Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stats on NX 450h+ Predicted EV Range

I started this morning with 100% charge and estimated range (with a/c) of 50 miles. I wanted to give the engine a spin today so have covered about 30 miles in only HV mode.

Even though no pure EV mode my EV estimate is now 44 miles. So is this due to the car reassessing the EV range based on my HV trips or is the car stealing 6 miles of my EV accessible range? Anyone else noticed this? I think it could well be a range reassessment.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hayzee said:

I started this morning with 100% charge and estimated range (with a/c) of 50 miles. I wanted to give the engine a spin today so have covered about 30 miles in only HV mode.

Even though no pure EV mode my EV estimate is now 44 miles. So is this due to the car reassessing the EV range based on my HV trips or is the car stealing 6 miles of my EV accessible range? Anyone else noticed this? I think it could well be a range reassessment.

The traction Battery will have assisted the ICE over 6 miles of your journey and hence the ev range reduces by this figure.

• Like 1

yesterdays full charge predicted 43/51 but I’m going to be lucky to get 28 by the end of today over 5 journeys

managed to get up to 1.9m/kWh but only by turning off the heating (that’s not happening again!)

I'd love to know what algorithm/data is being used for the prediction 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken R said:

The traction battery will have assisted the ICE over 6 miles of your journey and hence the ev range reduces by this figure.

But in HV mode, the car uses the reserved 30% not the accessible 70% of the traction Battery. If I'd have started with zero EV miles (30% battery), I would have still achieved the same MPG in HV mode, as it uses the reserved 30% which it continually replenishes.

Last month I had a 300 mile round trip which I did exclusively in HV mode even though I had a full traction Battery. Over that mileage my EV miles estimate only reduced a similar amount of 5 or 6 miles.

• Like 1

Tricky one here.. and up for debate.. I think that the premise of the higher figure quoted, as opposed to real world is based upon the Battery showing its capacity factoring in Status/Temp/need to receive to run Systems. The real world performance, like anything is based upon the driving conditions and use of onboard systems such as all accessories, heated seats/steering wheel/climate control etc. All of this exacerbated  by the road conditions and outside temperture. In any normal ICE vehicle economy falls away in winter due to all of the above, lots of idling and engine working hard to maintain all core components, all whilst keeping you warm.. which can only come from the engine essentially. Its the same in a hybrid, whilst it'll do its best to drop into EV (as part of its HEV platform) the reality is that the engine will kick in more to do all of the above, hence appearing to drop away in performance. It's no longer a case of 50% plus of journey in EV. It's therefore sensible that this should be the same in the PHEV. The variable factor is the outside temp. The range will always be an indication of its capacity, the practical performance is then based upon use and climate. Think a full tank of fuel in spring/early summer "v" winter.. you get more for your money...  It's perfectly feasible that you could work towards the higher number on any other given day.. but the car essentially isn't smart enough yet to understand predictive temps and what that'll do.

I now tend to enter my real world miles per kWh into the vehicle section of my Wall charging app (Hive in my case) this then tells me based upon kWh received via the charge as to the possible range. So in the summer I was running at 4.1 mile per kWH against a capacity of 14.3kWh, therefore I tended to get 58 ish (and did) now its more like 2.1-2.3 miles to kWh, so.. based upon the capacity also dropping off a little to 14.1 is now more like early 30's.. again, feels realistic.. 

Lexus Link+ predicts 55/48. it's a big variance but it's based upon not knowing what the temps are and additional factors. 

Long read... sorry... open to theories though.. 

• Thanks 3

I now tend to enter my real world miles per kWh into the vehicle section of my Wall charging app (Hive in my case) this then tells me based upon kWh received via the charge as to the possible range. So in the summer I was running at 4.1 mile per kWH against a capacity of 14.3kWh, therefore I tended to get 58 ish (and did) now its more like 2.1-2.3 miles to kWh, so.. based upon the capacity also dropping off a little to 14.1 is now more like early 30's.. again, feels realistic.. 

Totally agree Pete and makes a lot of sense. Since getting the car whatever the prediction shown on the app [old or new] be it winter or summer I have always ignored these stated figures and noted the miles per Kw as the true prediction. As you rightly state by multipling the Battery Kw by the miles per KW gives a much truer figure. As a previous owner of a 100% EV it was the Miles per KW as the key...and again this figure always dropped quite significantly with a EV due to no ICE to fall back on for heating etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Figures continue with a downward trend as latest overnight charge showing a predicted 49/40.7.

Mine too Ken, I'm at 50/42 now, although I think I only just scraped 30 actual miles yesterday with a couple of motorway sections, zero degrees temp etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overnight charge result showing a slight decrease on without aircon at 48.2 but an increase on with aircon to 41.9.

Actual yesterday was 31.9 on the predicted 40.7.

• Thanks 2

On 12/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, Alan Thompson said:

Mine too Ken, I'm at 50/42 now, although I think I only just scraped 30 actual miles yesterday with a couple of motorway sections, zero degrees temp etc.

This morning I've got 50/41.5 but like Ken, I'm only actually achieving around 30 actual miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Previous car was a RAV4 PHEV which delivered 40+ miles EV range in winter and 50+ in Summer. My 450h is delivering 30+ during the cold weather and about 45 in warmer weather. They both have the same engine and Battery and the 450h is only a little heavier. Difficult to understand why such a wide discrepancy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Have just taken delivery of my replacement NX450h+ fSport Prem Plus
Starting on 40.8/37.6

first full charge last night, entered the stats into my hive app guesstimating 2.6 m/kWh. Wasn’t far off indicating a charge of 38miles. 

Showed a charge capacity of 15.06kWH. That the greatest capacity I’ve seen so far, may dip off as it settles but bodes well. 
now back to the job of educating the traction, albeit in the winter of course.. hope to see 60+ again as with my other NX. The difference being this time I’m running on bigger rims with a lower profile.. it’ll make a difference for sure.. 

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0708.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ve not joined in here of late but here’s my last night’s charge results. It’s the lowest we’ve recorded so far this winter but no doubt will decline further in the weeks to come.

Last actual achieved in EV mode was 38

IMG_3045.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still going up! Last few charges have been: (oldest) 45.6, 45.8, 45.9 46.1 and 46.4 (latest). Of course these small rises have to be seen in the context that I was getting over 50 in the summer - as explained in my post of 23rd November. It's as if the car reset itself to 'new' in the Welsh air and has been gradually improving since - as most of us found during our first few months of ownership.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links