Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VSC Check ON after oil change

Lex_utor

Hi Lex. So your car drives fine as it should. Have you experimented and deliberately tried to skid your car? Does the ABS come on when you brake hard. Have you tried going round a roundabout quicker than normal to induce a slide? 

I've had to do similar and ABS kicked in as did stability control. Cleared the codes with techstream and no more lights on dash.

• Thanks 1

Hi Vlad. I have not tried that. The braking is easy to do and I can definitely try. The slide on the roundabout I'm not sure I'm that daring. 🙂 

But I have had rear wheel spin on hard take offs. So TC really seems off.  

On 12/9/2022 at 9:30 AM, Lex_utor said:

They couldn't figure out what it was. I had to leave. 

The slippery car ico is also ON and it seems I get wheel spin. So TC seems to be off.

Is it bad to drive it? I had planned on driving down for the weekend.  If just TC OFF I can live with. And have it looked at next week.

Had exactly the same on my SC430 after the MOT. I suspect it was because the steering was turned lock to lock and something must have been stretched. Several attempts to turn ignition off and reset stuff did nothing, But a little trick of shorting out 2 pins with a big paper clip on the OBD port fixed it for ever. It's important to get the right pins for your car and sometimes year. You need to research it on YouTube. Good luck! If you desperately can't find any reference, I will attempt to score my 'where to fek is it' filing system and see what I can turn out.

Ged

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gedwood said:

Had exactly the same on my SC430 after the MOT. I suspect it was because the steering was turned lock to lock and something must have been stretched. Several attempts to turn ignition off and reset stuff did nothing, But a little trick of shorting out 2 pins with a big paper clip on the OBD port fixed it for ever. It's important to get the right pins for your car and sometimes year. You need to research it on YouTube. Good luck! If you desperately can't find any reference, I will attempt to score my 'where to fek is it' filing system and see what I can turn out.

Ged

Thanks. I heard something about the hack with the wire, to reset the VSC or something, concerning theC1210 and C1336 codes. I will have to search. But can any damage be done to the car, if I get this shorting wrong?

Well, I read feedback from one guy on YouTube who said it had messed up everything, (I'm not convinced), but to be honest, from what he explained, he had read the diagram upside down, so I was wary when I did it and made certain that I had the trapezium shaped socket the right way up, and looked up a couple of different opinions from organised sounding posters, rather than somebody who gave a slapdash impression, if that makes sense. Go for one whose feedbacks gave lots of ' yes, perfect! Worked for me!'

• Thanks 1

Oh, and my traction control was most definitely off, even though I though it may just be a light. I emerged a junction turning left, to nip in front of a bus on a dual carriageway, and omg! tyre squeal was not the word, leaving a black stripe down the road about 50 metres. (Mr Red face).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 12:06 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Lex. So your car drives fine as it should. Have you experimented and deliberately tried to skid your car? Does the ABS come on when you brake hard. Have you tried going round a roundabout quicker than normal to induce a slide? 

I've had to do similar and ABS kicked in as did stability control. Cleared the codes with techstream and no more lights on dash.

I tried doing some of this. I didn't slide on a roundabout. But I spun my rear wheels on take off. I did a feel hard brakes till full stop. I went into techstream, but I wasn't sure how to clear the codes. I will have to check online. But does the code clearing have to be right after the maneuvers? 

Hi Lex. Let me understand you right. You now have a copy of techstream?

You mentioned an electrical smell. Possibly an alternator at fault. Recommend you get it tested.

A suggestion for you. The multiplug on the ABS unit. Disconnect it. See if it's clean where the pins are and that the plug is clean. I personally found water in mine and I've since had a replacement ABS unit. Read my post ABS Pump and its ECU.

To clear codes with techstream. First do a Health Check. One of the buttons on the left of the screen. This will take a while and it will show All fault codes if there are any. Once completed you should see on the bottom left of the screen what looks like a motorbike engine. Click on that. A prompt will come up. Follow the prompt and then the codes will be cleared. 

• Thanks 1

Just want to correct something. Once you've done the health check scan and you want to clear the codes. The logo that looks like a motorbike engine is on the bottom right not left as I stated above.

It's on the left once an individual scan has been done. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Lex. Let me understand you right. You now have a copy of techstream?

You mentioned an electrical smell. Possibly an alternator at fault. Recommend you get it tested.

A suggestion for you. The multiplug on the ABS unit. Disconnect it. See if it's clean where the pins are and that the plug is clean. I personally found water in mine and I've since had a replacement ABS unit. Read my post ABS Pump and its ECU.

To clear codes with techstream. First do a Health Check. One of the buttons on the left of the screen. This will take a while and it will show All fault codes if there are any. Once completed you should see on the bottom left of the screen what looks like a motorbike engine. Click on that. A prompt will come up. Follow the prompt and then the codes will be cleared. 

Thanks Vlad. I had actually run a helth check a couple of weeks ago and saved a screen shot:

Health_check_09.04.23.jpg

On 12/12/2022 at 12:55 PM, Lex_utor said:

Definitely not that long. So I will try again. Battery and alternator seem ok.

Strange that Since you disconnected the Battery These issues seem to have Appeared..Could it have something to do with the factory default settings i.e Computer dynamics And needs resetting at the Dealership i.e Techstream.. Just a Thought.!!!

• Thanks 1

Could this problem be something as simple as resetting the steering sensors. I don’t know about Lexus but I know that on a Mazda (MX5 at least) if you run the Battery flat or disconnect it, after reconnecting or recharging you see a the VSC light flashing. The steering sensors need to to re-learn their positions, by turning the steering lock to lock a couple of times, turning ignition off and then on again this resets the system and turns the warning off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so you have calibration errors yaw sensor. You sure that happened after oil change? I can't see any relevance here - whatever they did to the car could no knock calibration out, disconnecting Battery will do nothing, you need to calibrate yaw sensor. Usually something like replacement or disconnection of the sensor or ABS pump would cause it. 

The calibration of yaw sensor is simple, park car on even ground, go to TechStream utilities for ABS/VSC/EPS and there will be calibration option - I think it is called "reset memory". It goes something along the lines "turn IG ON, make the steering straight, press calibrate, wait 5s, turn off the ignition, wait 5 seconds, start the car". It could be done with jumper between TS (4) and CG (12) terminals, but that has a risk of damaging you OBD2 port (just connectors get's lose over time)... so I would not advise it. Same procedure as per TechStream, just instead of following on screen instruction you need to jump terminal 4 times in 8 seconds, VSC Test Mode and ABS light starts blinking, wait 5s switch off. Better do it with TechStream...

Do you have repair manual... it has all instructions. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 7:04 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Sorry Lex. That's a poor quality screen shot. I can't make any of it out.

Can you click on the image to enlarge it? I can click on it and it opens in a larger size and is possible to read it. But I don't know if it's working for others.

On 4/22/2023 at 7:47 PM, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Strange that Since you disconnected the battery These issues seem to have Appeared..Could it have something to do with the factory default settings i.e Computer dynamics And needs resetting at the Dealership i.e Techstream.. Just a Thought.!!!

No idea. But I have techstream. 🙂 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:51 PM, LexusDave said:

Could this problem be something as simple as resetting the steering sensors. I don’t know about Lexus but I know that on a Mazda (MX5 at least) if you run the battery flat or disconnect it, after reconnecting or recharging you see a the VSC light flashing. The steering sensors need to to re-learn their positions, by turning the steering lock to lock a couple of times, turning ignition off and then on again this resets the system and turns the warning off.

I also came across this resetting steering sensors. is this the hack with the wires in the OBD port in the engine bay?

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Ok so you have calibration errors yaw sensor. You sure that happened after oil change? I can't see any relevance here - whatever they did to the car could no knock calibration out, disconnecting battery will do nothing, you need to calibrate yaw sensor. Usually something like replacement or disconnection of the sensor or ABS pump would cause it. 

The calibration of yaw sensor is simple, park car on even ground, go to TechStream utilities for ABS/VSC/EPS and there will be calibration option - I think it is called "reset memory". It goes something along the lines "turn IG ON, make the steering straight, press calibrate, wait 5s, turn off the ignition, wait 5 seconds, start the car". It could be done with jumper between TS (4) and CG (12) terminals, but that has a risk of damaging you OBD2 port (just connectors get's lose over time)... so I would not advise it. Same procedure as per TechStream, just instead of following on screen instruction you need to jump terminal 4 times in 8 seconds, VSC Test Mode and ABS light starts blinking, wait 5s switch off. Better do it with TechStream...

Do you have repair manual... it has all instructions. 

Tecstream found C1210 and C1336 codes. Zero point calibration yaw and acceleration. Yes, the VSC light popped up right after I got into the car after the oil change. It wasn't there when the car went in for the change. But as soon as I turned the ignition when they were finished, it was there. Could be a coincidence. But it happened this way. 

I don't have the repair manual. All I could find about fixing C1210 and C1336 codes was the wire hack to connect the 2 connectors in the OBD port in the engine bay. But I didn't get around to do it yet. if there is a better or safer way I would rather try that first then. 🙂  The procedure you describe does the same as the hack then?

25 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

Tecstream found C1210 and C1336 codes. Zero point calibration yaw and acceleration. Yes, the VSC light popped up right after I got into the car after the oil change. It wasn't there when the car went in for the change. But as soon as I turned the ignition when they were finished, it was there. Could be a coincidence. But it happened this way. 

I don't have the repair manual. All I could find about fixing C1210 and C1336 codes was the wire hack to connect the 2 connectors in the OBD port in the engine bay. But I didn't get around to do it yet. if there is a better or safer way I would rather try that first then. 🙂  The procedure you describe does the same as the hack then?

the OBD port is under the dash, but in principle it triggers same function - clears yaw sensor memory and calibrates it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

the OBD port is under the dash, but in principle it triggers same function - clears yaw sensor memory and calibrates it.

I see. But doing it via Techstream as you mentioned above is probably safer?

Maybe the OBD in the engine bay was in another car then. Maybe IS200. Saw it in a video on YT.

Hi Lex. I clicked on that screen shot image and enlarged it but it became illegible but just tried again and clear as day. Not the best page to screen shot.

With you having the C1336. Just what warning lights are showing on your dash?

C1336 is quite a broad reading. Includes accelerator sensor, ABS issue, steering yaw fault etc.

You've done the health check scan using techstream but did you click on the engine looking symbol bottom right of the screen? That symbol clears codes. You may have to do it twice because that C1210 code is a swine to clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Lex. I clicked on that screen shot image and enlarged it but it became illegible but just tried again and clear as day. Not the best page to screen shot.

With you having the C1336. Just what warning lights are showing on your dash?

C1336 is quite a broad reading. Includes accelerator sensor, ABS issue, steering yaw fault etc.

You've done the health check scan using techstream but did you click on the engine looking symbol bottom right of the screen? That symbol clears codes. You may have to do it twice because that C1210 code is a swine to clear.

No, I didn't click on the engine looking symbol bottom right of the screen. I didn't know how to clear codes till I read this. 🙂 Thanks.

Here is how my dash lights look like: 

VSC_light_ON.png

But the car is really absolutely fine! Last Saturday I did another trip with it. About 200 miles and it didn't miss a bit. Eating Mercs and Bimmers left and right on the motorway. 🙂 

Are those the only lights on the dash? No lights to the left?

The symbol on techstream to clear codes looks like an old British single cylinder bike engine. Go through Health Check, yes it takes ages, and find that symbol. Like I said that 1210 code could take two attempts to clear.

Yes when I had my last series of lights on the dash which was a faulty ABS unit my car drove as normal as normal is. Its just seeing those lights that puts you off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links