Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is 220d some advices

I own a Lexus and I'm really impressed by craftsmanship of the brand. 

I bought the car in November with 140k miles on it. Last owner was a mechanic and he said he change the injectors, fuel pump, filters oil on it. Dose not have a service history book but after I read it's service history book is up to 140k miles. After that I have to start servicing from the beginning, does anyone know from where I can find a service book?

The car have some issues like the common touch problem dosen't work that dosen't bother me. And after a month I noticed a rattling sound and sometimes cars smoke quite badly but not all the time. Usually after I go on motorway and arriving in town. Asking arround by the rattling sound some said it might be flywheel it can be my fault I went from an automatic to this manual after a long while and I stall the engine quite a few time during first week. Also it can be a loose bolt somewhere and something touching. The rattling sound is constant no matter rpm so might not be fly wheel my opinion. Also it comes from the right side of the engine but it's hard to tell. 

I'm thinking to keep the car until will be it's end but also I want to give this car to a friend who like the car also the deal was to buy this car for him until he have some money and me buying a Prius I really want to try cvt hybrid cars. For me smooth acceleration and nice mpg are my things. I wanted a brand new Yaris but right now with the cost of living a second hand Prius is best option for me. 

Back to Lexus everything works, the paint it's in the right condition after so many years and it's a nice cream color. So many told me it's a nice looking car. 

How expensive can be if I go to a dealership just to diagnose the car and see if everything it's ok? If it's too expensive I'm going back to my friend.

I do tend sometimes to go high rpm in first gear then change straight to 3rd. To clean EGR, DPF. 

Clutch it's just abit heavy to press it might be me or not. 

No oil, coolant or power loose. 

I usually drive like half an hour to work 5 days a week and in the weekend I tend to do higher milage. I'm thinking for long term for that notorious head gasket for this model if it's right for it. If not I will give this car to my friend he tend to do longer journeys.

So my final questions are should I keep the car sorting it's problems? Giving it to my friend and buy me a Prius? 

Regarding dealership - you need to call your local one and ask, some don't do it, some may charge you £120, or £140 for just inspection, some other may do it for free with sort of expectation you will continue doing business with them. If you do any service with them, then obviously the inspections is included anyway. 

As for keeping over giving it away, I would say - if you like Lexus brand then definitely give this car away. Lexus experience should be completely effortless and you should be able to do 100k+ miles with just basic service and maintenance, IS220d just falls below this expectation. IS220d is notorious and not only for headgaskets, your driving seems to be sufficient to keep the car barely alive, but if somebody does longer journeys on motorway everyday then it will be better suited for them. I would say - generally avoid any roads with effective speed lower than 40MPG/4th gear and any short journeys (say under 15min) as that is what kills EGR/DPF... and all other problems starts from there - injectors, turbos headgaskets and so on. I am sure it could be kept alive if you going to do all preventative maintenance ahead of time (like cleaning EGR and running manual DPF regen every 6k miles) and if you driving it only on motorway and for longer journeys, but overall it is just not reliable car or the one worth investing the money into.

• Like 1

2006 Lexus IS 220D my worst car. £1475.00 

If your actually giving it to him, free I wouldn't do anything to the car. If selling I would advise him not to buy if you value your friendship, should it go bang after he bought it.

Trade it in for a used Prius! Job done. No comeback for you and still have a friend.

After 18 months head gasket went. Scrap at 187,000 miles. Fixed the AC, with new AC condenser, Spare alloy, New tyres all round. Photo the day of collection for scrap. Got £350

Lexus.jpg

• Like 1

Well the story is something like this. My last car broke down and I bought the car because I needed for a long trip. Actually my friend told me about this Lexus because he wanted the car that much but he didn't had money for it at that time.  The deal is still in place. In meantime I start to like the car. Anyway I will see what he says about. If he doesn't want it I might trade it for a Prius then.  And our common friend is a mechanic I doubt he will try to screw us both he will be in trouble 😂

I see 220d's close to 200k. I won't do that much until I might change it or sell it to my friend. Anyway my concern is that rattling sound and the smoke sometimes. If i fix this I might keep it for the next 2 years. 

• 2 months later...

The smoke is gone, rattling noise too. I did a long trip and it's seems it's fixed. Drived it for like 200 miles in 4th gear almost all the time 2500rpm. It hurt me on mpg but im glad it's fixed. Now it's just puffs now and then.

Had a Golf 2.0tdi DSG 2005 a long time. 200K km, no real problems , just service. Before going to IVA (MOT where you live) I did drive around in sport low gearing - fast 10 - 15 minutes and the exhaust was clean and did pass the test. Short tours are bad for diesels. Never start it if it is not to be driven at least 10 - 15 minutes while warm.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links