Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrading 2014 IS 300H small sat nav screen to the bigger version seen in the 2018 Takumi edition..

Has anyone attempted to change the older screen with the more newer version seen in the more recent IS 300H's which have a bigger screen? Would be good to hear if anyone has knowledge on this and if its feasible.

Example of the newer and bigger screen below:

Lexus IS 300h (2013-2020) interior & comfort | DrivingElectric

Thanks 🙂

Talking about real Lexus system from facelift model - no not feasible and not economical, basically you would need to replace complete system and a lot of wiring (I guess theoretically possible if you have right skills). Just parts alone would be £3000+ unless you can get everything required used, but I almost inevitably see issues cropping-up with something missing and delaying everything for weeks or months. Not only that even "new" Lexus system is still relatively trash (compared to Android Auto/apple carplay capabilities... and it has no such connections).

If you want - "lookalike" Android unit which will have 10.8" screen Android Auto/ apple carplay and which will be overall 10 times better than anything Lexus has to offer... then yes, it is possible - they are made model specific with plug and play harness and you can get them for £500-700 and it is 30-60 min job.

Something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005058569702.html NOTE - I am not saying buy this particular thing from this particular seller, this is just an EXAMPLE of what you need to be looking for. Generally, by the time decent quality product reaches UK they cost ~ £500-700, the price difference could be in the amount of storage, ram size, CPU etc (so you need to check and compare). As well generally sellers should confirm with you regarding harness you need e.g. if you have premium system or ML, the harness will be different and they should provide plug and play harness specific to your model.

Now - is some chinese system from alibaba better than what Lexus offers... YES... many times better, actually not even in the same league! Sadly, Lexus is just bad at making intuitive to use multimedia system.

• Like 1

Thanks Linas! That makes alot of sense. Do these Non-OEM systems behave correctly with Mark Levinson sound system too? I've read some people have issues with their audio not being as good as before?

Thanks 🙂

My understanding is that they don't change anything about audio as particularly in case of ML the amp remains the same, they just change interface controlling it so sound should not be affected. I haven't personally put one in IS with ML, but I am sure few owners on LOC had so may be able to confirm, but again from reading their treads I don't remember anyone complaining about sound quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rookiee said:

Thanks Linas, you've convinced me to go with a non oem android/apple car play kit. Nice matt, which version did you end up going for? Same as Linas's link?

No worries, good luck with it and let us know how it went!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

If you do not mind me asking, which one is it? Did you use it for IS 300h? or 250?

Engine does not matter, would be the same - the difference is whenever you have standard system with dial, or Premium/ML with whatever you call that thing... like a joystick. And based on that the harness would be different. If you look at my link it says 200t/250/300/300h/350... 

• Like 1

There's also this thread on installing carplay on the original screens.

2 hours ago, MattDH said:

I've just bought the 10.25" upgrade kit and waiting for the weekend to come to install it 

20230116_110223.jpg

Matt, it's my understanding these are touchscreen too? Is that correct?

On 1/16/2023 at 8:55 PM, rookiee said:

Thanks Linas, you've convinced me to go with a non oem android/apple car play kit. Nice matt, which version did you end up going for? Same as Linas's link?

I got this one. I have a 2014 IS250 with Mark Levinson joy stick unit. The seller assured me they'd send the relevant cables for the ML joystick unit. I chose FedEx IP as the delivery choice and paid roughly £45 import tax. The seller says if you choose DHL they pay the tax. Not too sure about that but choose at your own discretion 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOcx1Em

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:44 PM, immotek said:

There's also this thread on installing carplay on the original screens.

Matt, it's my understanding these are touchscreen too? Is that correct?

Yes the one I bought is touchscreen. Someone has bought an external touch pad and it looks like it works quite well with the unit. However his RC has the OEM trackpad, so unsure if it'll work with the dial type/joystick unit https://a.co/d/gKvdcNt

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MattDH said:

The seller says if you choose DHL they pay the tax. Not too sure about that but choose at your own discretion 

Yeah that likely means they mark it as "present with value of £0"... a.k.a "chinese paying taxes" 😄 

2 minutes ago, MattDH said:

Yes the one I bought is touchscreen. Someone has bought an external touch pad and it looks like it works quite well with the unit. However his RC has the OEM trackpad, so unsure if it'll work with the dial type/joystick unit https://a.co/d/gKvdcNt

It would be interesting to know how touchscreen works ergonomically... as the screen is quite far away. I guess on one hand it should be more convenient that Lexus joystick/touchpad, in other hand I am not sure screen is placed where the driver can reach, but perhaps good for passenger. The only issue with all that are fingerprints... 

Just a note, I was doing some research on the 10.25 screen and found two sources who have quoted reliability issues.

The first (and probably more reliable) is BeatSonic from the US (see the 4th comment on their video 2013-2016 LEXUS IS Apple CarPlay Android Auto Install / Demo - YouTube) who stated they arent offering it due to reliability issues.

The second is this chap who posted on his own install video (2015 Lexus IS 10.25 Android Head Unit Upgrade Installation - YouTube) - see top comment and who said the unit stopped working within a year. Another poster also relays his experience of reviews with similar findings too.

Just thought I would mention it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah that likely means they mark it as "present with value of £0"... a.k.a "chinese paying taxes" 😄 

It would be interesting to know how touchscreen works ergonomically... as the screen is quite far away. I guess on one hand it should be more convenient that Lexus joystick/touchpad, in other hand I am not sure screen is placed where the driver can reach, but perhaps good for passenger. The only issue with all that are fingerprints... 

Most likely the case, but if it's going to save you X amount on import duty/tax why not have a shot at it 😁

From an ergonomic standpoint it's bad to use the touch screen, especially if you're sitting quite far back. However I bought it mainly for the Androud Auto capability + larger screen. So almost everything will be done via the phone at startup and then using the screen on a ad-hoc basis 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, immotek said:

Just a note, I was doing some research on the 10.25 screen and found two sources who have quoted reliability issues.

The first (and probably more reliable) is BeatSonic from the US (see the 4th comment on their video 2013-2016 LEXUS IS Apple CarPlay Android Auto Install / Demo - YouTube) who stated they arent offering it due to reliability issues.

The second is this chap who posted on his own install video (2015 Lexus IS 10.25 Android Head Unit Upgrade Installation - YouTube) - see top comment and who said the unit stopped working within a year. Another poster also relays his experience of reviews with similar findings too.

Just thought I would mention it.

There will always been instances of issues with Android units. Some will experience issues and others won't. It's luck of the draw as with anything to do with technology. Look at Tesla for instance, plagued with software and electrical issues, but people still buy them. 

The cost of this particular unit I bought with the features it brings vastly outweighs the doubt of not getting it due to other peoples experiences. If I do experience issues, I'll contact the seller on Aliexpress. Haven't had any issues of not getting refunds/fixes by doing this in the past on the very few times I've needed to.

I previously had a Grom Vline2 unit and reviews of that was very much a mixed bag. Had issues within the first week as the CPU was faulty, was then replaced with a new unit by them. 

But yes, bringing attention to issues people have had with these sorts of units is good, but by all means people should do their due diligence when purchasing anything of value.

Got the unit installed. Screen quality is awesome. Only two issues I'm facing so far but they're minor and I'm sure can be fixed with a software update (already contacted the seller about this).

Screenshot_20230122_144148_Gallery.jpg

20230122_135037.jpg

20230122_135652.jpg

4 minutes ago, MotorDevil said:

Looking good @MattDH

What's the reverse camera like?

Be good to know what the minor issues are?

Can you still access all the normal Lexus settings as normal?

Reverse camera is fine, just a bigger picture of it.

1) When opening a door it shows the opposite side open. 2) Using the original joy stick for control is a bit hit and miss, but I've ordered a touchpad that I've seen works well.

The seller has asked me to send them some videos and additional information so hopeful they'll send a fix.

Yeah can quickly access OEM screen by holding Menu button. OEM looks way better now as clarity is great + bigger screen

20230122_151226.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MattDH said:

Got the unit installed. Screen quality is awesome. Only two issues I'm facing so far but they're minor and I'm sure can be fixed with a software update (already contacted the seller about this).

Screenshot_20230122_144148_Gallery.jpg

20230122_135037.jpg

20230122_135652.jpg

Looks good, sent the same seller my car details as well, to check if this fits my car, I am sure it does, but just checking before the purchase. However, it looks like it leaves smudges behind? I plan to use it with car play, so I am hoping mostly I will use my phone to use apps like Waze, that is what I am majorly after. 

Regarding installation, did you do it by yourself or got it installed?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Looks good, sent the same seller my car details as well, to check if this fits my car, I am sure it does, but just checking before the purchase. However, it looks like it leaves smudges behind? I plan to use it with car play, so I am hoping mostly I will use my phone to use apps like Waze, that is what I am majorly after. 

Regarding installation, did you do it by yourself or got it installed?

Well the marks on the screen are from my dirty sweaty hands and I didn't clean it properly after taking a photo. 

Yeah super easy to setup apple CarPlay/Android Auto. For me it was just plug in my phone to the USB port (that came with the android unit) and it worked in seconds.

I done it myself with the help of my brother for an extra pair of eyes/hands when needed. It is something that can be done solo but I would recommend just another person helps to make it that much easier. The hardest part was getting the cables through a small gap to the left behind where the headunit and screen sits 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MattDH said:

Well the marks on the screen are from my dirty sweaty hands and I didn't clean it properly after taking a photo. 

Yeah super easy to setup Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. For me it was just plug in my phone to the USB port (that came with the android unit) and it worked in seconds.

I done it myself with the help of my brother for an extra pair of eyes/hands when needed. It is something that can be done solo but I would recommend just another person helps to make it that much easier. The hardest part was getting the cables through a small gap to the left behind where the headunit and screen sits 

Thank you. One last one, any installation videos you followed?

(Ignore the question. Saw it in the message trail)

On 1/22/2023 at 6:35 PM, MattDH said:

Reverse camera is fine, just a bigger picture of it.

1) When opening a door it shows the opposite side open. 2) Using the original joy stick for control is a bit hit and miss, but I've ordered a touchpad that I've seen works well.

The seller has asked me to send them some videos and additional information so hopeful they'll send a fix.

Yeah can quickly access OEM screen by holding Menu button. OEM looks way better now as clarity is great + bigger screen

20230122_151226.jpg

UPDATE: The seller shown me how to fix the door issue (1). Can confirm now when opening the car doors it shows the correct one open on the screen.

They're looking into why the joystick doesn't work as expected in the Android screen but works normally when flicking back to OEM screen

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MattDH said:

UPDATE: The seller shown me how to fix the door issue (1). Can confirm now when opening the car doors it shows the correct one open on the screen.

They're looking into why the joystick doesn't work as expected in the Android screen but works normally when flicking back to OEM screen

Quick one, why were you charged 45 GBP? Is it 10% plus VAT?

3 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Quick one, why were you charged 45 GBP? Is it 10% plus VAT?

Import duty/tax because total cost was over £135 and shipped from outside the UK

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links