Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok When Does The Vvti Kick In?

jasear

Ive heard its suppose to be at 4000 rpm but it doesnt kick in with my car until 5000 or 6000 rpm. I mean really late. Secondly, when i put my foot on the accelerator the engine sounds a bit unusual as if its knocking. Now im not sure about that as the car has a special exhaust on it and it could just be the way the exhaust sounds. But lets say for argument sake the engine is knocking then what might be the problem and why is it knocking?

ive tried optimax which is super unleaded right?

ok i meant when u suddenly get that massive acceleration. Genrally ive heard its meant to be round 4000 rpm but mines a lot later than that its like 7000 or something. What could be the reason for that?

Isn't 7000 where the limiter should step in? (so you should get a sudden loss of power as the ECU tries to protect the engine).

I don't think you even "suddenly get that massive acceleration" with a VVTI - AFAIK all that basically happens is the ECU allows more air into the engine at higher revs so it carries on delivering power right up the rev range (a non-VVTI would sort of run out of puff by then). I thought the only place you'd really see the difference was on a dyno plot, there's no sudden surge of power like on a turbo.

VVT smooths the power delivery through the whole rev range - the second push is as the second set of valves reach their ideal operating range, but it only happens at about 5k - about 4.5k the exhaust note changes and at about 5.5 is where you can really feel the car sharting to shift. peak torque is 6400 rpm and the redline is 7900.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links