Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

95 Ls400 Steering rake etc adjustment

You clever guys .........  is there a simple instruction on how to deal with this issue ?

I'm understanding on my age car it's simple washers involved and NOT the expensive mullarkey electronics etc

Thanks for any thoughts you may have  ..............    the in-out is fine it's the up-down adjustment that's only just begun to not adjust

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

So there we are then .  popped her into my " new " local garage and he did all the necessaries with a new washer etc AND the grinding sounds gone BUT the up-down tilt rake still isn't working .   ........ but the grating sound has vanished .  thankfully

The in-out is as fine as ever ..........  he suggests to try to source a 2nd hand replacement motor ..........  assuming a brand new one is probably impossible to find and neither is there going to be anyone who can simply refurbish the motor bushes etc which he says is a little tired / knackered ...  at 27.5 years and 244k miles young I'm not too surprised 

Any thoughts anyone ?

Thanks

Malc

update this morning .  popped out in the dear old lady to go swimming .  as one does in this bitterly cold weather  🥶

AND woweeee. the up-down rake has some life back ...........  but not fully sadly ................  BUT at her age and miles it's not a bad outcome thus far eh !

Let's see if things might improve a little with the better weather approaching ( eventually ) and more use of whatever my indy mechanic managed to achieve 

BTW he didn't charge me coz he couldn't do a proper and full job I guess at this time  ✌️

Malc

On 3/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, Malc1 said:

to try to source a 2nd hand replacement motor ..........  assuming a brand new one is probably impossible to find

Gentlemen / Steve maybe  .... .  any thoughts here   likely part number etc maybe  ??    coz it's quite frustrating me losing the up-down and now restrictiveness of just the in-out and slight up-down flexibility ..........  oh dear, wot old age does to one eh !

Thanks

Malc

New gear assemblies with the motor are available from Amayama I believe at around £300 plus postage etc. 2 part numbers depending on year of manufacture. I think these part numbers are correct. There is a Lexus breaker as well

https://lexusbreakers.co.uk/

45810-50020 01 10.1994 - 08.1995 GEAR ASSY, TILT STEERING, W/MOTOR UCF20

or

45810-50030 01 08.1995 - 08.1998 GEAR ASSY, TILT STEERING, W/MOTOR UCF20
  • Like 1

doing the  8  click dance seems to have improved the rake action performance ....  mostly ..  thank you Mark  .  I'll see how this all unfolds before I go-get a replacement rake fix

Malc

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

doing the  8  click dance seems to have improved the rake action performance ....  mostly ..  thank you Mark  .  I'll see how this all unfolds before I go-get a replacement rake fix

Malc

You may find you need to do this every time you start the car. My rake and reach is fine but I do this every time anyway as it still gives a bit more.

• Like 1

hey one and All ..........  I'm thinking the new replacement steel washer my indy replaced for free has bedded in and all the rakes, in-out, up-down .......now seem to work a treat .......

Fingers Xd for continuation of this really expensive  .  laughing here, FREE FIX ....  a steel washer and the video provided, together with the  8  click dance suggestion  ....  blessed V8 4 ltr limo eh  !  🥰

Malc

• Like 1

aha, but not quite  .......  headlamp bulb out today, main beam works fine but not the ordinary beam .  and this is a bulb we changed a year or so back ...  remember bought from Halfords and paid them to have it changed too .  maybe £15 all-up .  anyone remember my thoughts here at that time ?

Anyway, a seriously good thump and wizzooooo, she's back on ok  BUT I did find the complimentary second bulb that came in the Halfords pack just in case ........

.......... not quite the self-healing we sometimes see with the older Ls400 ........  maybe the thump re-lodged the filament or summat .  let's wait and see how she goes eh !

Malc

seriously tho' everyone ............ .  running these older brilliant simple technology limousines, our Ls400s ......  V8  4 ltr comfy, reliable and surprisingly petrol economic too ........ are a wonderful blessing 

why on earth all these other people are chasing for summat technically so advanced that it's going to cause immense headaches at some stage .  and huge reductions in one's personal wealth ......  baffles me 

I'm old fashioned  ...........  and as someone mentioned on the Roy of the Rovers Requiem ......... in our Twilight years ........  does it really take Age to develop Wisdom with cars  😇

OR just a lack of ambition to grow old gracefully and simply rather than chasing around trying to become a Boy Racer ....  isn't the Ls400 quick witted and fast enuf ? 

Malc  🤩

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links