Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ok Got The Car Through A Diagnostic Test......

jasear

Until someone a bit more knowledgeable comes along .....

OBD code types are explained here. Code list is here.

Assuming your full code is 'P0139' then :

P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

You'd need to confirm the 'P01' bit. Note that Toyota have their own manufacturer defined list as well ('P1xxx' codes).

Hope you get it sorted soon.

The problem is the Altezza 3S-GE engine wasn't/isn't used outside of Japan and therefore there was not reason for Toyota to change the ECU into a OBD-II compliant system.

This basically means it uses the old Toyota diagnostic method of flashing a two digit code on the dashboard when you short two pins together on the diagnostic socket.

A bigger problem is that the latest version of the 3S-GE engine has more codes available than the olders ones fitted to export vehicles and these are not documented in any UK manuals.

I've asked one of the guys on NZ LOC for a list of error codes that hopefully should have 39 listed.

Code 39 is a problem with a VVT signal. Either on the inlet or exhaust.

IG on, Open or short in the OCV circuit, for at lease 1 second.

Symptom - poor output when driving at high speed.

Inspect:

Wiring and connector (oil control valve)

Oil Control Valve

Engine ECU

+B2 voltage check

Thanks to greeneyes (Keith) from NZ LOC for the information

Edited by ColinBarber

Colin ure the most useful person on planet earth! :D

Thanks a lot guys for all your help. Anyway Colin, does this problem have any thing to do with the emission problems i have been having?

In any case im glad its not a big problem and its only some wiring. But i hope it solves the emission problem!

IG on, Open or short in the OCV circuit, for at lease 1 second.

Colin, do you mean by that, that when u turn the ignition it takes atleast more than 1 sec for the car to turn on? Cause that is exactly what happens when i turn the ignition on. I was reading up on this VVT signal which is generally known as the G signal. And from what i read i got the impression that the speedo problems i was having has also got something to do with this.

Click here and check it out.

I think it means ignition needs to be on and it has to detect an open or short for a second or more before the fault code is set.

It's not a problem with the VVT signal it's a problem with the OCV+, OCV-, OCV2+ or OCV2- signals which is part of the VVT-i system.

It may not be a wiring problem, it's the first thing to check. Could be a problem with a VVT-i solenoid or the engine ECU.

This may explain your CO problem and also why your engine doesn't seem to run properly at high rpm.

i dunno if this is relevant but i have also noticed another thing. When im driving the steering e.t.c. works perfect but as soon as i slow down completely it becomes very stiff . At first i thought the car wasnt warm enough and hadnt been driven for ages but now i suspect its more than that.

Well ure right colin cause the speedo convertor aint doing its job anyway. Ill get it checked but could the power steering thing have anything to do with the code 39 problem?

Cause the steering becomes very very stiff and when i turn it even makes that screeching noise power steering's make when u full lock them.

ure right colin, cause this problem wasnt there b4 the converter was fitted. It only came up afterwards. I always had my doubts that the converter hadnt been fitted correctly cause it doesnt show the correct speed for starters!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links