Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

45 Seconds to steal my 450 !

Neil Epstein

Just 45 seconds to activate my car and then drive it away.   Disgusting ! They don’t even need to clone keys nowadays. 
How can Lexus make their cars ( and Toyotas) so easy to steal ? By providing access just above the front passenger wheel ! Thank you Lexus. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

Thank you chum.

I emailed Lexus and this was there response :

Good afternoon Neil, 

Thank you for your email to Lexus UK.

I am extremely sorry to hear that your vehicle may have been targeted by organised criminal activity.  I can acknowledge how deeply disturbing and upset you may be because of this crime, however I am not able to comment on how these criminals stole your vehicle within 45 seconds.

I understand this situation is hugely frustrating. We encourage you to speak with your insurer, as their policy with you is in place for these unforeseen circumstances.

I can confirm that Lexus has always worked closely with the police and other authorities to ensure information is carefully shared to help the authorities prevent similar crimes. I must advise that this crime is targeted against many brands, particularly premium brands, due to the fact this is a desirable product. It does appear to be most prevalent within the confines of the M25.

Car crimes appear to vary in nature; we are aware of a criminal approach referred to as ‘cannibalisation’ where certain makes and models are targeted for specific parts which go to the black market.  Otherwise, cars themselves are targeted by thieves stealing or cloning keys or accessing vehicles by using technology to bypass in car security systems including immobilisers.  Recent instances and video footage shared with us has seen thieves with advanced technology being able to break in and start the cars.

We are doing all we can to look into the design of our vehicles and update the security features of the vehicle, however at this time the only advice we can offer to keep your vehicle secure moving forwards is to purchase a steering lock, invest in a Faraday pouch/box, keeping the car keys away from the front door, We do welcome the chance to take details of your upsetting experience for us to share with the appropriate authorities, but unfortunately, it is with regret that we don't yet have a practical solution to stop these criminals from targeting vehicles. 

Thank you for contacting Lexus UK and for sharing with us this most disappointing news.  If we can help in any other way, then do reach out to us.

• Sad 1

How they did? It seems they made a copy of key code. A team of  3 burglars, as I can see...

Probably a signal "sniffer" has been put  near front left wheel and removed before stealing ?

1 hour ago, Neil Epstein said:

How can Lexus make their cars ( and Toyotas) so easy to steal ? By providing access just above the front passenger wheel ! 

Considering that your video so clearly confirms that this is the weak point in the car’s security, it’s hard to believe that Toyota can’t devise some method of screening it.

It’s no consolation but steering wheel locks - especially the type that cover the wheel - are a good deterrent.  There are also various forms of immobiliser and trackers that will make life even more difficult for these thieves.

And of course with an open driveway like yours, security posts  might have put them off completely.  But these are all extras that apparently the customer is supposed to add to an already expensive product.

All forms of security have their negatives and all are a balance between risk and reward.  And considering the initial cost of your Lexus, buyers are surely entitled to expect more effective  built-in security than your experience demonstrates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neil Epstein said:

Thank you chum.

I emailed Lexus and this was there response :

Good afternoon Neil, 

Thank you for your email to Lexus UK.

I am extremely sorry to hear that your vehicle may have been targeted by organised criminal activity.  I can acknowledge how deeply disturbing and upset you may be because of this crime, however I am not able to comment on how these criminals stole your vehicle within 45 seconds.

I understand this situation is hugely frustrating. We encourage you to speak with your insurer, as their policy with you is in place for these unforeseen circumstances.

I can confirm that Lexus has always worked closely with the police and other authorities to ensure information is carefully shared to help the authorities prevent similar crimes. I must advise that this crime is targeted against many brands, particularly premium brands, due to the fact this is a desirable product. It does appear to be most prevalent within the confines of the M25.

Car crimes appear to vary in nature; we are aware of a criminal approach referred to as ‘cannibalisation’ where certain makes and models are targeted for specific parts which go to the black market.  Otherwise, cars themselves are targeted by thieves stealing or cloning keys or accessing vehicles by using technology to bypass in car security systems including immobilisers.  Recent instances and video footage shared with us has seen thieves with advanced technology being able to break in and start the cars.

We are doing all we can to look into the design of our vehicles and update the security features of the vehicle, however at this time the only advice we can offer to keep your vehicle secure moving forwards is to purchase a steering lock, invest in a faraday pouch/box, keeping the car keys away from the front door, We do welcome the chance to take details of your upsetting experience for us to share with the appropriate authorities, but unfortunately, it is with regret that we don't yet have a practical solution to stop these criminals from targeting vehicles. 

Thank you for contacting Lexus UK and for sharing with us this most disappointing news.  If we can help in any other way, then do reach out to us.

That certainly shwo that Lexus wants to help you. Or did I miss something?

image.thumb.png.6d47337cb9aa53542f020414b13be264.png

• Like 1

That's a proper 'h'ummer and a sad situation Neil. How Lexus replied to you is a shamble and its as if they just fobbed you off. That was a clear and unadulterated canbus theft. It's unfortunately happening quite a bit of late. So much for technology eh. Your insurance must surely pay up to you as your video evidence is flawless. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisermark said:

This is absolutley shocking and a massive flaw.

Hope you get a swift resolution to this

Thank you Cruisermark. Fortunately I had the GAP insurance so I will receive the full invoice value.   It’s just crazy out there. It seems LEXUS are flavour of the month at the moment with at least three others I know of in the local area over three nights. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zotto said:

How they did? It seems they made a copy of key code. A team of  3 burglars, as I can see...

Probably a signal "sniffer" has been put  near front left wheel and removed before stealing ?

Thank you Zotto. 

My keys were kept safe at the back of the house. They don’t need to clone them nowadays. The police confirmed that to me. 

2 hours ago, LenT said:

Considering that your video so clearly confirms that this is the weak point in the car’s security, it’s hard to believe that Toyota can’t devise some method of screening it.

It’s no consolation but steering wheel locks - especially the type that cover the wheel - are a good deterrent.  There are also various forms of immobiliser and trackers that will make life even more difficult for these thieves.

And of course with an open driveway like yours, security posts  might have put them off completely.  But these are all extras that apparently the customer is supposed to add to an already expensive product.

All forms of security have their negatives and all are a balance between risk and reward.  And considering the initial cost of your Lexus, buyers are surely entitled to expect more effective  built-in security than your experience demonstrates.

2 hours ago, LenT said:

Thank you Len. 

yep, I had considered posts and a steering locks but I do get ambiguous reports about steering locks in particular, however, I am sure they would add some time and be an additional deterrent as you said. 

The police said that immobilisers and trackers don’t deter nowadays as they are so brazen that they don’t even park the car up to see if it gets collected.  This won’t dismiss me from considering it though. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's a proper 'h'ummer and a sad situation Neil. How Lexus replied to you is a shamble and its as if they just fobbed you off. That was a clear and unadulterated canbus theft. It's unfortunately happening quite a bit of late. So much for technology eh. Your insurance must surely pay up to you as your video evidence is flawless. 

Thank you chum. 

Definitely a standard response. 

yep, good evidence for me and also how pathetically easy our cars are to steal.  Luckily I had the GAP insurance so I will get the full invoice value back. 

• Like 2

This is appalling and my wife’s RX450 was stolen the same way in the morning around 8 am in broad daylight in West London. 

I found the following links and absolutely would be interested in joining forces in pushing lexus to fix this software naivete of unencrypted CAN invader attacks.

Here are links of all articles I found on internet 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RX450CAN said:

This is appalling and my wife’s RX450 was stolen the same way in the morning around 8 am in broad daylight in West London. 

I found the following links and absolutely would be interested in joining forces in pushing lexus to fix this software naivete of unencrypted CAN invader attacks.

Here are links of all articles I found on internet 

Very very sorry to hear this. Since I made the original post here just a few days ago , I know of five more lexus/Toyota cars stolen just in my local area…and they are those just posted on Social media. 

thank you so much for your comments and the links. Would also be happy to join forces. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't live in the South but my renewal quote has gone up massively from 250 to 325, no material changes from last year other than one year older in age, car and person 😎, might it be the cost of vehicle thefts are filtering through to premiums? 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

I don't live in the South but my renewal quote has gone up massively from 250 to 325, no material changes from last year other than one year older in age, car and person 😎, might it be the cost of vehicle thefts are filtering through to premiums? 

There are SO many variables in one's insurance costs - but there are two major variables that can 'hit' you without apparent reason:

The insurer's decision to attract/detract from customers of your profile

And/Or the increased/decreased incidence of car damage/theft/incident claims in your area

OR

Something else.

Just keep looking around for quotes squire!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/9/2023 at 1:51 PM, JN74 said:

Here is a video of my car being stolen in a similar fashion. Shocking to see how easy it is for them. It seems they are able to extract and cut the wires and possibly using wireless attachment to turn on the car.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:51 PM, JN74 said:

35 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Your car was parked on a busy road AND a cyclist went past! They are so brazen.

Had the car been parked contrary to the Highway Code,(as was the vehicle adjacent to it ) the access wheel would have been on the "offside" thus putting the scum in an extremely dangerous position in relation to passing traffic.

Worth thinking about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Had the car been parked contrary to the Highway Code,(as was the vehicle adjacent to it ) the access wheel would have been on the "offside" thus putting the scum in an extremely dangerous position in relation to passing traffic.

Worth thinking about.

You are right but this is a two way road so not possible to park in opposite direction. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Your car was parked on a busy road AND a cyclist went past! They are so brazen.

True. As long as the security forces take a soft approach to car theft this will remain a nightmare for most car owners. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links