Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450 key problem

I have two keys and so when this problem occurred I fitted new batteries to them but still it persists.

I can get in the car, hold down the brake and press start - everything powers up and I can drive it fine.

When I stop, I press the power button, the dash turns off and the red security system LED flashes periodically which presumably confirms that the power is off. However, when I get out of the car it beeps and I can see through the window that it says 'Key not detected' if I press the fob to lock the car the message chages to 'Turn off power' !!! 

Another symptom may be that when I undo seat belt the seat is not powering back as usual but if i move it manually and then press the seat memory button on the door it does power to correct position.

I cannot lock the car although if I leave it for an hour and press the lock button on the fob from about 20 feet away, it does then lock and folds mirrors. Is there a system reset or should I disconnect and reconnect 12v Battery in rear.

What on earth is happening

2 hours ago, DaveRx450 said:

Worse still ive come to it next morning car locked and I imagine battery is flat. Key does not open drivers door. How do I get in?

Pull the mechanical key out of the fob and insert it into the lock in the door handle. It'll probably be very stiff from lack of use (some have even needed pliers to turn it) but it'll work. There'll be videos of it on YouTube if you're still not sure.

On a brighter not a brilliant AA guy got me in using a couple of thin air bags to spring the door at the top and a long hooked rod to putt the bonnet catch. From there it was plain sailing to jump the emergency terminals and with new power open the door and get the car to start and recharge the Battery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveRx450 said:

Nope the barrel turns easily but nothing is happening inside the door. My guess is that it's never been used from new and is all gummed up.

Aaarrghhh!    What an unwelcome series of events!   

(Posted after I'd noticed that the AA chappie had at least got you back in the car) - though there's still the original issues to resolve I guess - - (I just wish I could offer useful advice!)

2 hours ago, DaveRx450 said:

On a brighter not a brilliant AA guy got me in using a couple of thin air bags to spring the door at the top and a long hooked rod to putt the bonnet catch. From there it was plain sailing to jump the emergency terminals and with new power open the door and get the car to start and recharge the battery

GIven that you had to recharge the Battery, I'd be looking to give that a full charge or, if it's old, replacing it. I'd then look and see if/how many of my electrical gremlins still exist.

It may not be the cause of your problems, but is an easy first option, and often a failing 12v Battery can cause all sorts of unexpected problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

GIven that you had to recharge the battery, I'd be looking to give that a full charge or, if it's old, replacing it. I'd then look and see if/how many of my electrical gremlins still exist.

It may not be the cause of your problems, but is an easy first option, and often a failing 12v battery can cause all sorts of unexpected problems.

Fully agree. Many strange electrical  issues occur when the 12Volt Battery is on its way out or nearly flat.

• Like 1

it might be worth checking that the position switch on the gear lever is working correctly. if I switch the engine off with the lever in drive or reverse it all looks as if its turned off but is in the accessory position but with no visible warning or visual indications. if the switch is acting up it may give the symptoms you describe with locking etc. Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought. I always put it in park before switching off. Are you saying that even though it's in park a sensor might be saying otherwise.

I assumed that when the little security LED is blinking it meant that all is off.

Yes that's what I was thinking Dave but I'd forgotten you stated that the security light was blinking but a move of the lever in future is something to try. Good luck as it sounds tricky to track down.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links