Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres

Maura

My own experience is that I had to replace my rear run flat tires at 8,000 miles as they were not wearing evenly. I guess it all depends on how well you maintain the tires - alignment, tire pressure, etc. Probably others can answer the question better.

I understand many owners are changing to tires other than non-run flat, IE Michelin PS5.

14 hours ago, RiverFred said:

My own experience is that I had to replace my rear run flat tires at 8,000 miles as they were not wearing evenly. I guess it all depends on how well you maintain the tires - alignment, tire pressure, etc. Probably others can answer the question better.

I understand many owners are changing to tires other than non-run flat, IE Michelin PS5.

Just turned 10000 miles on mine and I would think at least 5 mm left on them. Certainly, when the times comes I will be swapping the run flats for conventional tyres. Frankly, this is my third car with run flats and I am looking forward to the positive transformation their replacements will make.

At my last service, September 2021, they told my i needed new tyres, 8500 miles, when i questioned them about it they told me that i had ware on the inside edge on all 4 tyres and had around 2mm left, although the rest of the tyres on all 4 wheels had around 4/5 mm, Odd as two days before it had passed its MOT with no advisories. When i looked its just the very inside edge similar to the outside edge which i doubt has much more than 3mm on them when new. i put this down to driving over square speed humps of which i have loads in my area. i will have to see what happens on the MOT this September.

I just got my LC back from its 5 year service but have only done 17K miles from new. I have the 20 inch wheels and the Turanza tyres are worn to an overall average of about 5mm tread depth left.

Interestingly, the fronts are pretty evenly worn across the width of the tread but the rears are worn about one mm more in the centre than the edges of the tread. This usually indicates over inflation but I have always set my pressures with a Snap-On gauge to the recommended 2.3 bar and this is confirmed by the on-board system.

On the way back from Hedge End, I noticed that the car felt "floaty" so I checked the pressures the next morning and found that they were about 2.5 bar all round. I reset these to 2.3 bar and the car feels OK again.

Regarding replacement tyres, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting run-flat ones. I had an Aston DB9 which was fitted with Bridgestone Run Flats as standard. I changed these for Michelin PSS and the ride improvement was huge.

Has anyone who has put new tyres on their LC got any comments?

It's a 2 ton car with the thick end of 470hp - tyre's will get eaten I'm afraid.

If you're doing a lot of miles then there may be some benefit to looking into harder compounds, but they won't do the ride or handling any favours.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links