Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Console/Panel light not working

Hi Guys

I have a problem with the illumination of the climate control, gearbox selection lights, window buttons, basically all the lights that are meant to illuminate on the centre console to be able to see them at night dont work. I only noticed this yesterday. The actual buttons work on the climate and windows etc, just cant see them at night anymore.

I have checked the fuses and they all seem fine. The fuse i checked was under the passener footwell, a 7.5a fuse that was labeled "panel" 

Any pointers at what the issue could be?

34 minutes ago, Rxv667 said:

I have checked the fuses and they all seem fine

Did you just look at it or did you actually check continuity across it with a multimeter? Sometimes they can look alright but fail to conduct.

Hi

i just looked at them in the light. 

I can do a continuity check tomorrow. 

Someone just told me the rear sidelights are not working either. 

Brake lights, reverse light works. Fuse again looked fine but will do a proper check tomorrow. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rxv667 said:

Hi

i just looked at them in the light. 

I can do a continuity check tomorrow. 

Someone just told me the rear sidelights are not working either. 

Brake lights, reverse light works. Fuse again looked fine but will do a proper check tomorrow. 

DRL`s do not operate at rear of vehicles normally.

Switch lights from AUTO and then check again.

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

DRL`s do not operate at rear of vehicles normally.

Switch lights from AUTO and then check again.

Just checked. No lights at rear

• Like 1

I used Techstream. No fault codes found. 

Done an active test on the relay and the headlight switch as per the trouble shooting in the repair manual. Both parts working fine. Rear lights come on in the testing. 

Repair manual states if not the above then it will be the main body ecu. 

Just thought I would update for anyone else having the same issues. 

Problem was

no interior panel/switch lights

no rear side lights

no number plate lights

no fog lights front or rear

evetything else working as normal. 

Checked all fuses, all ok. 
Techstream scan no DTC

Did a diagnosis with Techstream. Relay working fine for the rear side lights and the lights would work when testing with Techstream. 
Result was Techstream stated replace main body ecu. Found a used one on eBay for £40. 

Main body ecu is located behind the fuse box which sits under the passenger footwell.

Tips

I disconnected the negative Battery terminal.

I did not disconnect the passenger side leg airbag. It has to be removed but you can move it to the side without disconnecting it.  

I did not remove the entire fuse box and wires connected to it like it shows in the service manual. If you undo the two 10mm nuts holding the fuse box in place you can wiggle the fuse box enough to get to the main body ecu. 

Took about 30 minutes to replace and put everything back together. 

Problem solved. Everything works again.

The key fob stopped operating the locks wirelessly after replacing the main body ecu. I think it was to do with the initialisation of the gateway ecu and main body ecu ( I didn’t know what I was doing so was trying loads of stuff to get the key fob to work) which I did using Techstream or I cleared the DTC’s. I don’t know which but the fob works again. 

What caused the issue?

The only thing I did was replace the interior bulbs 6 of them in the overhead lights to some LED ones. This was two weeks before I had the problem but the LED bulbs were still working fine. Coincidence or not I don’t know but I have removed all the LED bulbs and put the standard ones back in  

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue. 

• Like 2

Replacement LED bulbs “blew up” my combination relay (ECU) many years ago in my 1994 LS400 giving rise to similar problems.

After finding a good replacement fixed the issue an internal examination of the failed unit revealed a fuse resistor had failed, 10 ohm 1 watt IIRC.

I put it down to cheap and nasty LED bulbs and also refitted the originals without further problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rxv667 said:

Just thought I would update for anyone else having the same issues. 

Problem was

no interior panel/switch lights

no rear side lights

no number plate lights

no fog lights front or rear

evetything else working as normal. 

Checked all fuses, all ok. 
Techstream scan no DTC

Did a diagnosis with Techstream. Relay working fine for the rear side lights and the lights would work when testing with Techstream. 
Result was Techstream stated replace main body ecu. Found a used one on eBay for £40. 

Main body ecu is located behind the fuse box which sits under the passenger footwell.

Tips

I disconnected the negative battery terminal.

I did not disconnect the passenger side leg airbag. It has to be removed but you can move it to the side without disconnecting it.  

I did not remove the entire fuse box and wires connected to it like it shows in the service manual. If you undo the two 10mm nuts holding the fuse box in place you can wiggle the fuse box enough to get to the main body ecu. 

Took about 30 minutes to replace and put everything back together. 

Problem solved. Everything works again.

The key fob stopped operating the locks wirelessly after replacing the main body ecu. I think it was to do with the initialisation of the gateway ecu and main body ecu ( I didn’t know what I was doing so was trying loads of stuff to get the key fob to work) which I did using Techstream or I cleared the DTC’s. I don’t know which but the fob works again. 

What caused the issue?

The only thing I did was replace the interior bulbs 6 of them in the overhead lights to some led ones. This was two weeks before I had the problem but the led bulbs were still working fine. Coincidence or not I don’t know but I have removed all the led bulbs and put the standard ones back in  

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue. 

Great result for £40 and a bit of time. Thanks for sharing.

Whilst researching the problem I had, I never came across a similar issue on the 3rd Gen IS. However it was pretty common on older GS and LS and RX models. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links