Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Bike Rack for IS300h

Hi, Everyone.

just wanted to check if someone has installed bike racks that can carry 2 cycles on car roof. I know it might make the car look ugly but still wanted it for a temp period of few months. Any help or leads please?

I have Thule roof bars with two Thule bike carriers. Works well but is a pain to install, unless you plan on leaving the racks on for an extended period of time (the bike carriers slide in/out of the grooves in the roof bars).

There is a weight limit so not usable for e-bikes, but has worked well for my Mountainbike and road bike. Be extremely careful mounting the roof bars. It’s very easy to scratch/dent the roof of you drop them. I always make it a two-person job. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Reviving this topic as i have picked up the love for MTB and now want to invest in my own bikes.

At present i will be looking to carry 2 bikes but could extend to 3 bikes next  year.

Any elegant solutions? im not keen on the idea of boot racks, i fail to see how they cannot scratch or dent the boot lid.

Any photos would be helpful too

On 3/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, j051 said:

I have Thule roof bars with two Thule bike carriers. Works well but is a pain to install, unless you plan on leaving the racks on for an extended period of time (the bike carriers slide in/out of the grooves in the roof bars).

There is a weight limit so not usable for e-bikes, but has worked well for my Mountainbike and road bike. Be extremely careful mounting the roof bars. It’s very easy to scratch/dent the roof of you drop them. I always make it a two-person job. 

How do you fit the roof rack??

28 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

So it definitely can be done:

Hope it helps anyone else searching for answers in the future 

Used to have those sort of bars on a Honda Accord - they were model specific (Honda branded) and a screw mechanism clamped then under the roof where the door closes and down onto the top of the roof. There might also be generic ones from the likes of Thule. 

On this topic of carrying bikes, is there a towing bar that can be fitted with a bike rack attached? At present I have a rack which I strap on top of the boot but looking for something more secure.

13 minutes ago, ikeja said:

On this topic of carrying bikes, is there a towing bar that can be fitted with a bike rack attached? At present I have a rack which I strap on top of the boot but looking for something more secure.

I have seen them and ive seen Is300h with them fitted.   But in order to fit them you would have to take the  bumper off.. too me that translate to too much trouble.

But i realised some other members have done some interesting things with their car, see here:

30 minutes ago, ikeja said:

I looked into getting a tow bar fitted to my IS 300h. The car is able to have one fitted and tow small trailers etc. but there is only one tow bar available that has to be purchased through Lexus - given the rarity of the car there are no 3rd party ones available (at least in the UK). A tow bar fitter could probably fit the Lexus one (or even DIY) but I know if Lexus fit it then incl. the price of the tow bar it was over £1,000 - in the end I decided to do without.

• Sad 1

And it seems those boot racks do actually scratch the car!

I saw an amazon review of one after following an image of an IS300h with one fitted..... the edge of the boot lid gets scratched beyond belief... so i will defo not be getting a boot rack.

That leaves 3rd party roof rack or tow bar.... or sell the car and get a VW Camper 😂

21 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Found this, they sell the roof bars and racks for the IS 2013+

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=roofbar&query=8124

Price is decent too

Yes the roof bars are like the ones I had on a Honda Accord - however take care fitting them as they can damage the area of the underside of the roof above the door where they clamp in place as the clamps there are thin metal (so they don't interfere with the rubber door seals) without much protection. On top of the roof ours had thick rubber pads so that part was ok. Also need to make sure they are clamped up tight as if they slip at all not only is it dangerous but it will damage paint. 

• Sad 1

I have used Thule square-section bars with model-specific clamps to the door reveals since forever. Works on the IS250, and worked on two Toyota Camrys (and several Citroens before that). But I don't know what sort of fitment you need to attach bikes with through-axles to the roofbars — if anyone has a product to answer, it will be Thule.

1 hour ago, MartinH said:

I have used Thule square-section bars with model-specific clamps to the door reveals since forever. Works on the IS250, and worked on two Toyota Camrys (and several Citroens before that). But I don't know what sort of fitment you need to attach bikes with through-axles to the roofbars — if anyone has a product to answer, it will be Thule.

Thule website does not show any products for IS 2013+

Folks i have some exciting news..... there is official roof rack available from Lexus for the IS:

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-roof-rack-2013-onwards/
Part #: PZ41B-C1610-GA

I called Lexus Edinburgh initially to confirm and i was told they sold one back in march for a customer.
when you open front and rear door you will see along the frame there is 2 hole which are used by the pins for the roof rack.  He also said it has thick rubber contacts for both the door frame and the roof and thus should never damage the paint.

I should also point out despite all the noise around this i don't actually have bikes yet 😂
At least now i know i dont have to get rid of the car...Yet.... 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Folks i have some exciting news..... there is official roof rack available from Lexus for the IS:

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-roof-rack-2013-onwards/
Part #: PZ41B-C1610-GA

I called Lexus Edinburgh initially to confirm and i was told they sold one back in march for a customer.
when you open front and rear door you will see along the frame there is 2 hole which are used by the pins for the roof rack.  He also said it has thick rubber contacts for both the door frame and the roof and thus should never damage the paint.

I should also point out despite all the noise around this i don't actually have bikes yet 😂
At least now i know i dont have to get rid of the car...Yet.... 🙂 

I find Lexus IS300h the most impractical car when it comes to luggage.

18 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Never had issue with it, last year we did 1350 miles around the UK with 3 kids in tow, no bother. 

I suspect you don't like the subwoofer parcel shelf?

Same here - it's surprising how much it will swallow. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links