Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pan sunroof defective seal

A dealer will recommend replacement which isn't always necessary because they have "fitters". The don't have the expertise to repair themselves.

A quick search of google shows many companies which I would contact first to see if they can do a repair rather than replace the whole roof.

Isn't this covered by Lexus 10-year warranty, subject you getting the car serviced with Lexus?

13 minutes ago, WipeOut said:

Isn't this covered by Lexus 10-year warranty, subject you getting the car serviced with Lexus?

Rubber parts aren't covered by the warranty but if they are not separate replaceable parts then I'd argue it is part of the sunroof which is covered by Relax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Rubber parts aren't covered by the warranty but if they are not separate replaceable parts then I'd argue it is part of the sunroof which is covered by Relax.

I've checked the T&C and sunroof is covered under the body section. It does exclude rubber. But as you say, I would argue it's a part of the roof if it's non replaceable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Colin and Nigel I am waiting on my local dealership to query this repair/replacement with Lexus as I do get the car serviced regularly with Lexus. Fingers crossed.

Speaking of warranty would the replacement of both suspension rear trailing arms with all securing bolts be covered as they were worn and creaking

About 18 months ago I noticed that the rubber surround of the opening part of my pan roof had started to detach at the corners. My dealer said that as it is considered to be trim it was not covered by the ( extended ) warranty and it will need the opening part of the sunroof replacing at £750. As I use the sunroof quite a bit I did not see any other option but to have it replaced. But £5000 seems a bit steep which ever way you look at it!

Bri

1 hour ago, Chunkyman2 said:

Speaking of warranty would the replacement of both suspension rear trailing arms with all securing bolts be covered as they were worn and creaking

I believe they should but it's another grey area where some of the generic exclusions could be interpreted as being relevant. I think it will be a case of the dealer submitting a warranty request and seeing if it gets approved. 

I've always had a concern about the panoramic roof much as I like it. Glass to shatter, rubber seals that perish, motors that burn out, switches etc. There is less to go wrong with solid steel roof!

Every year, I open up the roof and give it a good clean. Cleaning the rubbers and drain holes, deflector etc. I also use a rubber car product, that "cleans, conditions and protects weather seals". The product is Gummi Pflege Stift and recommended to me years ago by a BMW dealer to look after the seals on a fold roof BMW Z4. Those sunroof seals are particularly expose to UV and heat.

May not fix a seal that is damaged but may prevent damage in the first place. 😉

Pan Roofs on NX are fixed .

Did not know the RX was a Large Sunroof in essence with seals that you would assume could be replaced relatively easily ?

Tel

On 11/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, Tel said:

Pan Roofs on NX are fixed .

Did not know the RX was a Large Sunroof in essence with seals that you would assume could be replaced relatively easily ?

Tel

Latest NX350 panoramic roofs have an opening section rather like the RX.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, Chunkyman2 said:

Thanks Colin and Nigel I am waiting on my local dealership to query this repair/replacement with Lexus as I do get the car serviced regularly with Lexus. Fingers crossed.

I would assume so, but it might depend on whether they consider them worn enough to need replacing.

As for the roof, I would also imagine it would be covered, as the seals can't be replaced independently, in the same way that control arms are replaced when bushes are worn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chunkyman2 said:

Ref the suspension issue, my car 2017 RX450 F-Sport with 50,000+ miles passed the Government run MOT test 2 weeks ago so I was surprised to hear that both rear suspension arms required replacing.

I've just had my rear suspension greased on the service as they started creaking.

What happened with the sunroof?

Sunroof update. Just heard from Lexus Belfast that the total cost of the pan sunroof will be covered by Lexus (5k+). Thank you Paul. Unfortunately the suspension will not as they deem it to be wear and tear despite the recent MOT success. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chunkyman2 said:

Sunroof update. Just heard from Lexus Belfast that the total cost of the pan sunroof will be covered by Lexus (5k+). Thank you Paul. Unfortunately the suspension will not as they deem it to be wear and tear despite the recent MOT success. 

Well done on getting them to cover the panoramic sunroof, must be a relief for you. You would think the case for the suspension arms to be covered would be stronger than the sunroof!

On 12/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, Chunkyman2 said:

That seems harsh, as I recall recently reading on another thread that someone had their control arms replaced for worn bushes, under the 10 year plus extended warranty. Don't know if Relax warranty is the same.

What are they saying is wrong with them? Are they saying they must be replaced, or is it just an advisory on their health check?

The service report stated “Requires both rear trading arms with all securing bolts bushes worn and creaking”. I had reported the rear right side making a creaking noise when going over a traffic ramp. 

Under the Lexus Relax Suspension section it lists “Front and Rear Springs; Torsion Bars; Track Rods; Stub Axle; Cross Members; Sub frames; Wheel Bearings (limited up to 160,000km); Hubs; Shims; Lock Nuts;”

I reported when the car was two years old a creaking noise over speed ramps which they then thought was the tailgate and greased the latch. The creaking noise remained. The car has just had its four-year service. I asked them to inspect the rear suspension and was told I would have to pay £168 for an inspection on top of my service. I reminded them that checking the suspension was part of the service I was already paying for. After an email to principle of the dealership they agreed to waiving the £168. The rear trailing arm and bushes where lubricated at the service. Suprise, surprise the creaking has stopped. I wonder if this is a weakness of the car. I would expect this to be covered under the Lexus Relax warranty, else how can you relax.

• Like 1

Apologies for typo error

The service report should have read

“Requires both rear trailing arms with all securing bolts bushes worn and creaking”.

Apparently, just for info, in case your knowledge is as limited as mine, they are the pieces of the suspension system that connects the vehicle's axle to its chassis. The bushes are rubber or polyurethane components that act as cushions and reduce friction between the suspension parts.

Parts cost £697.01

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chunkyman2 said:

Apologies for typo error

The service report should have read

“Requires both rear trailing arms with all securing bolts bushes worn and creaking”.

Apparently, just for info, in case your knowledge is as limited as mine, they are the pieces of the suspension system that connects the vehicle's axle to its chassis. The bushes are rubber or polyurethane components that act as cushions and reduce friction between the suspension parts.

Parts cost £697.01

Ouch, you would expect them to last longer than 5 years.

• 9 months later...

My 2019 RX450h F-Sport is booked to be inspected regarding the offside rear trailing arm squeak and I've been advised that I'll need to pay the hourly rate (£150+) for it to be inspected.  If covered under warranty, then they will waive this fee 

If it's not covered under warranty than I'll have to pay it

Has anyone else been able to get this replaced under warranty or any words of advice?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links