Thank you for explaining. I hadn’t realised that you need various subscriptions to use public chargers. Naively I assumed you just go to a charger and use debit or credit card to charge car. Didn’t know most use an RFID card or their own app.  

1 hour ago, Lynn Adcock said:

Thank you for explaining. I hadn’t realised that you need various subscriptions to use public chargers. Naively I assumed you just go to a charger and use debit or credit card to charge car. Didn’t know most use an RFID card or their own app.  

Watch out for connection fees and the kWh charge as it varies wildly. Home charging generally works out cheaper.

I’ve looked at charging whilst 200 mile away from home on 2 occasions and each time calculated that the cost of charging equated to the same cost as 4.5 litres of fuel.

So charging for 45 miles for the same cost as 49.5 miles on fuel = not worth the hassle. No doubt some ‘on the go’ charging stations are cheaper but not on these 2 occasions.

I can still do 50% of my annual mileage charging at home so not really disappointed, I still made the right decision in buying the car👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tesco are no longer free. I used Tesco for the first time a few weeks ago, and all was fine and FREE. I went back this week to do the shopping and they charged me 28p Kwh. Still cheap but I have got solar at home so not worth it for me. Its a shame because I was out at the bowls club every week, and was planning for the weekly shop and a free charge at the same time!

4 hours ago, Barry7 said:

Tesco are no longer free. I used Tesco for the first time a few weeks ago, and all was fine and FREE. I went back this week to do the shopping and they charged me 28p Kwh. Still cheap but I have got solar at home so not worth it for me. Its a shame because I was out at the bowls club every week, and was planning for the weekly shop and a free charge at the same time!

Yes I guess it had to end at some point. 28p is still fractionally cheaper than the standard variable tariff though so I reckon it will still be popular.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/15/2022 at 10:43 PM, Ken R said:

App for no obvious reason is indicating mileage / consumption / range in kilometres! Anybody else had this and how was it remedied?

Must have been a minor software blip as its now corrected itself!

6 hours ago, Ken R said:

Must have been a minor software blip as its now corrected itself!

Blip or no blip, it would be nice to know what's going on here as the miles/kilometres farce is still a weakness in the system. The app and the portal need to be user configurable, as the car is, otherwise the systems (and me!) get confused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Blip or no blip, it would be nice to know what's going on here as the miles/kilometres farce is still a weakness in the system. The app and the portal need to be user configurable, as the car is, otherwise the systems (and me!) get confused.

Plus find out & correct why the app misses journeys. 

Mine was fine for the 1st 3 months but for the past month missed journeys are common, particularly ones where I am returning to my home address

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links