Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After my windscreen success, feeling positive that this car will look the business once it has all come together. Need to potentially dismantle the front and rear seats for a number of reasons, so fancied 'tarting up' the tired interior.

The leather seats require some TLC, going to have a go at some DIY repairs, but I can't find the name of the colour for my interior. 1996 LS400 grey leather. Anyone got a scooby on the name? I don't have the car as it is at the bodyshop so can't access the VIN for the 'trim colour' but hoping someone with knowledge can quote the colour name 🙂

And whilst I am seeking advice, if anyone has attempted DIY leather repair on these seats and could give me some pointers (outside of copious youtube video watching) or a recommended kit they have used, that would be smashing. TIA!

• Like 1

I have used renovation kits from a company in Leicester called Nuera Products several times on different cars and they worked well. My interior is also grey so I will have a look in the garage tomorrow and see if I can give you any more information.

I've just checked and the leather touch up dye I used is Scuff Master by Gliptone. The colour is Winchester Grey, which hopefully is the same as yours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

@Howplum thanking you! Have you done any repairs or just touched up with dye and was the touching up sufficient? Will have a look at Gliptone today and get some ordered.

It will depend on the condition of the seats, pictures would help.

If it's just the usual cracks that appear with wear, then I've had a lot of success with just touching up with a colourant/sealant. The one I've used is from Furniture Clinic. who will colour match from a sample if you don't have the exact colour name or number. Clean the seats first with mild soap and water. I assume the Gliptone stuff is similar, if so it's easy to apply, you just wipe it on with a sponge and let it dry. Only takes a few minutes a seat.

Obviously tears will need a proper repair.

• Thanks 1

Another company's products I have used are from Nuera Products Ltd. As well as dyes and all the necessary potions they also do a flexible filler which I found useful when repairing the interior of an old Mercedes SEC.

Ideally they will require a sample to be able to match the colour.

This is the armrest after applying the filler to the corner:

P1040554.thumb.JPG.a8183fa12f3c6275cadce5bc8fe03590.JPG

And the finished product:

P1040564.thumb.JPG.9537cfd83f7b14769819f30b26a5006e.JPG

The seats also turned out well, although no filler was required:

P1040557.thumb.JPG.fcace41f47b741e533e251a20e9430d8.JPGP1040562.thumb.JPG.11184af0de4e5155dc48b68c0f532e40.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mucho gracias, it is just the usual cracks. Will need to give them a proper once over to double check. Currently wrapped and stored in the garage so no pictures available at the moment, but will try and remember to do some before and afters.

Obviously if they were ripped, a proper repair would be required. Was just seeing if I could get away with dye only, before ordering the whole shebang!

A plethora of knowledge as always chaps. Always appreciated!

Just read your entire thread @steve2006, great result after the song and dance of getting a colour match (hence me wanting to do the faffing up front now)

Will probably get some time tomorrow to get the seats out of their current residence and unwrap to inspect but otherwise nothing until next week as graciously the boss (me, I'm self employed) has set aside some car time whilst everyone else pledges allegiance... 😂

• Like 1

Contacted Gliptone and after a quick phone discussion, will be sending off a sample or my headrest to get a colour match and then they'll happily send me a kit.

Got the seats out of storage and gave them a glance over, nothing substantial on the damage front, didn't get around to cleaning them properly as I've stacked 2 sets of wheels in front of my cleaning boxes (of course), so a damp microfibre wipe down had to suffice.

Sent my sun visor off last week, has been received and colour matched. Should be getting my kit this week sometime!

I do plan on deconstructing the seats to try and work out whats going on with the lack of heated seat-ness, before I start to make a hash of it, any recommendations for tools/ methods to removing the hog rings? TIA.

• Like 2

I used two pliers to remove the hog rings, otherwise they have tendency to spin. Likewise reinserting the rings. There are specific hog ring pliers to insert them, because they're more commonly used for fencing, which presumably means the existing ones could be cut.

I'm sure some of us will be interested in your progress on the non-functioning seat heaters.

Thanks, I was wondering whether I cut them or reuse as unsure how easily they'll break. I have hog ring pliers to use to put them back so happy on that front. Will see how fiddly and may result to just cutting and buying new ones!

9 hours ago, Howplum said:

I'm sure some of us will be interested in your progress on the non-functioning seat heaters.

No pressure then! 😛

• Like 2

I just purchased a hog ring kit with the crimp pliers and rings when I did mine from fleabay.

Take plenty of pictures when disassembling regarding fastening positions etc, there are also some tapes on the covers which require tensioning.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @steve2006, got mine from that rainforest website 😉. I take pictures of everything, as I never tend to get the time to put everything back together in one go. Still got all my interior pics from that dismantle, no nuts or bolts left over! 💪

My kit was delivered today, no free time until the weekend so will have stare longingly at it in the meantime!

Hee hee I know that situation, this week the Karcher sprang a leak so google problem, watch Youtube video, dismantle and order part, left in pieces.

Petrol strimmer won’t start, no fuel reaching primer bulb, dismantle to discover fractured fuel line. Order replacement fuel line, left in pieces.

1982 Suzuki GSX 250 arrived complete and running now in various boxes.

Thankfully I drive a Lexus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In a word, "yes". The procedure is clean, repair, colour and seal. Whichever supplier you choose they should supply a kit to cover the whole process.

Dropped all seat related plans to have some enjoyment over half term whilst the wife is off work and the weather favourable.

Have made the executive decision to just repair/ repaint the seats for now. Car should be back with me next week, the weather is nice, so heated seat function is low down priority and I'll save it for a winter job. So the mystery shall remain for now.

Have cleaned the seats and my dad is popping over tomorrow with spray gun to apply dye and newly acquired sealant. Will do my best to get some pics for the forum to assess 😉

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links