Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HB3 led bulbs

As Colin says, that would be an MoT fail ...

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

Don't be inconsiderate and blind oncoming drivers!

You can improve the light levels legally by fitting upgraded halogen lamps (I was always told Lamps glow and bulbs grow...) such as Osram Nightbreakers. Although don't expect them to last as long as standard lamps.

If the socket fit, you have headlamp washing system and automatic levelling of headlamps they would have been legal in EU in 2005 when I stopped working. What happened since and how it is in UK I do not know. Also are main lamps low or high beam or combi?

Canbus (if lamps are controlled by that) can behave strange as Halogen bulbs have different inner resistance than LED.

Also, some LED have so much light output that it is possible to blind oncoming cars.

Quite a lot to take care of, and it could be not very legal.

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

As Colin says, that would be an MoT fail ...

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

In Denmark it was before 2000 legal and after 2000 only if accepted by car importer when I stopped working in car business 2005. Sold HID to some car importers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links