Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VSC Check ON after oil change

Lex_utor

They couldn't figure out what it was. I had to leave. 

The slippery car ico is also ON and it seems I get wheel spin. So TC seems to be off.

Is it bad to drive it? I had planned on driving down for the weekend.  If just TC OFF I can live with. And have it looked at next week.

Normally if it’s a yellow/orange light it’s a warning of a system fault, can still be driven with care, get it sorted but red is get it sorted immediately.

The only time I have had it on mine was when the Battery went flat but it went out after a short drive.

• Thanks 2

Thanks. What in an oil change coud have caused this?

But it's a red exclamation point. I just took a photo:

image.thumb.png.19cc04247b2ce9826428f4aa16211e87.png

I drove a bit already and turned the car off and on several times by now. It is still there. The problem is I have a 2 hour trip planned for today which I basically can't cancel. 😞 

The car seems to be driving normal though. I pushed it mildly etc to test. Seems fine. They hooked the computer to the OBD port and found no errors related. They found 2 errors. Some point position thing and Battery temperature errors. 

I already left the place and I have no OBD here with me. But they found no other codes besides the 2 I mentioned above. He lso tried clearing codes but it was still there after. This totally sucks. In 2 hours I should take off for a 2 hours and a half trip. Googlng, some are saying if it drives ok is ok to drive. Others are saying not to drive. It's a red warming. If it was something bad, shouldn't it show in an error code?

I also found on google that a bad crankshat or camshaft position sensor can cause that. Now I'm not sure which position sensor he found an error code for. Are there other position sensors apart from these 2? And if it is indeed this, is it bad driving just because of the faulty position sensor? There is no engine light ON.

I did another test now, this time on the motorway. Didn't miss a beat. Had it up to 85mph. 

Now at times like these your senses become over sensitive. But I noticed something I hadn't heard before. It seems the engine is making a supercharger type of whine as the revs go up. Maybe it was always there. Maybe it's not actually there and I'm hearing things.

Now one thing I also noticed and for the first time is the revs were going up and down at idle. It did a couple of times. After the engine was warm, not any more. This worries me as they start doing this when the infamous valve problem thing starts right? Could it be related to the VSC? Is it to worry? I will see if it does it again next time.

Indeed I did. I also tried disconnecting the Battery. Nothing worked. 

For the record I drove 2 hours and a half with it, motorway speeds. Car is completely normal and drove great! Like nothing is different or wrong. It was heavy rain too basically the whole way. No unexpected reactions from the TC. VSC Check is still ON.

Hopefully it will be the same on the way back and I will have no trouble. 

On 12/10/2022 at 10:51 PM, Lex_utor said:

I did some digging and checked some simple things which supposedly can cause this. Like petrol cap, brake fluid, disconnect battery, brake lights.

Without the OBD scan we’re guessing. You need to plug it in. It could be an oxygen sensor and it most likely is if you say your car is now misfiring? I never had an issue with a cold start in winter and idling. It’s not due to age of the car

• Thanks 1

You say you disconnected your Battery. How long for? 30-45 minutes is the norm. Are there more lights on? Is your Battery in good health? Is your alternator working properly? I had a similar issue and it was the alternator. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, H3XME said:

Without the OBD scan we’re guessing. You need to plug it in. It could be an oxygen sensor and it most likely is if you say your car is now misfiring? I never had an issue with a cold start in winter and idling. It’s not due to age of the car

Ok. Makes sense. Yes misfiring. I already ordered the OBD. Let's see what I find when it arrives. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

You say you disconnected your battery. How long for? 30-45 minutes is the norm. Are there more lights on? Is your battery in good health? Is your alternator working properly? I had a similar issue and it was the alternator. 

Definitely not that long. So I will try again. Battery and alternator seem ok.

1 minute ago, Lex_utor said:

Ok. Makes sense. Yes misfiring. I already ordered the OBD. Let's see what I find when it arrives. 

If you have Android, download the torque app, if you're on iOS, I find "Car Scanner" (Blue icon) to be good. You can clear the codes, but if it's something like that it'll come back on. I had the same on my car when my Lambda sensor died, same lights on the dash, but luckily it wasn't misfiring or idling funny. Depends on which sensor it is, otherwise you can have symptoms like those.. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 1:57 PM, H3XME said:

If you have Android, download the torque app, if you're on iOS, I find "Car Scanner" (Blue icon) to be good. You can clear the codes, but if it's something like that it'll come back on. I had the same on my car when my Lambda sensor died, same lights on the dash, but luckily it wasn't misfiring or idling funny. Depends on which sensor it is, otherwise you can have symptoms like those.. 

Thanks!

My OBDII adapter arrived just before new years. I bought Torque Pro and just tried. It finds no error codes in the ECU. I heard Torque is only good for engine faults though. So if this is an ABS sensor it would probably not pick up? Although it's trustable enough to rule out the oxygen sensor?

This really sucks as this is the type of problem a garage would just charge a ton to solve regardless of how much work it actually is, just because they can. 😞 

P.S. The other day I noticed a burned smell of the electric kind after I drove it. I noticed as I walked past the front and it seemed to be coming from the grill. As I was late, I couldn't open the bonnet to check. I'm trying to avoi driving the car. But apart from this smell and the fact TC is off, it drives normally as before. 

37 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

P.S. The other day I noticed a burned smell of the electric kind after I drove it. I noticed as I walked past the front and it seemed to be coming from the grill. As I was late, I couldn't open the bonnet to check. I'm trying to avoi driving the car. But apart from this smell and the fact TC is off, it drives normally as before. 

I Would get Your Lexus to Your Local Dealership This Needs checked Out Soon As...!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

I Would get Your Lexus to Your Local Dealership This Needs checked Out Soon As...!!!!!

Yeah, I was afraid this would be necessary, which is a huge bummer. I just spent a huge sum on the car last MOT. This will probably turn into a snowball in cost. 

Strangely, despite being a Lexus, my first, this is quickly becoming one of the cars which have given me the most bills/niggles. Love it and all. But it is starting to pile up. 😞 

But are the any guesses at possible fixes worth trying before I open my checkbook to the dealership?

21 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Yeah, I was afraid this would be necessary, which is a huge bummer. I just spent a huge sum on the car last MOT. This will probably turn into a snowball in cost. 

Strangely, despite being a Lexus, my first, this is quickly becoming one of the cars which have given me the most bills/niggles. Love it and all. But it is starting to pile up. 😞 

But are the any guesses at possible fixes worth trying before I open my checkbook to the dealership?

Could be an alternator.. follow the smell. See what's what. It's really unfortunate and none of your problems are common, at least not in the UK, but there's always exceptions unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Could be an alternator.. follow the smell. See what's what. It's really unfortunate and none of your problems are common, at least not in the UK, but there's always exceptions unfortunately. 

Interestingly, I was just speaking to a IS250 owner yesterday who mentioned the possibility of the alternator causing the VSC Check light and that maybe the garage dropped oil on it when they changed the oil. But if it was the alternator, I would most likely be having electric problems, bad starts etc? Car starts and drives normally. The only difference is the TC is off, so it's very easy to spin the rear wheels on take off. 

21 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Hi Lex My Strong advice is Forget about other garages or Mechanics It needs looked at by a Lexus electrical Technician If you dont do this it will cost you much more in real terms.. But Its Your Call..!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody.

So I finally have an update on this. So much has happened in the last couple of months, including the passing of somebody in the family. I didn't have time to attend to this. As I barelly needed the car, as I'm in home office, plus my wife has a car, and my Lexus drives basically normally, the very few times I needed the car, I just drove it and it has been fine. Only the VSC CHECK light is ON  and the traction control seems to be off.

But I have now managed to have it looked with Techstream and got C1210  Zero Point Calibration of Yaw Rate Sensor undone & C1336 Zero Point Calibration of Deceleration Sensor undone Errors .

I took a look online and found something about the VSC needing to be recalibrated and not being hard to do oneself?

What do you gentlemen with more experience with these car make of it? As I said, if it wasn't for the check lights ON, I would never know there is anything wrong. Car drives normally and is stronger than ever.

Thanks again for your help. 🙂 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links