Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h - Multiple of issues over a few days.

Hi all, I'm seeking some guidance and help with some issues I've had with my GS450h over the last few days before I lose my mind.

Tuesday this week, I had the rear windows tinted darker. No issues with this, except when I've gone back out in the evening, the rear window was fogging up. I assumed this was the moisture from the window tinting, to get the film in place.

Wednesday, after driving for about 5 minutes, "Check Hybrid System" comes on. There doesn't seem to be any change in the way the car is driving, but I pull over for a few minutes, let it reset, and start again. It comes back on, but I'm late for a job so I carry on. Only notable thing is that the info display isn't showing anything, although Battery seems to be going up and down still. I get to my job, car sits outside for a few hours, then I get back in it and start it. Still check hybrid, but the info display is working. In an attempt to get rid of any moisture in the car, I whack up the heaters for my drive home. 

Wednesday evening, I go down and unplug the Battery in an attempt to reset any codes and see what happens. this does nothing, and in fact lights up a check engine light, so I give up for the day.

Today, I get picked up for work, so the car has sat there not doing anything for 14+ hours. When I get back from work, I try my luck, turn it on. Everything is fine, no warnings on the dash, info screen working fine. I take it up the road and it sounds like the exhaust is blowing, it's pretty loud. I managed to borrow a cheap OBD2 reader off a mate, using Torque Pro, it gives the fault code P3191. I've searched that on this forum, but it's sending me down even more of a rabbit hole.

Has ANYONE every had this happen? Any similarities? Should I consider moving the car on? My biggest concern is I'm driving to Bruges end of December, the last thing I want is a unreliable car. 

40 minutes ago, Herbie said:

This past topic may help:

Thanks Herbie, that's one of the threads I came across but I honestly got a bit lost reading it. 

I've got someone coming round to diagnose it tomorrow, so I wanted to have a general idea of where to point them. Seems the state of the 12v Battery is a good start. 

2 hours ago, KyleP said:

Thanks Herbie, that's one of the threads I came across but I honestly got a bit lost reading it. 

Fair enough Kyle, but the upshot of it was this:

For those that are interested the issue was quite straightforward: A blown fuel pump relay, cost £25,00. (Well done ChrisKaye).

There's no guarantee that you have the same problem but I'd be looking at that and associated areas to begin with.

On 11/24/2022 at 6:12 PM, KyleP said:

Hi all, I'm seeking some guidance and help with some issues I've had with my GS450h over the last few days before I lose my mind.

Tuesday this week, I had the rear windows tinted darker. No issues with this, except when I've gone back out in the evening, the rear window was fogging up. I assumed this was the moisture from the window tinting, to get the film in place.

Wednesday, after driving for about 5 minutes, "Check Hybrid System" comes on. There doesn't seem to be any change in the way the car is driving, but I pull over for a few minutes, let it reset, and start again. It comes back on, but I'm late for a job so I carry on. Only notable thing is that the info display isn't showing anything, although battery seems to be going up and down still. I get to my job, car sits outside for a few hours, then I get back in it and start it. Still check hybrid, but the info display is working. In an attempt to get rid of any moisture in the car, I whack up the heaters for my drive home. 

Wednesday evening, I go down and unplug the battery in an attempt to reset any codes and see what happens. this does nothing, and in fact lights up a check engine light, so I give up for the day.

Today, I get picked up for work, so the car has sat there not doing anything for 14+ hours. When I get back from work, I try my luck, turn it on. Everything is fine, no warnings on the dash, info screen working fine. I take it up the road and it sounds like the exhaust is blowing, it's pretty loud. I managed to borrow a cheap OBD2 reader off a mate, using Torque Pro, it gives the fault code P3191. I've searched that on this forum, but it's sending me down even more of a rabbit hole.

Has ANYONE every had this happen? Any similarities? Should I consider moving the car on? My biggest concern is I'm driving to Bruges end of December, the last thing I want is a unreliable car. 

I had a similar 'check hybrid system' on an Rx450h. New 12v Battery problem solved, no issues 2 years later

I would charge the 12v Battery and see if the issues go away. My guess is that the 12v Battery is old and when you did the tinting it was drained by the lights inside the car that turn on when a door is open.  

I had issues with my car which didn't want to start at all after it sat with open door for 10 mins. I eventually had to replace the Battery. With this said, my issue was very straightforward to diagnose and yours is not. So maybe recharge the Battery first and see if it helps before spending £££ on new Battery.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links