Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

10 hours ago, bernieeccles said:

Looks like the usual perforated leather for seat cooling to me.

Thank you for the reply. The dealer also said it was the 12"3 inch monitor, but car.info says 3"5. I have always trusted car info..

3 hours ago, johnatg said:

I rather think the car info is correct. It looks like a small screen on the pics from the reversing camera.

Oh, wow. That might be a dealbreaker for me. I think the interior looks alot less appealing without the 12"3.

How is the GS450 in winter? Heavy snow and/or icy conditions with its RWD?

1 hour ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

Attached should be the uk GS 2012 brochure. I think the 3.5inch screen is the small one in front of the steering wheel. In the brochure are what I think are 2 sizes of main screen, 12.3 and 8 inch. 

lexus-gs-brochure-2012-uk.pdf 2.11 MB · 0 downloads

Oh. That didn't clarify anything. I still have no idea what size main screen is. Car.info have no answer, so am guessing it is the 8".

you will find that the 3.5 is the small screen between speedo and rev/eco dial give limited info and the 12.3 is the split screen main info sat nav,climate  and radio dial etc

edit

i think johnatg may be right it looks like the 8in screen

Thanks for all the useful answers. You we're right. The screen was 8".

I am kinda disappointed that the seller said 12"3. I went by a Toyota-dealer by accident today and went in to look.

He had a 2018 Prius with 65k miles on the clock. Looked decent, felt good inside. Asking price? 16300!£ fully serviced at Toyota with the option to extend hybrid Battery during 10 years.

Another was a Corolla 2019 with 46k, with sunroof and leather seats. 16950£. Was impressed with the inside but the performance of both cars was extremely lacking.. I have never owned a hybrid before so thats why i am so flimsy.

11, soon to be 12 year old GS450 without warranties or any of these two with warranties, hybrid warranty. Extremely boring drive vs refinement, comfort and power. Basically heart or head.. i am dying here. 

I agree with John: before buying the GS I had a 2004 Prius which was my first hybrid. I can't complain as in 12 years that I have owned it only had one issue solved with 150 euros. It was ok to drive, very good in consumption, comfortable and with a huge boot. But the driving experience was poor obviously, compared to the GS: I could not overtake in safety with the Prius on local roads. It was even the 1.5 cc engine (while the one you saw is the 1.8 cc one) so really a quiet car. It was ok as my first hybrid but after sometime I felt I needed more pleasure of driving. It is not worth buying a car which firstly is not cheap (Prius or Corolla), and secondly you may regret it because you don't enjoy driving it. In your position I would buy the GS, if I really desire it, knowing that it might be a risk without any warranty but also that it rarely fails. Anyway even my Prius was without any warranty when I bought it and I kept it for 12 years. I would have kept it longer if I had not found the GS that I wanted.  

On 3/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, TheSalmon said:

On the plus side, the car is 11 years old, so i dont have to serve it at Lexus after purchase, since no guarantees or benefits apply, just a hefty bill. 

I would still keep servicing it at Lexus for peace of mind: you may save some money on the cost of the labour (but not on the parts if you use original ones) if you have it serviced by an independent garage but for me it is not worth: I recently had mine serviced by Lexus and I asked the major service with the replacement of the spark plugs. I knew that replacing the spark plugs is not an easy work and I did not want an independent garage to do it. Next 14th April I will bring it again to Lexus to replace the shock absorbers. Again I may save some money by going to an independent or using non OEM parts but even my garage suggested me to bring it to the Lexus dealer for this work.    

1 hour ago, serbarry said:

I would still keep servicing it at Lexus for peace of mind: you may save some money on the cost of the labour (but not on the parts if you use original ones) if you have it serviced by an independent garage but for me it is not worth: I recently had mine serviced by Lexus and I asked the major service with the replacement of the spark plugs. I knew that replacing the spark plugs is not an easy work and I did not want an independent garage to do it. Next 14th April I will bring it again to Lexus to replace the shock absorbers. Again I may save some money by going to an independent or using non OEM parts but even my garage suggested me to bring it to the Lexus dealer for this work.    

Understood. I just feel like it can become a money pit since the car is 12 years old in July. If i want to change car in lets say 3 years and the car is at 130k miles, how much has the GS450 lost in value? Im going in with 8k of my own money.

Any opinions on the NX300? The wife loves suvs.

If it is a 2012 GS it will be 11 years-old in July. Mine 2008 I bought in December 2021 for 8,250 euros. I don't know how much value it could have in 3 years, maybe 10 - 11,000 euros? Anyway I would not buy it now for keeping it only 3 years as I would choose something to keep longer. 

1 hour ago, TheSalmon said:

So true. I dont know what i am doing basically. I wanted a new car for comfort, so that is why i am going after.

Does the GS450h 4th gen have a chain or a belt?

Chain. (In fact, 3 chains - a main one and two subsidiary ones to drive the exhaust camshafts)

So long as oil change intervals are adhered to they don't give any trouble.

If it is a 2012 GS it will be 11 years-old in July. Mine 2008 I bought in December 2021 for 8,250 euros. I don't know how much value it could have in 3 years, maybe 10 - 11,000 euros? Anyway I would not buy it now for keeping it only 3 years as I would choose something to keep longer. 

So you bought it for 8.250 euros and you think it will go up in value in 3 years to 10-11.000?

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

Chain. (In fact, 3 chains - a main one and two subsidiary ones to drive the exhaust camshafts)

So long as oil change intervals are adhered to they don't give any trouble.

Thanks. Got a call from a trader today that said they had a 2018 NX300 fully specced in with 74k miles on the meter för 22k. Is the NX a good car?

No I am talking about yours which can reduce in value to 10-11,000 euros in 3 years. Of course they don't increase the value.   

Wow. That is a pretty harsh decrease from 15400£. Do you think i should negotiate the price further?

4 minutes ago, TheSalmon said:

Wow. That is a pretty harsh decrease from 15400£. Do you think i should negotiate the price further?

It is just a guess and I may probably be wrong and anyway I thought the price was in euros (15,400) not £. Of course I would advise you to negotiate further if you can, possibly on the fact that no warranty is given. 

You can expect any car to depreciate by 30% at least over 3 years - sometimes a lot more - occasionally rather less. Unless it's a classic car, probably over 30 years old, when they tend to start appreciating again.

Depreciation has been distorted (reduced) over the last few years because of the shortage of new cars due primarily to the semiconductor supply problems

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

You can expect any car to depreciate by 30% at least over 3 years - sometimes a lot more - occasionally rather less. Unless it's a classic car, probably over 30 years old, when they tend to start appreciating again.

Depreciation has been distorted (reduced) over the last few years because of the shortage of new cars due primarily to the semiconductor supply problems

Thanks for the answer. Do you think 15400£ is too steep for a Gs450H comfort with 81.000 miles and no warranty?

30% sounds really high when the car is 10 years old. Feels like that kind of percentage should have been done already? 

Det sägs vanligtvis att värdeminskningen för en bil första året är 20% till 25%. Andra året, ligger värdeminskningen runt ytterligare 18%. Värdeminskningen för en 4 år gammal bil ökar med ytterligare 10%. I slutändan tappar din bil cirka 50 % av sitt värde efter 5 års cirkulation

The rule says that the depreciation the first year alone is 20-25%, second year 18-20%, and after 5 years it has lost 50% value. Where would these 30% come from? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links