Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, I love my new LS (1995 MKIII), its by far the most comfortable car I have ever been in. Its puts my friends BMW 540i to shame :P

I just have a few small niggles with it.

1.) The aircon

The light for the aircon comes on but I dont get any cool air. Should the revs drop at all when(if) the compressor kicks in? I have had a brief look under the bonnet and I cant even see it to confirm wether it is or not! Is there a fuse for the aircon compressor clutch? Again, I have looked for this but I cannot see a fuse marked A/C. I have tried the diagnostic thing (holding the auto and recirc/external air button then turning ignition on) and I get the following codes: 14, 15, 21, 23, 24. Is this as bad as it sounds?

2.) The radio display

I know this is a common problem for the MKIII LS. The display is gibberish and none of the backlights work. What is the best solution for this? I have read a post about somewhere in Yorkshire repairing the display, but will they fix the backlighting too? Any idea of cost? Do I have to remove the radio myself? Is this easy?

3.) The memory function on the drivers seat.

It doesn't work 95% of the time. I set the positions with the car in park but mostly it just moves the steering wheel and not the seat. Is there anything I should check on this?

Thanks for you help on this guys, it is much appreciated.

Code 23 is abnormal refrigerant pressure so you may be low on gas.

The other codes are sensor problems - they may have been stored there for some time or maybe you have a fuse gone as I wouldn't expect multiple problems.

Hi guys, I love my new LS (1995 MKIII), its by far the most comfortable car I have ever been in. Its puts my friends BMW 540i to shame :P

1.) The aircon

The light for the aircon comes on but I dont get any cool air. Should the revs drop at all when(if) the compressor kicks in? I have had a brief look under the bonnet and I cant even see it to confirm wether it is or not! Is there a fuse for the aircon compressor clutch? Again, I have looked for this but I cannot see a fuse marked A/C. I have tried the diagnostic thing (holding the auto and recirc/external air button then turning ignition on) and I get the following codes: 14, 15, 21, 23, 24. Is this as bad as it sounds?

2.) The radio display

I know this is a common problem for the MKIII LS. The display is gibberish and none of the backlights work. What is the best solution for this? I have read a post about somewhere in Yorkshire repairing the display, but will they fix the backlighting too? Any idea of cost? Do I have to remove the radio myself? Is this easy?

It doesn't work 95% of the time. I set the positions with the car in park but mostly it just moves the steering wheel and not the seat. Is there anything I should check on this?

2) PM 'maria', her husband's company might be able to help - based newbury

3) there's an ECU under one of the front seats that controls the seat motors, but, are you getting the 'beep' when you set '1'? cos if you're not, then it's not storing it anyway.

It fell straight into my lap. Sarah's dad just happened to spot on at a garage 2 miles from my house. He called in and it was the owners car and not for sale, but after a bit of haggling he convinced him to sell it.

Its had 2 previous owners (1 of which was Gordon Lambs as a demo car) and has a history folder over an inch thick. Its done 176k but it is in amazing condition and runs like a dream. Its even got the optional sheepskin mats!

WELL HAPPY WITH IT :lol:

1.) The aircon

2.) The radio display

2) PM 'maria', her husband's company might be able to help - based newbury

3) there's an ECU under one of the front seats that controls the seat motors, but, are you getting the 'beep' when you set '1'? cos if you're not, then it's not storing it anyway.

I am getting the beep, it just doesnt move the seat every time. It moves the mirrors and steering column though.

I am getting the beep, it just doesnt move the seat every time. It moves the mirrors and steering column though.

there's a seperate ECU for the mirrors, (above the glove box) and another ECU for the steering column (close to the steering column), and the third is for the seats, under the driving seat (it looks like, on the bad drawing i've got!) look for a multiway plug that's loose or damaged. doesn't sound like a fuse as it's intermitent.

i assume the seat moves every time you use the manual switches?

Yes it moves fine with all the manual switches, so I know the motors are all ok.

On the aircon fault, after consulting with Chris Shipley and Mick at Lexus Stafford (cheers again :D ), I reset ECU 'B' and faults 14 and 15 disappeared. I was told that that faults 21 and 24 were the solar sensors and nothing to worry about as these only clear in bright light conditions. This just leaves fault 23 which is as Colin says, 'abnormal refrigerant pressure'. This is one of only two faults that stops the compressor clutch operating, so I am faced with a dilemma - do I have the system recharged and hope there is no leaks, or have someone do a leak test and service on the aircon system? Does anyone have any idea of how much it costs to recharge the aircon?

Cheers, Andy

Congratualtions on your new purchase Andy. Looking forward for a Pimp ride soon. :zee:

No problem bud :zee:

I guess I had better start ringing round for quotes then :( I dread doing this coz I reckon that as soon as you say 'Lexus' the price doubles :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links