Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cleaner

atticus

As I await for my new-to-me Lexus to come back from the body shop and dealer, I thought I'd ask how people look after the interior of their cars.

Never having had a car that had leather trim apart from seats and the centre console, how do you go about cleaning it?

Are there any products which are recommended? My goto Autoglym vinyl and rubber spray probably wouldn't be recommended here...

Dont think there's much leather, more pleather !

I am using Adams Interior Detailer with Microban. Spray on a microfibre cloth and wipe.

No horrible glossy finish, just clean. It also has UV protection properties. There are different scents (I currently use the Cedarwood) but there's not really a lot of smell to it

• Like 2

I use Autoglym leather balm on the seat facings only.That is the only leather in the car apart from the steering wheel and about 2 square inches on the gearlever.

The rest of the surfaces-dash,door linings,armrests etc are all plastic or vinyl  with a "leather grain"so that's where to use vinyl and rubber spray. Don't overpolish it or the surface gets too shiny.

• Like 1

As I understand it, even real leather car seats are coated with some kind of plastic clear coat,  so I'm not sure that specific leather treatments are needed.

I give everything a dust off and wipe over with a damp cloth, then use 303 aerospace protectant on the leather seats and interior plastics.

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

As I understand it, even real leather car seats are coated with some kind of plastic clear coat,  so I'm not sure that specific leather treatments are needed.

I give everything a dust off and wipe over with a damp cloth, then use 303 aerospace protectant on the leather seats and interior plastics.

Yes, I should have clarified that I meant 'car leather' which is usually treated with some protector.

This is why you don't get dye transfer from jeans / jackets into the seats. However, I think overtime this breaks down and you start to get cracking / wear, so the leather conditioner / cleaner still help.

• Like 1

You're probably right Atticus. My seats don't get too much wear and, on the last couple of cars, when I have started to get some cracks appearing I use a leather colourant,  which has a sealant incorporated into it, which seems to bring the seats up like new again.

2 hours ago, atticus said:

This is why you don't get dye transfer from jeans / jackets into the seats. However, I think overtime this breaks down and you start to get cracking / wear, so the leather conditioner / cleaner still help.

Mmmm, I certainly did get transfer onto my clove coloured leather in the RC and do have transfer onto the white bolsters of my RX, (guess also onto the black centres but it's not visible) but it's relatively easily removed using the giant 'Pritt Stick' stain remover included in the Lexus leather cleaning kit. 

All modern car leathers are PU coated, sealed and impervious. So this is just a surface effect. Some high end models have semi aniline leather which is 'naked' and must be cleaned and treated differently (try the water drop test, apply a drop of water onto the leather, if it's absorbed, naked leather, if it just sits there, sealed leather). I had my C class Mercedes retrimmed with naked nappa leather. Sumptuously soft and smelled lovely but OMG was it a pain to maintain, never again....

Cracking in the surface on 'normal' car seats is just grit and muck eroding the PU coating in the creases. Good routine cleaning with a damp cloth is really all that's needed. Conditioners just sit on the surface and can actually exacerbate the problem by attracting dirt, as it cannot be absorbed by the leather.

Leather colourants and restorers work well by resealing the surface, filling the cracks. Seats must be scrupulously clean before applying.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Mmmm, I certainly did get transfer onto my clove coloured leather in the RC and do have transfer onto the white bolsters of my RX, (guess also onto the black centres but it's not visible) but it's relatively easily removed using the giant 'Pritt Stick' stain remover included in the Lexus leather cleaning kit. 

All modern car leathers are PU coated, sealed and impervious. So this is just a surface effect. Some high end models have semi aniline leather which is 'naked' and must be cleaned and treated differently (try the water drop test, apply a drop of water onto the leather, if it's absorbed, naked leather, if it just sits there, sealed leather). I had my C class Mercedes retrimmed with naked nappa leather. Sumptuously soft and smelled lovely but OMG was it a pain to maintain, never again....

Cracking in the surface on 'normal' car seats is just grit and muck eroding the PU coating in the creases. Good routine cleaning with a damp cloth is really all that's needed. Conditioners just sit on the surface and can actually exacerbate the problem by attracting dirt, as it cannot be absorbed by the leather.

Leather colourants and restorers work well by resealing the surface, filling the cracks. Seats must be scrupulously clean before applying.

Have you a recommended product?

Just now, atticus said:

A damp cloth for routine cleaning and I use Meguiar's Quick interior Detailer for those occasional marks that won't come off with water (my wife loves using hand cream and body lotion that seems to get on door cards and dash lower panels)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, atticus said:

For cleaning, I find any mild soap and water will work. I actually use my rinseless wash solution.

For restoration/sealing, I use a leather colourant from Furniture Clinic, who will colour match to your car's leather.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

off with water (my wife loves using hand cream and body lotion that seems to get on door cards and dash lower panels)

That sounds familiar...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links