Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loose protection inside engine bay?

Hello I have just realised that the thermal protection panel by the side of the engine is a bit loose.

I can move it with my fingers, but the bolts and washers seem pretty tight, so I'm not sure this is supposed to be like this? Would any of you know? This is a picture (part highlighted with the yellow line)

IMG-3922.JPG

Hi, Incredibly for a Company with an exceptional build quality reputation...... This rattly heat shield was designed to have that level of "play" and it is normal😮. I was tempted to fit additional washers to ensure it doesn't rattle when cold...... incedentally the reason from salesman was to give enough room for "thermal expansion"..... My 05 IS300 Sportcross has no such design features!

17 minutes ago, DF-300 Sport said:

Hi, Incredibly for a Company with an exceptional build quality reputation...... This rattly heat shield was designed to have that level of "play" and it is normal😮. I was tempted to fit additional washers to ensure it doesn't rattle when cold...... incedentally the reason from salesman was to give enough room for "thermal expansion"..... My 05 IS300 Sportcross has no such design features!

Thermal expansion would seem a reasonable explanation but if it rattles that is a design fault.

• Like 1

uummmmh interesting.... would be interesting to see if two thermal sillicone washers (where to find them that's another thing!) would both dampen the rattle while keeping temperature-safe (remember there are cooking accessories made out of sillicone that you can use in the oven) 

Also, I's saying rattle but i don't think i have heard anything from the inside while driving. It was while cleaning the engine bay thay I realised.

The rattle will be more audible from outside, especially with the poor quality road surfaces and potholes. The heatshield clearance is still huge when the engine is up to operating temperature🙄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

14 hours ago, Javed said:

I also noticed & mentioned it a service time & they placed 2 penny washers & tighten it?

Good call. I will mention it in a few days when I'm taking the car to a garage (not the dealership) for another small thing.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:13 AM, DF-300 Sport said:

The rattle will be more audible from outside, especially with the poor quality road surfaces and potholes. The heatshield clearance is still huge when the engine is up to operating temperature🙄

Why we have to put up with such poor infrastructure is something that bugs me every time (cross over to France and it isn't like that).

ANYWAY Does anyone else hear a bit of a clicky/plasticky noise when going over some bumps? It is very subdued, not loud but audible and I haven't been able to locate it but it sounds almost like it comes from the seatbelt roll (up & right of the driver), or inbetween the doors, or inside the doors or something. I get very curious when I cna't locate a rattle or a noise.

1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

ANYWAY Does anyone else hear a bit of a clicky/plasticky noise when going over some bumps? It is very subdued, not loud but audible and I haven't been able to locate it but it sounds almost like it comes from the seatbelt roll (up & right of the driver), or inbetween the doors, or inside the doors or something. I get very curious when I cna't locate a rattle or a noise.

Have you tried cleaning all the door rubbers and applying Gummi Pflege (look it up on Google if you haven't heard of it) to them all. It makes a world of difference eliminating many noises that manifest like creaks and rattles. I could have sworn one I had was the top mounting of the seat belt rattling when it was the door rubbers that were causing the noise. I find I need to apply it a few times a year for best effect but a bottle goes a long way. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Have you tried cleaning all the door rubbers and applying Gummi Pflege (look it up on Google if you haven't heard of it) to them all. It makes a world of difference eliminating many noises that manifest like creaks and rattles. I could have sworn one I had was the top mounting of the seat belt rattling when it was the door rubbers that were causing the noise. I find I need to apply it a few times a year for best effect but a bottle goes a long way. 

Really? oh thanks, I hope that's the case. I actually have a spray bottle of that (by the Liqui Moly brand) in the garage because I wanted to nourish the door dubbers and other sealants in the car, just haven't had the time (or the weather, in this cold!) to do it, but will report back! 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much @wharfhouse  .....I didnt have much faith but the door shuts needed cleaning anyway, so I spent some time with them last weekend....I also cleaned the door rubbers and once dry i applied gummi-pflege by liqui-moly (link here in case it helps anyone https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00295D0HY) and lo and behold.....cracking noises are gone!!!! I honeslty can't explain how rubbers can sound like that, when the car is fours years old... (they didn't make any noise in my seven years old honda jazz when i had it for example)

Anyway, great advice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Thanks so much @wharfhouse  .....I didnt have much faith but the door shuts needed cleaning anyway, so I spent some time with them last weekend....I also cleaned the door rubbers and once dry i applied gummi-pflege by liqui-moly (link here in case it helps anyone https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00295D0HY) and lo and behold.....cracking noises are gone!!!! I honeslty can't explain how rubbers can sound like that, when the car is fours years old... (they didn't make any noise in my seven years old honda jazz when i had it for example)

Anyway, great advice.

Yes I was amazed at how many strange noises door rubbers can cause - I found out about this some 25 years ago with a BMW and have used Gummi Pflege on all my cars ever since to good effect. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seems it is by (bad) design supposed to move. I added some thin washers that just by slight friction stop the rattle, but should still allow enough flex for expansion. The heat shield is so thin and flexible anyway, I think they just over-engineered it.

20230312_121744.jpg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links