Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealersh Experience Part 1

Dealership Experience Part 1

(This story will be a trilogy!)

Having followed the thread,  “Why Lexus is yet to break into the UK mainstream” I thought I would share my recent experience of a Lexus Dealership. I have had good and bad experiences during my long motoring odyssey. Below is the start of a story………..

We intended to change our RX400h next year, when hopefully the second-hand prices have stabilized. Looking at Auto Trader and the pre-owned Lexus website, I came across an interesting vehicle. It was the 450h L - which is the 7-seat version of the RX450h. It is longer than a standard 450h. Whenever I showed my wife the 4th generation RX, she really got twitchy over the size, even though she has driven a 17 seat minibuses in the past.

What attracted me was the colour - Mesa Red with cream leather interior and brown trim. The bonus was yet to come! Showing my wife photos gained her interest for a short 30 seconds.

“That model of RX450h is too big!” she replied.

“Well, what do you think we should replace the car with next year?” was my reply.

“The NX looks a better size to me!” she countered.

I knew I was on to a winner with the colour combination, as my wife really liked it. Then fate intervened!

“We have not been out since before Christmas, I have cabin fever,” she announced.

My next ploy was a master stroke!

“Would you like a run out to Canterbury darling?”  I said nonchalantly. I NEVER call her dear!

“Yes that would nice, though I am not bothered about shopping.”

YES! YES! YES!  Then the coup de grace!

“We could call into the Lexus garage just to see what size boot the NX has?” I offered.

BINGO! Nearly there!

We arrived at Lexus Canterbury and surveyed their NX stock. We went to into the showroom and was greeted by Hardeep, one of the senior sales representatives. We asked if we could look at the size of the NX 300h boot. Also, could we also compare it with the Mesa Red RX 450h L?

Hardeep, the salesman, was superb and not pushy at all. We looked at the size of the NX boot and felt it was not far off what we have in the RX400h. Then we looked at the RX. We both liked the colour and I fell in love with all the features and the size of the boot! (we have a large Labrador). Hardeep spent some time explaining all the features on the RX. I was extremely impressed by his knowledge of the various specifications.

She sat in the driver’s seat of the RX and instructed Hardeep and me to stand at each corner! Hardeep suggested parking the RX next to our RX400h – well done Hardeep! A brilliant stroke!

It was about a foot longer but also wider. My wife much preferred the size of the NX.

“Too big!” was her final judgement.

We thanked Hardeep and were just about to leave when he said,

“What specification NX would you be looking for?” I then made up my mind to try and get the exact colour.

“Same as the RX, Mesa Red, Tahara interior, no pan roof.” I replied.

“Actually, we may have one in our group stock. If you have time, I can show you on the big screen and you can have a coffee and biscuits – no obligation, would you both like to take a look?”

Into the showroom for refreshments while Hardeep explained the specification and showed us the photos. Never make a rush decision, always have a think. Hardeep said if we were interested he could arrange for the car to be brought over for us to look at. We thanked him and said we would let him know. After discussions at home, we decided we could bring forward, by a year, our purchase.

We then arranged with Hardeep to see the car. Initially, I was a bit disappointed as the RX was immaculate. The NX was NOT a disappointment. Hardeep spent a good deal of time with us explaining the cars features. We took it for a test drive and decided to take the plunge.

I fully appreciate that a salesperson’s job is to relieve you of your money! Even so, Hardeep made it a very enjoyable experience. His understated enthusiasm for the brand was clearly evident, he was not pushy or too familiar in any way. To be honest he was a credit to Lexus Canterbury. I was satisfied with the trade-in price and we concluded the deal.

Part 2 of this tale will be the handover!

Watch this space!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hats off to Hardeep...but then again I know him personally....very nice gentleman originally he was a Toyota sales exec at Beadles Toyota Medway and the migrated to Lexus Canterbury/Maidstone....Good luck with your purchase 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a really nice story. You were faced with a top notch sales exec.

Lexus Stockport is where I bought my 2nd is300h. The sales exec, Jason I think, was introduced to me after I made the initial inquiry at the reception desk. 

I knew Stockport had the car and spec I was after and Jason knew of my history after I told him. On test drive I asked him where the roughest surfaced road was, my 1st is300h was awful on bad surfaces. No problem he said and directed me on to a lovely pot holed road. After the first pot hole was hit I said ill have it. Jason was surprised at my reaction of the car and after more explanation of my last is he understood and we went for a nice long test drive.

I got top dollar for my mondeo and a favourable payment plan. Drove there in a great mondeo but drove home in a great is300h. From first arriving to driving away was all done in under an hour. 

Stockport is ruddy good on the service side too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:04 PM, First_Lexus said:

Mesa Red, It’s a really beautiful colour when clean and in the sunshine…

I appreciate Ed, that I will be doing more cleaning than with my silver RX!

Thank you.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links