Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Programme new key fob

Any help on how to program a brand new key fob 2009 lexus is 250c 

I want to have 2 keys fobs as only

got one it’s ready and waiting but how do I program it ???

thanks

IMG_8201.jpeg

Please bare in mind the 'eBay sold techstream and supplied cable' cannot.code you a new key. You need a proper Vcx cable for that. I know from experience. Bought a used key off eBay tried and tried and failed and failed. Got proper cable and coded first time. 

Others may have had similar or success with the cut down cheaper cable and it would be interesting to know. 

Regards 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ianhu said:

Bought a used key off ebay tried

Well that is your problem right here... Techstream can't programme used keys, it can only program "virgin keys"... so the reason you need proper dealership computer is not to register the key, it is to actually re-set it. Now according to dealers - they can't do it either (even if they actually can), so they will always offer you a new key for £600. Key being ~£450 and the rest for the programming. They as well won't program the key you bright in.

30 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

I’m sure the stealership can do it but my question would be how much when they charging £150 plus vat 

Contact any car lock-smiths, they will be able to program key for you (they basically have more potent version of software which can reset the used keys), but it won't be much cheaper... I reckon £80 if you lucky, but many will ask for £150. The only difference is that they will be quite happy to take key you already have and won't force you to buy brand new one for £450. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Well that is your problem right here... Techstream can't programme used keys, it can only program "virgin keys"... so the reason you need proper dealership computer is not to register the key, it is to actually re-set it. Now according to dealers - they can't do it either (even if they actually can), so they will always offer you a new key for £600. Key being ~£450 and the rest for the programming. They as well won't program the key you bright in.

Contact any car lock-smiths, they will be able to program key for you (they basically have more potent version of software which can reset the used keys), but it won't be much cheaper... I reckon £80 if you lucky, but many will ask for £150. The only difference is that they will be quite happy to take key you already have and won't force you to buy brand new one for £450. 

My key is brand new not used 

2 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

48 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

1 hour ago, Johnlex said:

I’m never buying tech stream or the cables as not trusted tried with tpms once never worked waste of 

You need to look up reseeding. Which is how you reprogram an already programmed key. 

Not too hard to find how I suspect.

I did mine (yeah...from an already programmed key off eBay and my own original key, reprogrammed both at the same time the reseed was done.)  it was the only way. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

Then you can do it yourself with Techstream, only other option is to call lock-smith, or pay Lexus £600. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

I contacted my local Lexus Dealer and they quoted me £693 to programme the key lol. Are they serious?

that’s hilarious 

Yes, but that includes brand new key for £450+VAT. You can't bring your own part to dealership, hence the price. 

I do think it is stupid that they want so much for old car keys... the price was fine when cars were brand new, but by now I think they should include keys in "Lexus Essential" plan (which I believe they have discontinued now), for something like £250 all in. Because when cars are £4000 it is stupid to believe anyone will be paying £693 for key.

• Sad 1

Well the 2  dealerships I use allow me to take all my own service parts any parts needed and I just pay labour at reduced rate also. Even tpms sensors they only charged me £30 to program.

but the key its ridiculous . 

5 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

Well the 2  dealerships I use allow me to take all my own service parts any parts needed and I just pay labour at reduced rate also. Even tpms sensors they only charged me £30 to program.

but the key its ridiculous . 

That would be unusual, I don't know any Lexus dealer that would allow it, but smaller shops may do it. 

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yes, but that includes brand new key for £450+VAT. You can't bring your own part to dealership, hence the price. 

I do think it is stupid that they want so much for old car keys... the price was fine when cars were brand new, but by now I think they should include keys in "Lexus Essential" plan (which I believe they have discontinued now), for something like £250 all in. Because when cars are £4000 it is stupid to believe anyone will be paying £693 for key.

Well they have always done it for me and it’s Lexus motorline  too 

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That would be unusual, I don't know any Lexus dealer that would allow it, but smaller shops may do it. 

I think dealers allow your own parts. Its only when the parts are used that they do not accept it because their liability insurance doesn't cover it. If the part is new its no problem. I recently had my local lexus dealer install brake shims that i ordered online from another source where it was cheaper than the dealership and they only charged me labour to do it. Whereas i remember a few years ago i had a seized rear caliper on my civic and nobody was willing to install a replacement caliper i had sourced from a salvage yard. The reason they gave me was that their insurance doesn't cover it. Finally found someone who did it off the books so I had no recourse if anything went wrong with the install. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Notamech said:

I think dealers allow your own parts. Its only when the parts are used that they do not accept it because their liability insurance doesn't cover it. If the part is new its no problem. I recently had my local lexus dealer install brake shims that i ordered online from another source where it was cheaper than the dealership and they only charged me labour to do it. Whereas i remember a few years ago i had a seized rear caliper on my civic and nobody was willing to install a replacement caliper i had sourced from a salvage yard. The reason they gave me was that their insurance doesn't cover it. Finally found someone who did it off the books so I had no recourse if anything went wrong with the install. 

Not my experience, but I do believe it is possible. They as well generally refuse parts from outside in case they counterfeit or simply wrong model... all goes into that liability.

For keys I guess it is extra difficult as it is considered security feature. 

As well what it depends what is definition of new and how they ensure it is new... who is to say the key from open bag is new? 

• Like 1

As I said - any locksmith can do it for ~£80-£150, so £114 is bang right in the middle of the range. Go for it - you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can do it for less. 

Just now, Linas.P said:

As I said - any locksmith can do it for ~£80-£150, so £114 is bang right in the middle of the range. Go for it - you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can do it for less. 

I will indeed: I hope they cut the blank key for that also. 

6 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

I will indeed: I hope they cut the blank key for that also. 

It may be extra, but not much... I have paid like £13 or £17 for key cut. 

Bear in mind the time you're investing in finding a new alternative also counts for how much you may be saving... If you spend several hours looking for a solution in forums to save 20 quid, yo're essentially working for less than minimim wage.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 8:06 AM, ianhu said:

You need to look up reseeding. Which is how you reprogram an already programmed key. 

Not too hard to find how I suspect.

I did mine (yeah...from an already programmed key off ebay and my own original key, reprogrammed both at the same time the reseed was done.)  it was the only way. 

Hey mate. Would you mind sharing how you managed to program a used key?

I have a used key, vxdiag cable and techstream, but unable to program the used key I have (same part number etc as my original).  

dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links