Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h - Fitting front lower arm bushes

Hiya All,

I have a 2010 RX450h car and it has just had an MOT and service at Lexus.

The Lexus techinician has highlighted that the front bushes are worn, however this is not an advisory on the MOT.

The bill from Lexus for this job is £2,300.

The real question is can just the bushes be replaced or is it the whole lower arm and secondly has anyone done this job themselves?

Many thanks,

Theo

You could try - PSBushings  - poly bushes that a local indi could fit.

Certainly others have used Poly bushes on lexus with no problems

Otherwise might be cheaper to use  Amayama to get genuine replacements but not sure which control arm bushes cannot as purely the bushes.

I am sure some other members will come back with better answers

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, love the LS 400 by the way. Looked at the links, intesting and good starting point. 👍

Really trying to understand if the lower arm needs to be removed or can bushes be replaced while lower arm is still on the car. Also as not on MOT advisory is this an issue.

Any videos or knowledge would be great.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Theo86 said:

The Lexus techinician has highlighted that the front bushes are worn, however this is not an advisory on the MOT.

I would get a second opinion, it's a meaningless statement.

They have been wearing from Day 1 your car left the factory, if there was excess play it would be an MOT issue.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to have them replaced until and unless you have any excess play in them.

I was advised the same at a Lexus health check around 18 months ago, with similar costs. I believe the high cost is less about the cost of parts, and more because the Lexus procedure is to lift the engine out, so I'm sure a good independent will have found a cheaper and quicker way.

That said, since then I give them a spray with silicone lubricant every 6 months or so and they haven't been mentioned since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. Will sit tight for now. Literally bought some silicone spray for the slow window movement on another car so will give that a go too.

• Like 1

Theo,

from my years of driving an LS the way to know if bushes are affecting the car are to get my missus to come out for a drive with you (only kidding), but in reality she picks up on the subtle changes as the bushes add a little more roll and instability to the car.

Everytime I got bushes sorted (be it drops links, sway bars, control arms) the good lady would feel less sick.  So at the mo I can tell from clunks and knocks that all my control arms needs going (upper / lower/ front and rear), but the car drives fine to me but makes the wife sicker than a dog,  Not sure how she is going to cope when I pick her up from Heathrow next week.

I would say at 100k bushes are going to start needing a good look at, but it's only if on MOT when on shaker plate they pick up excess movement.  My previous LS had more knackered bushes than an Ozzie drought, but never had any picked up on MOT.

• Thanks 1

Love the response...very funny, Pete.

Well, passed the MOT with no advisories. Drives really well and the only person likely to feel sick going by pass boating experiences is me. My wife didn't bat an eyelid, while I was as sick as a parrot.

Will leave it this year I think. If I keep the car will possibly look at ordering two new lower arms and getting them replaced by a mechanic next year.

Many thanks,

Theo

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links