Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is Size everything?

kevtoon2905

So, tried to buy a new Lexus ES from Lexus in Edinburgh last year, but with delays and no dates for anything for 6 months I cancelled the order. So, fast forward a year, went for another test drive (of the car that would have been mine, which is being used as a demo car now) and it's still very very nice. Ive been offered a crazy deal from a dealer in Exeter which Im really tempted by. So how is everyone finding the size? Im coming from a F31 BMW 320D Estate is is 4.6m in length, with the Lexus being over 4.9m so abit nervous on that such a big car in the UK.

On a secondary point, how's folk finding the mpg on a the motorway?

You get used to it quickly. Some thought is required for parking spaces though - I tend to go for easy end slots in supermarket car parks, far from the hoi polloi. I did surprise myself the other day by parallel parking in a tightish spot with no difficulty at all. The turning circle is rather barge like though.

Economy wise, mine can pootle along at the legal limit in the mid 50s. Others have got closer to 60 though.

It is a long car but as previously stated you do get used to it very quickly, it’s an easy car to live with and you soon get used to doing a 3 point turn to get into parking space due to the oil tanker like turning circle. I am very happy with mine, just done a round trip from Stamford to Nairn, well over 1000 miles, the climate concierge  system took care of the temperature, the radar cruise and Lane assist were invaluable on the 100 plus miles of the A9 from Perth to Inverness and the overall comfort was brilliant, I also have the Mark Levinson sound system which is fantastic. Economy for the whole trip was 54.8 mpg. I tend to get around 55 in summer and about 50 in winter. You won’t be disappointed.

The ES turning circle is quoted as being 11.8m compared to my LS430 at 10.4m.

Both are a similar length but the LS is RWD as opposed to the ES being FWD/AWD.

Parking spaces are generally too narrow and too short so require as James mentions careful consideration.

You do get used to the length. Economy on motorway doing no more than the legal limit is mid 50s at best. I have the  my23 and I have never achieved above 54mpg on the motor way. In fact I did a 120m round trip on the M6 yesterday and achieved 52mpg at an average 56mph according to the lexus link app. 

You get used to the size but the reality is UK infrastructure is not accommodating for a car of this size with limited manoeuvrability. No matter how familiar you become with the size there are challenges with the infrastructure. Some challenges I have had are:

Multi story car park at Gatwick cannot remember which terminal it was, the car simply cannot get around the up and down ramps without stopping engaging reverse and putting a full lock in the appropriate direction all whilst the car beeping away as if the end of the world is nigh. Picking a family member up from Heathrow T4 the kerbs are built out either side on entry to the short stay car park. The ES gets through with probably 3-4 inches either side a slight error and the repair cost could be 4 figures! Parking in York the kerb built out either side again and on a slight corner as well, inches to spare once more. Most parking spaces a significant amount of the car will stick out, Premium Edition has no camera at the front and have had some occasions where the sensors have not detected an obstacle so reverse parking is preferred. UK infrastructure or lack of it can be a challenge for this car sadly. Not trying to put you off but it can be an issue. Also parking in a busy supermarket at peak times is something you may want to avoid!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links