Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stats on NX 450h+ Predicted EV Range

On 2/8/2023 at 9:04 PM, Ken R said:

Tonight's charge indicating 48.5/43.1. Car is 11 months old with 8800 miles on the clock.

Maybe 23 months?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pm4 said:

Maybe 23 months?

No. On the 8th Feb 2023 car was only 11 months old. Its now 23 months with just over 18000 miles on the clock.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is showing 54 with a/c but obviously not achieving that. I rarely use up the EV range each day which might explain my high estimate.

• Like 2

Going to try something a bit different as far as tracking.. range is on the climb like most are reporting. Currently at 48/44.5 (started with 40/38 on delivery in dec) now reseting history every month to allow for more realistic performance against kWh and mpg. 
February in screen shot, every week has seen at least a 150m+ trip (non stop) twice a week, so challenging to absolutely influence mpg over this distance on the back of EV compensating. 
but… tracking at 65+mpg over 1.3k with miles per kWh climbing to 2.9. 
Should start to see 70mpg+ return and climbing over 3m per kWh

Real world though? I’m only putting in £35 of fuel each time for a 310ish mile trip. EV cost is literally at 80p over the 85miles I’m getting based on a charge both ways. I charge at home on the outbound (own cost) charge at office for the return (no cost, yes lucky I know..) 

I’m On an off peak tariff with British Gas and Hive at 9.5p per kWh alongside  a new beta incentive to allow the charge to be longer of the full off peak window to support low grid usage.. This reduces the tariff to 5p per kWh hence £0.80p for 48miles.  Incredible..!! 

So, at the moment it’s already running at 8.6p per Mile combined.. far cheaper than a hybrid and would absolutely wipe the floor with a similar sized diesel SUV. 

IMG_0978.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a question.

As I understood, the Battery can't go < 30% so when it reaches that point the car switches to HV mode.

I charged the Battery to 100% and it showed 65 km (40 miles) of total range with an AVG consumption that in the meantime has reached 5.1 kW/h, I actually drove for that amount of predicted miles and now in car I see 3 notches of charge on the dashboard and from Lexus Link+ (which is a garbage app) I see 39% of residual charge with a predicted range of just 3.3 km (2 miles).

Is this correct or the car is underestimating the figure? I usually drive 10 km (6 miles) with 10% charge.

image.thumb.png.47b4f23937a330f47a1455fbe15d2025.png

The way Lexus cars calculate the estimated range is still a mistery to me after years.

My understanding is that, as you say, the traction Battery retains about 30% of its charge. There are good reasons for this but 30% does seem on the conservative side to me. I would prefer the app showed the percentage of usable charge; 100% when fully charged and 0% when there was no usable range left but it's not a big deal.

Same is true of the dash display; if I can't have/use the last 30%, then don't show it. True of the fuel tank too; if it's full to the top, I want to see all the bars in the green and for the number of bars to reduce proportionally until the tank is empty. Then I can be clear and know that if it gets to one remaining bar, I need to start looking for a petrol station. Toyota/Lexus conservatism is annoying here; as another thread has shown, owners have found that there is often still a significant amount of fuel left in reserve when the dash would have you believe that the car is in imminent danger of running out of fuel and being stranded.

Estimates on the dash display and the app cannot be calculated in the same way. My dash has been showing an EV range of between 71km and 73km for weeks now whereas the app has been gradually creeping up by 0.2 or so without a/c and 0.3 with a/c over the same period. However, to be honest, I just let the car get on with it; if the fuel looks low, I top it up, if the Battery needs charging, I charge it - a bit like the olden days before we had these fancy apps! I know that if I drive gently, I get more mpg or Battery miles, if I drive more aggressively my £ doesn't take me as far and I don't need an app (or a home smart meter) to tell me that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

My understanding is that, as you say, the traction battery retains about 30% of its charge.

And then again, what's the point of stating in the user manual that a full Battery charge (0-100%) will take 2 hours and a half at a constant peak charging power of 6.6 KW when it's clear that the car doesn't allow the Battery to be completely drained in the first place?

The actual Battery capacity we're allowed to use is 12.67 kW/h, therefore it would take less time to perform a full charge (30-100%).

With that said, yesterday I took the car and driving in the parking lot at very low speed decreased the range of 2 km, even driving in city only I've never been able to achieve the "89-98 km" of official EV range Lexus quote for city driving scenario, so at this point I don't care anymore and will just top the fuel/battery whenever I can.

Thank God I have a plug-in car and not a fully electric car, really, because I'd have sold it after 2 weeks because of the range anxiety.

It's always amazing to me how Toyota and Lexus seems to genuinely hate their customer base, between s*** like this and the app Lexus Link which has been horrible since the day they released it (literally open the app store on your phone and check the reviews under the app because 98% of them are insults and rants), I wonder how the entire world's journalists can still call Lexus a luxury brand, and I say this as a long time customer...

I believe that the reason the PHEV has a large 30% reserve for the traction Battery is because the PHEV has a total power output of 302 BHP created from the engine and an electric motor on each axle. When you floor the accelerator etc this demands full or nearly full power output, which means the traction Battery will be able to provide the necessary power to the motors even if you have zero EV miles available.

If you drive the car very hard with just the 30% reserve it is possible to see the reserve drop below 30% if the engine hasn't been able to maintain it because of driver demand. However, the car is clever enough not to let the driver deplete this reserve by too much by limiting BHP regardless of how heavy footed you are.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links