Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS300 2005 tire pressure sensor

2 hours ago, El1992 said:

Hello I need 4 new tire pressure sensors for my car. Where is the best place for me to order them from please? Thank you

I presume you’re referring to the TPMS valves.

Are you proposing to fit them yourself?

It does take special equipment, after all.

When I needed to replace a broken TPMS valve I drove round to a nearby large tyre retailer.  They had one to match the OE valve and supplied and fitted it was £65 inc VAT.

Perhaps ringing round local tyre retailers might be a good place to start?  Certainly cheaper than the Lexus offering.  And if any tyres need replacing, you could probably negotiate a good deal as the tyre has to come off anyway!

• Like 1

Hello. No I will be getting a garage to fit them. How did you find out which tire sensor needed replacing? I was just going to get all four but I would rather just replace the one that's broken. If it is just the one. Thank you

2 hours ago, El1992 said:

Hello. No I will be getting a garage to fit them. How did you find out which tire sensor needed replacing? I was just going to get all four but I would rather just replace the one that's broken. If it is just the one. Thank you

Well, in my case it was fairly easy.  The valve had been snapped off so the whole unit had to be replaced!

In your case, a tyre retailer will have a handheld sensor that picks up the TPMS signal.  So they can check the Battery and signal levels of each one.

Depending on use, the batteries generally have a life of between seven and ten years.  Which suggests you’re on your second set.

I suggest a tyre retailer rather than a garage because it’s the sort of job they’re doing on a daily basis.   They will also bulk buy the valves so they can retail them at a better price.

I would also suggest checking your Manual regarding the reset procedure.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

I've got leaky tyres AND TPMS issues, so here are some things I found out about TMPS got a 2006 GS450h.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-gs-phase-3-tyre-pressure-monitoring-sensor/
    42607-30042 gsp3    £104

or

https://tpmswarehouse.co.uk/product/lexus-gs-450-2006-2011-replacement-tpms-sensor/
    Suggests 433Mhz  Huf Intellisens £45.60

None of my local tyre places wanted to supply the TPMS, too much hassle to 'program them'. I found a place that is willing to fit them, provided I do the 'programming' so I have ordered one of the Huf sensors and will be programming them using techstream as per this video:

Note that video is not for the UK, we use 433MHz sensors, not the 315MHz ones in the video. I will update how I get on when the sensors arrive.

Just had the sensor warning come on for about 30 seconds flashing and then mysteriously turned itself off. Was on a very slippery and bumpy road in Skye. Generally consensus is 'not to worry' and you can apparently disable this system until you get the sensors replaced?

On checking tyre pressure did find the front offside was inflated to 40psi (whoever repaired the puncture over inflated it) so now all are running at around 33. 

I have had a warning light for 6 months now. The tyres are all newish and I do less than 3000 miles per annum. But the MOT is coming up and I've had to approach Lexus Poole. They want £216 just to tell me that the TPMS needed replacing. I told them that but they wanted £216 to diagnose the problem (when they know what it is) before they would start. I argued the point and they agreed to replace 3 sensors (one of the 4 is only 3 years old) without the £216 fee, and for the 3 they want nearly £900!!!!! £150 per hour for labour, which in itself is an assault on my intelligence. They want an hour to replace each one. Good lord, I'm 80 and I could replace a tyre valve in less than 30 minutes and even less with the right equipment. I wonder why Lexus, who make a great car, want to put me off buying another. If I'd paid the diagnosis fee I'd be looking at £1100, just to change 3 valves. It is without a doubt a stickup! I can do nothing but surrender with my hands up and pray they don't shoot me.

• Sad 1

My TPMS sensor still has not arrived yet, so I can't recommend the seller. But I discovered on the t'interweb that National Tyre claim to be able to diagnose and replace TPMS for ALL makes of car, at all branches.  I wonder if this is true?

On 9/8/2023 at 12:50 PM, Baxiboy said:

I have had a warning light for 6 months now. The tyres are all newish and I do less than 3000 miles per annum. But the MOT is coming up and I've had to approach Lexus Poole. They want £216 just to tell me that the TPMS needed replacing. I told them that but they wanted £216 to diagnose the problem (when they know what it is) before they would start. I argued the point and they agreed to replace 3 sensors (one of the 4 is only 3 years old) without the £216 fee, and for the 3 they want nearly £900!!!!! £150 per hour for labour, which in itself is an assault on my intelligence. They want an hour to replace each one. Good lord, I'm 80 and I could replace a tyre valve in less than 30 minutes and even less with the right equipment. I wonder why Lexus, who make a great car, want to put me off buying another. If I'd paid the diagnosis fee I'd be looking at £1100, just to change 3 valves. It is without a doubt a stickup! I can do nothing but surrender with my hands up and pray they don't shoot me.

Mine's a 2007 GS300 and doesn't require the TPMS to be working to pass the MOT so I'm leaving mine with the warning light on. Haven't checked what the situation is with your 2009. Have you checked re MOT requirements?

37 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Mine's a 2007 GS300 and doesn't require the TPMS to be working to pass the MOT so I'm leaving mine with the warning light on. Haven't checked what the situation is with your 2009. Have you checked re MOT requirements?

Mandatory from only from 2012. Hate TPMS on my 2006 GS, totally useless and can't be disabled. Driving with warning light is an option, but it is kind of annoying because it as well block the small screen for temp/mpg/range.  

Other thing to note - if somebody is deciding to replace them, then go for genuine Toyota ones. 7-10 years lifetime is for genuine sensors, aftermarket ones last few years at best and considering the cost of fitting them (presumably close to £50 - remove the tyre, put the tyre back, rebalance the wheel) there is no reason to waste money.

Obviously the most optimal way - leave it faulty until you need tyres replaced, because then TPMS replacement will basically be free... as removing, refitting and re-balancing tyres will be needed anyway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Other thing to note - if somebody is deciding to replace them, then go for genuine Toyota ones. 7-10 years lifetime is for genuine sensors, aftermarket ones last few years at best and considering the cost of fitting them (presumably close to £50 - remove the tyre, put the tyre back, rebalance the wheel) there is no reason to waste money.

Obviously the most optimal way - leave it faulty until you need tyres replaced, because then TPMS replacement will basically be free... as removing, refitting and re-balancing tyres will be needed anyway.

Interesting that GS phase 3 sensors are £104 from Lexus Parts Direct, but phase 4 ones are £68. I'm thinking of replacing mine at the next tyre change, probably within about 4K miles. The originals are coming up to 9 years old. Is that a good move do you think? (Even though they are working fine at the moment)

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

Interesting that GS phase 3 sensors are £104 from Lexus Parts Direct, but phase 4 ones are £68. I'm thinking of replacing mine at the next tyre change, probably within about 4K miles. The originals are coming up to 9 years old. Is that a good move do you think? (Even though they are working fine at the moment)

That is a dilemma, it is annoying to replace something that is working fine for extra £200, but at the same time not doing it now could cost more later. Kind of typical preventative maintenance question I guess. Even worse I have checked price from US/UAE and it is not much different £57x4+£3.78 delivery + 50% chance to be hit with import duties. 

Finally, TPMS seems to last longer on newer cars - 7-10 years if good estimate for GS3/IS2,but TPMS issues are less common on GS4/IS3, but at the same time only now early GS4s are coming to 10 years of age... on top of that I assume you can see each individual sensor on the dash? So replacing them one by one shouldn't be too difficult. Obviously, on the flip side they are MOT requirement from 2012 so no longer optional.

Do you have techstream? Sometimes techstream allows to check how much Battery life is left?

Sorry, I know I am not helping decision, but in your case I think you can do either - replace all now and have at least 7-8 years of trouble free motoring, or replace them one by one as they go faulty over the course of next few years, maybe even 3-4 years. I don't think you regret it either way. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/8/2023 at 12:50 PM, Baxiboy said:

seen these in carpartsstore, has any one used them? 

Lexus GS April – 2005 Until April – 2012 Pre-Programmed Tyre Pressure Monitor System Sensor With Black Metal Stem

Premium Quality TPMS Sensor

£23.99

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links