Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

45 Seconds to steal my 450 !

Neil Epstein

Epic thread resurrection here from me & I'll be interested in any replies to the following.

As the CANBUS front nearside wheel arch vulnerability is well known, if you disable the keyless go function on the car would this prevent thefts like this?

On Range Rovers if you press the headlight button on the fob three times & then the unlock button it disables keyless go, maybe other sequences on other cars. 

7 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

As the CANBUS front nearside wheel arch vulnerability is well known, if you disable the keyless go function on the car would this prevent thefts like this?

Unfortunately not.

I got paid out very quickly from AVIVA and with the payout i bought two UX250as for the wife and me.

AUGUST 9th......BOTH CARS STOLEN !!!!!    sick to my stomach. Now we both have Hondas. I've been through 6 LEXUS's and 50% stolen !!

• Sad 5

I have mentioned this before but I cannot believe the shrugged shoulders response when I asked, in conversation, our local lexus garage what they thought about this and "had it affected sales yet?".

Lexus are either oblivious or don't care. Let's see if they get interested when and if sales drop. I, for one, would certainly NOT be buying one of these models, Canbus temporary fix or not.

I have not heard any bad reports about Honda vulnerability and they are a very good alternative regards reliability and performance.

6 minutes ago, GMB said:

Lexus are either oblivious or don't care.

Neither, they are just being careful not to admit to anything that may later come back to bite them. Pretty standard company stance, their lawyers will have been very active.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GMB said:

I have mentioned this before but I cannot believe the shrugged shoulders response when I asked, in conversation, our local lexus garage what they thought about this and "had it affected sales yet?".

Lexus are either oblivious or don't care. Let's see if they get interested when and if sales drop. I, for one, would certainly NOT be buying one of these models, Canbus temporary fix or not.

I have not heard any bad reports about Honda vulnerability and they are a very good alternative regards reliability and performance.

Thank you GMB. Lexus are aware and are apparently implementing something called a VPP vehicle protection plate. I've not seen any media about it and so remain utterly dismayed. Such a shame because I always wanted Lexus, not anymore !  I now have better CCTV and two bollards in the driveway. The steering wheel locks we had for the recently stolen UX's did not deter them in any way and these were the top end ones. Good bye lexus. 

4 minutes ago, Neil Epstein said:

Good bye lexus.

Hi Neil

Really sympathetic to your experience. Good luck with the Hondas I am sure you will be very pleased with them. We had a civic VVTI a few years ago and it was a really good car.

I am sure that you will not be the only one saying goodbye Lexus unless things change radically.🤮

1 hour ago, Neil Epstein said:

AUGUST 9th......BOTH CARS STOLEN !!!!!    sick to my stomach. Now we both have Hondas. I've been through 6 LEXUS's and 50% stolen !!

Just curious, Neil.  

I had two new Hondas prior to the Lexus (a Prelude and an Accord, in case you were about to ask!)  As far as I’m aware, no attempt was ever made to steal them.  Are you suggesting that your preference now for Honda is because they are less attractive to thieves or technically harder to steal?  Or possibly both?

What is it about Honda that makes you confident that they are less vulnerable than a Lexus to theft?

2 hours ago, GMB said:

Hi Neil

Really sympathetic to your experience. Good luck with the Hondas I am sure you will be very pleased with them. We had a civic VVTI a few years ago and it was a really good car.

I am sure that you will not be the only one saying goodbye Lexus unless things change radically.🤮

Thank you Chum. 

I ended up with an HRV  and wifey got a Jazz.

We are very happy.

Such a shame , I always aspired to Lexus, now I'm glad to rid of them 😔

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Just curious, Neil.  

I had two new Hondas prior to the Lexus (a Prelude and an Accord, in case you were about to ask!)  As far as I’m aware, no attempt was ever made to steal them.  Are you suggesting that your preference now for Honda is because they are less attractive to thieves or technically harder to steal?  Or possibly both?

What is it about Honda that makes you confident that they are less vulnerable than a Lexus to theft?

Thank you Len. I've had Honda's before, a CRV and an Accord too. I loved that car.

I'm not sure about how easy to Honda's but I know they do not have such a vulnerability as Lexus which I am sure is the reason why Lexus's are so prevalent.

I also now have two bollards in the driveway and better CCTV so,  fingers crossed, should be ok. 🙂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Neil Epstein said:

I also now have two bollards in the driveway and better CCTV so,  fingers crossed, should be ok

Excellent, Neil.  

Upping your security level like this not only protects your car but your House as well.  Hopefully, it means potential thieves go for easier pickings next door!

Do your Insurers recognise this by way of reduced Premiums?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LenT said:

Excellent, Neil.  

Upping your security level like this not only protects your car but your House as well.  Hopefully, it means potential thieves go for easier pickings next door!

Do your Insurers recognise this by way of reduced Premiums?

Thanks Len,

That's a great point about the increased home security and also the insurance

I need to mention this to my insurers to try and get my diabolically increased premiums down. I am sure we have ALL seen a ridiculous increase. I'm paying way more for my Honda HRV than I did for Lexus 450

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Epstein said:

Thanks Len,

That's a great point about the increased home security and also the insurance

I need to mention this to my insurers to try and get my diabolically increased premiums down. I am sure we have ALL seen a ridiculous increase. I'm paying way more for my Honda HRV than I did for Lexus 450

If the modern day Insurance Industry is lacking it is that the Algorithm driven systems that determine premiums just fail to accommodate at the individual level. Here's a chap who has made an investment in risk reduction , but where is the offset via the premiums channel that balances the rewards of that investment to both parties involved in the Insurance contract. I hope you get some recognition from your Insurance company for your efforts otherwise this is a one way street when it comes to who benefits and that would simply not be fair and equitable.

• Like 2

Unfortunately this sort of thing doesn't alter premiums as it only improves risk when the vehicle is at home, which obviously isn't always the case, and what if you forget to set the bollard. Typically the only thing that makes a difference is an approved tracker, although the reduction in premiums typically doesn't cover the annual subscription cost.

These sort of measures are certainly worthwhile though in protecting your own property without the stress of claiming on your insurance and losing your excess.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

If the modern day Insurance Industry is lacking it is that the Algorithm driven systems that determine premiums just fail to accommodate at the individual level. Here's a chap who has made an investment in risk reduction , but where is the offset via the premiums channel that balances the rewards of that investment to both parties involved in the Insurance contract. I hope you get some recognition from your Insurance company for your efforts otherwise this is a one way street when it comes to who benefits and that would simply not be fair and equitable.

Thank you Stephen for your kind reply. I know my cars are not garaged but it is a "protected" area now. I will give them a call. it's worth a punt !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Unfortunately this sort of thing doesn't alter premiums as it only improves risk when the vehicle is at home, which obviously isn't always the case, and what if you forget to set the bollard. Typically the only thing that makes a difference is an approved tracker, although the reduction in premiums typically doesn't cover the annual subscription cost.

These sort of measures are certainly worthwhile though in protecting your own property without the stress of claiming on your insurance and losing your excess.

Thank you Colin for your kind response. Well, I guess I could hide a pack of Tracker bars in the boot !!

ScreensTRACKERhot_1.jpg

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Typically the only thing that makes a difference is an approved tracker

I had a fully insured tracker system installed. I checked the insurance quotes with and without. The difference in price was £45. I did not bother renewing my tracker subs at £175.

Spent the saving on something sensible £130 worth of beer.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links